My redwood base build

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
It's still very much a work in progress but here is what I have so far on my base built among redwoods. I planted 4 trees in a square as the conerstones. (One of the trees is off by one block though --- Grrrr.)
My plan is to make it look like a little elven village that is built both in and around the trees.

I'll have rooms in the trunks that spread out into huts that are built onto the sides of the trees for levels that are above the ground. I haven't decided what to do with the tops though--Maybe some type of a scenic look out point or something.

I'm still trying to decide what materials work best with the wood (hence the walls of various mats). Using all this wood in my build is scary....definately have to put the blaze spawner in a very secure basement if I ever create one.
2013-11-26_151544_zps5b86a0a6.png

2013-11-26_151630_zpsee0242dd.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
There's a "show us your bases" thread in the Community showroom section for these things.
Personally I think it looks a bit odd that the trees are so perfectly(nearly :p) placed. I would have planted them a bit random to induce a more natural feel to it.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Some players have reported lag with the redwoods - how's your frame rate? I'm impressed, and thinking to do something similar :)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'd suggest expanding your forest even further and do it non-symmetrically. Symmetry is nice but too much tends to feel wrong. You do have a good amount of potential there though :)

Reactions: BeastFeeder

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Hoff, maybe plant some oak, birch, and jungle (1x1 and 2x2) and then in random spots do more redwoods and then make bridges to make more nature, and neat stuff!

Reactions: BeastFeeder

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
One word(ok 2 words): Wookie village!

But I guess the trees aren't tall enough for that...

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Some players have reported lag with the redwoods - how's your frame rate? I'm impressed, and thinking to do something similar :)
I was getting a lot of lag when I was waiting for them to grow, but its not too bad now. I just play on a core i5 laptop so I have somewhat reduced settings anyway.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I was hoping that redwoods would be able to grow in smaller sizes if planted in smaller grids, but they're more of a one size fits all sort of deal. I'm definitely going to put a forest around them with more redwoods and a lot of other big trees (spruce/jungle tree sized) that are added by natura. I just need to discover them first. I thought about jungle trees but they're so vanilla.

I want it to look like a forest that is mainly the normal sized large trees with the redwoods interspersed and standing taller than the rest.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I was hoping that redwoods would be able to grow in smaller sizes if planted in smaller grids, but they're more of a one size fits all sort of deal. I'm definitely going to put a forest around them with more redwoods and a lot of other big trees (spruce/jungle tree sized) that are added by natura. I just need to discover them first. I thought about jungle trees but they're so vanilla.

I want it to look like a forest that is mainly the normal sized large trees with the redwoods interspersed and standing taller than the rest.

I wish this was possible aswell, growing redwoods in smaller sizes. would be an interesting build

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I wish this was possible aswell, growing redwoods in smaller sizes. would be an interesting build
Well there is always a way. Did once harvest logs and leaves from 2-3 Twilight oak trees in TF and used it to build an even bigger tree in overworld. By hand! Server crashed a couple weeks later and owner refused to give me the save. Never even got a screenshot of it :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Well there is always a way. Did once harvest logs and leaves from 2-3 Twilight oak trees in TF and used it to build an even bigger tree in overworld. By hand! Server crashed a couple weeks later and owner refused to give me the save. Never even got a screenshot of it :p

aawh, that's sad to hear. that's a reason why I don't always like playing on servers, as your builds are in the hands of other people

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
aawh, that's sad to hear. that's a reason why I don't always like playing on servers, as your builds are in the hands of other people
Yeah its a real problem. I want to play with other people, but I don't want the eventual instability that usually arises after a while, resulting in loosing it all.
Worst thing was that the giant tree was just one "small" part of the build :p I have never really bothered to invest a lot on a server since. Or at least not intended to.