My new (to me) PC

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
I was just wanting some insight on my new comp. I was really hoping to get my fps up and so far its been lower. I was playing on my brothers macbook before and i could at least play, terrible FPS but playable and had all the graphics turned all the way down. Here his Macs specs:
Pentium Core 2 Duo at 2.1 ghz
4GB Ram
? GPU 256mb
400GB HDD
Java 7
1TB HDD, practicly empty save for minecraft
2GB Radeon GPU
Windows 7 ultimate
Java 8
I cant seem to get the FPS above 5 and it kind of hovers around 0-1 for some strange reason. Im positive it isnt just my hardware, perhaps someone can enlighten me on what I am doin wrong or what the problem could be...

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe i was wrongm i guess i have java 7, it is 64 bit, as is my windows, I keep goin back and forth between allocating 2gb and 3gb of RAM, the lagometer wheel in f3 is almost always purple (tick), do i just have too many mods ?

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Update:
Upon UN-installing optifine, I went from <10 fps to 30-50, depending on what I am doing. Never knew how great minecraft can really look til i got this new card and an HD widescreen LCD monitor...I will miss random mobs and I was hopong to get connected textures working someday...but oh well...

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Update:
Upon UN-installing optifine, I went from <10 fps to 30-50, depending on what I am doing. Never knew how great minecraft can really look til i got this new card and an HD widescreen LCD monitor...I will miss random mobs and I was hopong to get connected textures working someday...but oh well...
works for me, but not for everyone.(optifine)

TheReduxPL

Jun 8, 2013
This PC looks quite weird. Worse CPU than before? What is your PSU (power supply unit - manufacturer, model and power) and your graphics card (not just the memory amount!)?
Also why do you need a Windows 7 Ultimate? I'm pretty sure that functions like BitLocker or domain support won't be used by you, am I wrong? Windows 7 Home Premium is enough for every gamer. I'm pretty sure you didn't buy this OS - if you were capable of obtaining the Ultimate version of Windows 7, you would have buy yourself a way better rig ;)

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
This PC looks quite weird. Worse CPU than before? What is your PSU (power supply unit - manufacturer, model and power) and your graphics card (not just the memory amount!)?
Also why do you need a Windows 7 Ultimate? I'm pretty sure that functions like BitLocker or domain support won't be used by you, am I wrong? Windows 7 Home Premium is enough for every gamer. I'm pretty sure you didn't buy this OS - if you were capable of obtaining the Ultimate version of Windows 7, you would have buy yourself a way better rig ;)

keep in mind his old hardware was a macbook. his new cpu is fine for most packs.

his graphics card is fine, whatever it is. it's a dedicated gpu, and with that much memory, it's more than fine. it almost doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's dedicated and not onboard. I still don't understand why people continue to persist with the idea that minecraft requires a cutting edge gpu.

his new hardware should do him fine for every pack except the huge ones like resonant rise. while he shouldn't expect to see 100+fps in monster, it should be a playable 40-50. I'm looking suspiciously at his software and/or OS configuration. possibly that copy of windows he downloaded is dirtier than the girl I took to prom.

Reactions: DiamondArrow

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
. I'm looking suspiciously at his software and/or OS configuration. possibly that copy of windows he downloaded is dirtier than the girl I took to prom.
You took someone to prom? That's better than half the people on this forum :p
(Me included)

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
/rant
prom is a joke. They play songs make you do something stupid in middle school. Then in high school you probably make a horrible mistake that effects the rest of your life, and it even can make people depressed. It was a horrible idea. I mean if you like/love/whatever someone take them out alone and do something special. Don't take them to a public event that means nothing
/rant

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
/rant
prom is a joke. They play songs make you do something stupid in middle school. Then in high school you probably make a horrible mistake that effects the rest of your life, and it even can make people depressed. It was a horrible idea. I mean if you like/love/whatever someone take them out alone and do something special. Don't take them to a public event that means nothing
/rant
*silence*
*some guy in the back starts clapping*
*thunderous applause*

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kill-Joy

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
/rant
/rant
prom is a social thing to a lot of people; people like my/anyone's date. sometimes you do things you don't like doing in order to get something you want. dig?

TheReduxPL

Jun 8, 2013
keep in mind his old hardware was a macbook. his new cpu is fine for most packs.

his graphics card is fine, whatever it is. it's a dedicated gpu, and with that much memory, it's more than fine. it almost doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's dedicated and not onboard. I still don't understand why people continue to persist with the idea that minecraft requires a cutting edge gpu.

his new hardware should do him fine for every pack except the huge ones like resonant rise. while he shouldn't expect to see 100+fps in monster, it should be a playable 40-50. I'm looking suspiciously at his software and/or OS configuration. possibly that copy of windows he downloaded is dirtier than the girl I took to prom.
I have never said Minecraft needs top-tier GPU's but also have in mind that it won't run well on a cheap one. If he's going to specifically play Minecraft, he should get an NVidia card - for some reason, AMD GPUs are not running Minecraft very well and he might have framerate drops even on cards like HD7870 XT. Memory amount means nothing in this game and it should never be taken as performance determinant.

We all also might be skipping the one important possibility - he's running on WDDM drivers/he haven't installed the drivers from AMD site.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
prom is a social thing to a lot of people; people like my/anyone's date. sometimes you do things you don't like doing in order to get something you want. dig?
I understand what your saying, but really I don't care what other people think of me. I am assuming(always a bad thing to do, but I will go ahead) that you meant getting something you want was being liked by the crowd. This brings something to mind that I read in a psychology book that a bunch of small relationships (being liked by the crowd) can actually be damaging, but few deep relationships are much better for your psyche.
So, i don't care what the crowd thinks of me, but I do care what my true friends think of me.
disclaimer: this is all my personal opinion.
#thread derail

Reactions: buggirlexpres

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I understand what your saying, but really I don't care what other people think of me. I am assuming(always a bad thing to do, but I will go ahead) that you meant getting something you want was being liked by the crowd. This brings something to mind that I read in a psychology book that a bunch of small relationships (being liked by the crowd) can actually be damaging, but few deep relationships are much better for your psyche.
So, i don't care what the crowd thinks of me, but I do care what my true friends think of me.
disclaimer: this is all my personal opinion.
#thread derail
No, you're still focusing in on the "pleasing the crowd" thing. Nothing at all like what I meant. :p my outlook on prom was "Ignore the crowd, screw what they think. they're there for the wrong reasons, not you."

I have never said Minecraft needs top-tier GPU's but also have in mind that it won't run well on a cheap one. If he's going to specifically play Minecraft, he should get an NVidia card - for some reason, AMD GPUs are not running Minecraft very well and he might have framerate drops even on cards like HD7870 XT. Memory amount means nothing in this game and it should never be taken as performance determinant.
buddy, I just did some minecraft benchmarking on some old hardware a couple weeks ago. hardware right around the age of his:
pentium E5200
4gb ddr2 1600
nvidia gt 210 1gb

the above hardware played monster at 60fps, and resonant rise at 15fps. his gpu is overkill for minecraft. if he sees lag now it's software/config (this includes drivers). end of story.

and it's understandable that the HD7870 XT would show some framerate drop if the rest of the system was slack. You can't expect to throw a big, hard hitting DirectX optimized gpu at minecraft and expect ZOMGPerformance. Minecraft is a singlethreaded OpenGL game. That's like sending Pacquiao in to his next fight with one arm tied behind his back; Yeah he's a badass, but not like that.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
No, you're still focusing in on the "pleasing the crowd" thing. Nothing at all like what I meant. :p my outlook on prom was "Ignore the crowd, screw what they think. they're there for the wrong reasons, not you."
Ah I see what you're getting at, and that part of prom is good. However, it is not why most people are there
the thread derail is real.

TheReduxPL

Jun 8, 2013
pentium E5200
4gb ddr2 1600
nvidia gt 210 1gb

the above hardware played monster at 60fps, and resonant rise at 15fps. his gpu is overkill for minecraft. if he sees lag now it's software/config (this includes drivers). end of story.
I just said NVidia GPUs are performing a whole lot better than its AMD equivalents (when talking about Minecraft; in other games, results may vary of course). My friend's GeForce 7600GT can reach up to 200 fps in vanilla Minecraft while the 2x more expensive AMD card can't usually reach the half of that.
And how do you know his GPU is overkill? "AMD Radeon 2GB" is a phrase that can even include cards like Radeon HD5450 which can barely run vanilla. Before we step any further, we need more details!

Last edited: