Need help with obsidian generator in DW20

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Biidi

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm trying to recreate a fully automatic obsidian generator I made back in 1.4.7 with RedPower and Wireless Redstone. I've got the basic design down but my problem is no way to place redstone dust automatically. In 1.4.7 I used RP's Deployers. I found that OpenBlocks has a Block Placer as well as a Block Breaker. They work fine together so long as I don't try to make the Placer put redstone dust (or blocks) on top of the Breaker. Weird things happen.

Anyway, is there an alternative to the Placer that doesn't involve power? I'm trying to do this with as little power requirements as possible. I had considered using turtles but I don't know how to program them to wait for a signal and then place redstone underneath.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Why not use a more cpu friendly method? Igneous Extruder from Thermal Expansion fed with lava and water make obsidian, stone, cobble. Otherwise I beleive the Thermal Expansion Autonomous Activator would do the job.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Igneous extruder is definitely the way to go. Just pump in water (free with an aqueous accumulator) and lava (via a tessaract or ender tank from the Nether using an enderthermic pump), and you're good to go.

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion 3 should have a Terrain Smasher block that you're looking too if for some reason you don't want to use the Igneous Extruder.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Biidi

Jul 29, 2019
First, the igneous extruder costs a lava source for each obsidian block. My generator only costs 1 redstone dust. Second, that's boring. :p

I'll check out the Autonomous Activator, hopefully that'll do what I'm looking for.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Obsidian from Redstone Dust? What unholy magic is this?

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Let's say you wanted to use a turtle:

Code:
local signalSide = "back" -- ... or where ever the turtle receives its redstone signal from.
turtle.select(1)  -- Ensure the turtle has its first inventory slot selected.

while true do  -- Loop this code block indefinitely.
  os.pullEvent("redstone")  -- Wait for a change in the redstone input.

if rs.getInput(signalSide) then  -- If the signal turned on, then...
    if turtle.getItemCount(1) == 0 then turtle.suckUp() end -- If the turtle is out of items, suck a stack in from an inventory upwards of itself.
    turtle.placeDown()  -- Places an item downward.
  end
end

The idea is you'd put a barrel or chest or something above the turtle and stock that with dust.

You'd want to be careful: If it were me, next thing I'd be doing is giving that turtle a pickaxe, and making it do all the harvesting too.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019

Its a vanilla mechanic where in when an electrified redstone dust has flowing lava on it, the redstone becomes obsidian. You dont need any water for this process, but you are exchanging one redstone for every block of obsidian. I used this back in my vanilla days. Surprised that is still around, and honestly forgot until now :).

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019

The worst kind of magic; vanilla magic.

Normally water plus non-source lava equals cobble, or smoothstone if the lava comes from above. If the lava flows into a space containing redstone with water adjacent so it would normally turn to cobble, you mysteriously get a block of obsidian instead. One bucket of lava and a stack of redstone equals buildings made of obsidian the semi-easy way.

The vanilla wiki has a tweet from Notch expressing surprise that this is a feature and uncertainty over whether it should stay in. The strange behavior has survived many updates and may be an ascended glitch / Easter egg.

Reactions: BreezyTaco

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Its a vanilla mechanic where in when an electrified redstone dust has flowing lava on it, the redstone becomes obsidian. You dont need any water for this process, but you are exchanging one redstone for every block of obsidian. I used this back in my vanilla days. Surprised that is still around, and honestly forgot until now :).
Well, you learn something new every day :D

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you are exchanging 1 redstone for 1 obsidian block to save one bucket of lava. I find redstone to be more precious that lava/obsidian in my vanilla play through.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say you'd still want to use TE for what your trying to do. The autonomous activator can place blocks and does not require power. dont remember if the terain spasher needs power or not, frankly I've had no need for it on my current map.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
There is of course the more obscure way to make Obsidian from string. Similar in style to the Redstone system, but again, it's a weird vanilla mechanic that may be fixed(some day, anyway).

Also, there is the GT Rockbreaker, which when given Redstone, makes Obsidian instead of cobblestone. Rather handy IMO.

Biidi

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the suggestions. Got it working with the TE machines. Had to use some Buildcraft structure pipes and gates to keep the Terrain Smashers from eating the redstone the instant it was place since the red alloy wire was turning EVERYTHING on even with covers/strips dividing things.

And here's the end result for anyone who's interested.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/Biidi/2014-01-24_140920_zpsfb29156b.png
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/Biidi/2014-01-24_141055_zps75e08392.png

There's another timer off to the right that pulses the Terrain Smashers via the BC pipe wire and gates. Right now it makes 4 obsidian in 11 seconds but it's easily expandable.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah. You've got it all running on the same wire color. That's why it was all going at once. A slight modification with another color of wire delayed by a repeater would also do the trick, if you didn't have Buildcraft.

Biidi

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. You've got it all running on the same wire color. That's why it was all going at once. A slight modification with another color of wire delayed by a repeater would also do the trick, if you didn't have Buildcraft.
I had it using white and orange but (unless it's different in Project Red) you have to switch to the plain wire to transmit the signal to the block it's sitting on. A signal from the orange wire that triggers the breakers was also triggering the pistons and auto-whatchamacallits even with cover strips to keep things separate. The orange wire at first connected to the bundled cable that goes up the wall then across to the breakers.

The original version used redstone pneumatic tubes to send signals as well as transfer items. I tried using standard BC pipes to transfer stuff to/from the TE machines but they don't connect anymore. That would have solved a lot of problems. Hopefully Project Red will implement them, as well as making them play nice with all the other mods that use transfer pipes/tubes/conduits.