Monster Power Sources

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

nardavin

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I am looking to make a new base on my world and I am wondering what sources of power I should use. Normally, I would just use IC2 solar panels and power converters to make get all the other types of power, but it seems too cheaty and it doesn't look nearly as cool as some other types of power would. So my question is what type of power do you guys use so i can get an idea of what I should use. Screenshots are appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactors are pretty amazing at producing tons of RF. Reactor craft has some pretty powerful reactors(if you have the resources, time, and computer for it). Engineers toolbox has several ways of making RF, one of which is by using photoreactors and algae. (KirinDave does so within a couple of episodes starting at episode 6 in his lets play series here:
)

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If you feel like diving into Blood Magic and setting up a large LP generation system, several Lava Crystals (I'm talking 20+) can be helpful. They can replace solid fuels such as coal in generators, furnaces, etc.

And as said above, Big Reactors produce a ton of RF and are pretty cool.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I like to use the survivalist generator from XU when I'm starting out.
Then I will try for a Blood Magic's Lava Crystal as soon as possible and dump one into the survivalist generator.
Later on would be Big Reactors and followed by Big Reactors' reactor turbines fed by RailCraft's steam boilers that are fueled by tree farms.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
A nice method is to generate steam with factorization either with the Cagliostro's caliometric burner or a fc solar farm (which is 98.36x cooler than ic2 solar BTW) and to run that through a big reactor or a set of te3 stream dynamos

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Make some steam dynamos, use coal in them. later replace them with the dynamo of your choice. Magmatics for cheaty nether lava power, compression to take advantage of the many liquid fuels or the reactant dynamo which takes both liquid and solid fuel. Different fuels will require different amounts of effort and planning so its up to you. I like oil.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I quite like the compression or reactant Dynamo's from Thermal expansion
Rf is quite versatile across mods, and it forces you to think about how you could create a base that was run off experience
or what about gunpowder and sewerage?

Think up some interesting combinations

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
+1 for thermal expansion. The update has made it even more wonderfuller than before (and yes, that is now a word even if it doesn't know it yet :p)

On my new world I decided to go without IC2, so I've started with steam and magmatic dynamos from TE3, while my power room has a nice tall alcove set aside for a BigReactor when I have enough stuff. BigReactors are relatively cheap to setup and intuitive to work with.

For more extreme things, Reactorcraft fusion reactors look IMMENSELY fun and complex and powerful.

I haven't used blood magic but lots of people have said very intriguing things about it.