Mojang Update Plan

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
So this video is about the story of Mojang and how it came to be... but this screenshot here is what I found most interesting:

ZFk1C7Ml.jpg

Now this is from back in 2011 so some of these have already happened, but, right at the top of the list:
MOD SUPPORT!
The video is
and that is from 20 minutes in.

For those of you wondering, the bullet points are:
  • Mod Support
  • Creative Mode (Different from Classic Mode)
  • Stability and Presentation
  • More Content
  • Opportunity to play on maps of limited size
  • Server lists ingame
  • Friends list
  • A better format for save files
  • Achievements

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Well, they are working on mod support, aren't they? There's a reason why they hired the Bukkit staff. :p
Providing mod support is not an easy task if you didn't plan to provide that at the beginning (and as we know, Notch didn't think Minecraft would ever be so successful).

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Searge was hired to do dinnerbone's job because dinnerbone didn't do dinnerbone's job.
(well DB and 3 others. Over a year ago. By comparison how long did it take Flowerchild, SpaceToad and Eloraam to release the first version of Forge?)

The question being- what happens to MCP now the guy doing it been hired into Mojang?
(MCP is effectively the source code for a closed-source game; since the main guy developing and distributing this now works for Mojang, this could cause a few legal/political hiccups.)​

Reactions: SpitefulFox

MrJeff

Jul 29, 2019
Unless it means that they bought the rights to MCP as well, and then MCP can become part of Minecraft code by design.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Searge was hired to do dinnerbone's job because dinnerbone didn't do dinnerbone's job.
(well DB and 3 others. Over a year ago. By comparison how long did it take Flowerchild, SpaceToad and Eloraam to release the first version of Forge?)

The question being- what happens to MCP now the guy doing it been hired into Mojang?
(MCP is effectively the source code for a closed-source game; since the main guy developing and distributing this now works for Mojang, this could cause a few legal/political hiccups.)​
+1's for days.

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
Unless it means that they bought the rights to MCP as well, and then MCP can become part of Minecraft code by design.

Unless I'm mistaken MCP is a deobfuscator for minecraft code(identifies the functions so Forge/CoreMods can hook into it).
Which has been ofuscated by Mojang in the first place.
Hard to see how that would become part of Minecraft code by design :p.

I'm not too worried about MCP, it's a whole team working on it, just not Searge.

As for mod support... In theory mojang has been working on it for 2~3 years already and frankly I have no idea what has been achieved towards that(they're removing the block IDs which is good I guess but not that complicated a step).
Hopefully Searge has been hired to add code that will provide easy hooks for Forge.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
  • Mod Support
  • More Content
  • Server lists ingame
  • Friends list
  • Achievements
Here's a list for you all. Stroke through things are done, underlined kinda halfish done.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
  • Mod Support
  • More Content
  • Server lists ingame
  • Friends list
  • Achievements
Here's a list for you all. Stroke through things are done, underlined kinda halfish done.
L.O.L

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
As for mod support... In theory mojang has been working on it for 2~3 years already and frankly I have no idea what has been achieved towards that(they're removing the block IDs which is good I guess but not that complicated a step).

There has been plenty of small steps toward this goal.
  • Merge SSP into a client/server app.
  • Texture packs now use one file per block.
  • Textures moved into resource packs.
  • A launcher that actually supports profiles and various MC versions.
  • Removal of the block ID system. So no more block ID conflicts.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
There has been plenty of small steps toward this goal.
  • Merge SSP into a client/server app.
  • Texture packs now use one file per block.
  • Textures moved into resource packs.
  • A launcher that actually supports profiles and various MC versions.
  • Removal of the block ID system. So no more block ID conflicts.
Wait, really? Can you elaborate on the last one?

Reactions: SpitefulFox

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, really? Can you elaborate on the last one?
The last one is incorrect. They are basically hiding item IDs, not doing anyway with them. They are still there, but they recommend using the name associated with the item. So "/give player IC2CopperIngot" would be an example of the new system, instead of "/give player <id>"

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
The last one is incorrect. They are basically hiding item IDs, not doing anyway with them. They are still there, but they recommend using the name associated with the item. So "/give player IC2CopperIngot" would be an example of the new system, instead of "/give player <id>"
So there are still ID Conflicts?

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
Recent versions of Forge have started to alert about those IDnames(here is one of many, many, mannnnyyy alerts):
2013-11-14 22:57:42 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] Found anonymous item of class net.minecraft.item.ItemBlock with ID 1275 owned by mod Mystcraft, this item will NOT survive a 1.7 upgrade!

Nooooo, my 1.7 upgrade, wait what? :p