Moving carts through Mystcraft portals

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brammm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to set up Mystcraft portals to move liquid carts with lava from the nether to the overworld, as seen here on Reddit. However, it's not working for me.

Here's what I did: Created 3*4 portal (so a 1*2 hole) in overworld and created linking book right in front of it, back facing the portal. Went to the nether, made the second portal, created a linking book the same way. Attached overworld linking book to nether portal, travelled to overworld, and attached the nether linking book. This works perfectly when I travel through the portals, it looks exactly like I'm simply walking through the portals and I can continue walking (or turn 180° and go back).

However, I've now laid tracks going to the portals and as soon as a cart hits the portal, it's starts spazzing out. It seems like mystcraft is trying to move it, but it's stuck in a loop: I see a shitton of particles and the travel sound is spammed.

Have I created my linking books too close to my portals? Does it matter? Did I do something wrong? If anything isn't clear, I'll upload a screenshot tonight.

I've read somewhere that Direwolf made a similar system, but can't find the video, would anyone be able to link me to it?

Miksu

Jul 29, 2019
I had same problem, but I solved it by making a linking books right at the booster track below/on top of the liquid un/loader.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019

Here's Dire episode, maybe he started at episode 10, but there's the heart of the matter. Anyway, the most common problem I had was keeping nether AND overworld chunk loaded: I just put a world anchor in the nether and I travelled perfectly but the cart didn't. Maybe if you could provide some screenshots we could help.

Or yeah, it coul be the problem Miksu pointed out. You you create the linkbook too close to the portal, the cart seems to act a bit buggy. Try his workaround ;)

Reactions: Brammm

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure the exit is one block infront of the entry portal, so that it doesn't land inside the portal and get teleported again.

DaWhiskers

Jul 29, 2019
Another alternative is to use the portals horizontally and have the cart fall into it. I use this for both my lava carts and for transporting oil back to my base for processing.

Reactions: Thuulstrea

chaossdragon

Jul 29, 2019
Simple method is to do this...

# : block with lever
X : booster track
= : normal track
[] : loader/unload with holding track
|| : portal

#x===[]===||

Mark your link books at the X facing the portal.
allow a couple blocks worth of track for the teleportation time of the cart.

Brammm

Jul 29, 2019
Simple method is to do this...

# : block with lever
X : booster track
= : normal track
[] : loader/unload with holding track
|| : portal

#x===[]===||

Mark your link books at the X facing the portal.
allow a couple blocks worth of track for the teleportation time of the cart.
Thanks for the hint! Do I need another type of track under the liquid loader, or will it work "as is"?

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
A Holding rail is what you need under the loader, same with the unloader

ermmm I think it's holding rail lolol could be a boarding or embarking rail just place it while facing the portal. I think Holding is right I am not able to pull MC up ATM sorry lol

chaossdragon

Jul 29, 2019
yes a holding track works both ways. unloader with track on top and track under a loader. (also the loader can be a couple blocks higher... it will extend a tube to the cart. really cool to watch)

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I used boarding rails for mine.

I also had the same issue, but then I moved the spawn point with the book away from the portal and it worked, I think if the spawn point is next to the portal it will keep going back and forth like a crazy cart!

chaossdragon

Jul 29, 2019
one extra thing to do, is a secondary book when visiting/loading after a server restart. if the cart is at the booster track and you step through the portal, bad things can and will happen when you and the cart are in the same space...

did that in the nether and ended up 'under' my pump chamber and took a nice toasty bath...

Reactions: Brammm

Brammm

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the tip! If you only use one book, you should make sure to only travel to the nether when the cart's in the overworld then?

chaossdragon

Jul 29, 2019
pretty much. hope you don't lag and the cart shows up on you... its a risk but doable. just move off the track fast as you can.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't want to watch a server play have a look at my video which shows you how to setup a quarry in a mystcraft world.

Oh and reading back I travel through the portal when the carts are there, they never move.

Reactions: Golrith and Brammm

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
thanks for posting that video. Always wondered how the mystcraft portals worked, and having never touched railcraft, I've also learnt some practical uses of that.