Modpack idea: Wrath of the Angry Gods (HQM)

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
So before I begin, I just want to get this off my chest:
I am not into authoring modpacks, and I don't like coding.

However, I am a YouTuber and Streamer and player who is very creative and many times have lots of ideas (such as this) floating around his head.

So I am starting this thread to put out this idea into the community, start a discussion about it, and hopefully someone will like this idea so much that they will go ahead and make it a reality.

With that out of the way, let's begin.

Modpack Name; Wrath of the Angry (or Mad) gods
Style: High Magic, Moderate tech with tower defense-like gameplay, with a focus on multplayer on a small server.
Concept: I've always loved tower defense games; they are casual strategy games with the focus of defeating waves of enemies to protect a city, town, fort, farm, you name it. Over the recent years I've seen co-operative tower defense games that you play with other players, such as Dungeon Defenders. Well, I've always though it be wonderful to bring Dungeon defenders like gameplay to a modded minecraft server.

Backstory: The backstory for this pack is simple: You are among one of several heroes that have been drawn to this world to visit (enter city name), which is known throughout the minecraftian multiverse for it's beauty. In the center of the city a beautiful (crystal, object made out diamonds, or other powerful magical monument, etc.) that is rumored to be the first thing that the gods of this world had created, and it gives life to the world.

However, as you and the other heroes arrive, you learn that the city is under great threat. The former (but now deceased) leader of the city had committed some dark evil deed that has angered the gods themselves, and now they are planning this world's destruction by sending their minions to destroy the object at the center of the city that is the beating heart of this world. So with little time, the heroes set up their homes surrounding the city and prepare to defend the city and the object from the coming onslaught.

Gameplay: on a server, 3 to 6 players spawn in and begin building their bases outside the city with the goal of setting up a perimeter around the city, funneling the minions into corridors of death that they have to pass through to reach the city. Although each of them is building their own bases, they are encouraged to help each other in making progress., as well as finding a way to connect their bases without leaving weak spots that the minions can infiltrate into the perimeter they are setting up. This ensures that when the assaults begin, that they can use this inter-connectivity to help each other in the defense of the city.

This world has the convenience of technology, but all technology is powered through magical means. This means that power is generated magically, distributed magically, and used by machines magically.

When the players first arrive, the world is kind of peaceful and they do not face many threats while building, farming, mining, and exploring. However, after a certain number of days (to be determined; somewhere between 7 days min, to 20 days max.); a portal opens up outside the city and monsters start pouring through, heading right for the city. The portal stays open until:
A: 2 to 4 days (yet to be determined) has passed.
B: The heart of the world has been destroyed
C: The portal has been destroyed
(days refers to the 20 min day/night cycle in the game.)

Once the portal is gone, the heroes have yet again a certain number of days before the next wave begins. However, the dangers they face now increase for they can encounter monsters trapped in this world after the portal(s) has closed while doing their mining, farming, building, or exploring. This danger increases with each new wave. When a portal opens up, the players can decide to attack the monsters while they are traveling through the corridors of death, or to wait at the entrances to the city for any surviving monster to arrive.

Each new wave includes one or more portals opening up. As time goes on, the waves come more frequently and the portals stay open longer. Also the monsters that arrive get stronger and stronger and become harder to kill.

A few days after the 9th to 12th assault wave of monsters, the final wave arrives, coming with the toughest monsters ever seen, and maybe even the angry(mad) gods themselves. The 8 portals that open up surrounding the city stay open for 7 to 14 days, continually spitting out monsters until:
1. The wave ends at 7 to 14 days or
2. the heart of the world is destroyed
3. The angry (mad)gods are defeated at the hands of the heroes. (of course they are not truly defeated, but they instead decide to leave and not to destoy the world when bested.)

Suggested Mods for the modpack:
Hardcore Questing Mode (for the questbook)
Tinker's Constructs
Iguana's Tweaks
Thaumcraft
Thaumic Energistics
Applied Energistics
Technomancy
Thermal Expansion
Automangy
Ars Magica
(more to be listed once i done more research into magic, magic-based tech, and monster mods.)

So that is basically my idea.

Last edited:

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
So I was looking at the magic mods available for minecraft. I said the description that all technology should be magically powered. Well after doing some research, I found two mods, Thaumcraft and Botania, that provide for that. I will begin a list of suggested mods in the description.

xXGamerFoLifeXx

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting ill be happy to to take on this project. I know you had that long explanation and stuff but a few questions. Do you want this back to be heavy 100+ mods, moderate 50-100 mods, or lite 50- mods? and. Do you want this pack done by a certain time?

TheEpic5

Jul 29, 2019
It's a very interesting idea with a more of a Multiplayer instead of a solo idea! I'll put this is my signature, if it's ok with you.

_MasterEnderman_

Jul 29, 2019
Great idea I have to say... Never read about a multiplayer based modpack before. I'll keep an eye on it. Also would like to see bloodmagic together with forbidden magic (thaumcraft add-on for some crossover interaction) in this pack, because the modular custom spell system that comes with it is really neat for fighting against big amounts of mobs.

xXGamerFoLifeXx

Jul 29, 2019
So i have been fairly busy this week so i didnt get as much work done in the pack as i wanted to but i do have a bunch of mods down, about 75 right now, but im looking for suggestions on other mods i should add. Here is the mods i have in the pack right now:

• Ae2
  • Automagy
  • Botania
  • Nei
  • Extrautilites
  • Hqm
  • Iguana Tweaks
  • Infernal mobs
  • Journeymap
  • Lycanites mobs
  • Minions
  • Multimine
  • natura
  • Necromancy
  • neiaddons
  • Netherores
  • ProjectE
  • Random things
  • Redstone Aresonal
  • Special Mobs
  • Spice of Life
  • Stalker Creepers
  • Tinker's
  • Thaumcraft
  • Thaumicenergistics
  • Thermal Expansion
  • Thermal Foundation
  • Twilight forest
  • Waila
  • Ars Magic

Yes i know it doesnt look like a long list but it says 75 mods on the minecraft tile screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: OpenWorldAddict

Awerick11

Jul 29, 2019
Add PorjectRed and EnderIO, also Blood magic, and forbidden magic, and how about either spice of life or hunger overhaul, since you don't get much time in the pack to prepare.

xXGamerFoLifeXx

Jul 29, 2019
Blood magic added, Spice of life was already in, hunger overhaul added, Ender Io added, forbidden magic added, Project red added. We are now up to 91 mods on the title screen.

HeroGabe

Jul 29, 2019
Add Chisel... and make uses for the chisel blocks using Minetweaker, like Voidstone is used in some turrets and such...

Also add Thaumic Horizons, a very good mod. It would help quite a bit with the hordes of mobs... Mine and Blade wouldn't be too bad to add, would it?

spendabuck

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to recommend the following mods:

The Elysium and/or Aether II - These are both amazing dimensions & I believe that they would fit in perfectly with the theme of Greco-Roman mythology & the like.

Elysium:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...e-elysium-a-greek-themed-dimension-for-heroes (requires Crafting Pillars; is already linked)

Aether II:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...ha-aether-ii-genesis-of-the-void-new-textures

Grimoire of Gaia 3 - Grimoire of Gaia 3 adds many mythological & other fantasy mobs into the game; many mobs spawn in specific biomes (e.g. Sphinxes will spawn in deserts & Centaurs will spawn in Plains) & fit in well with Minecraft in my opinion.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...rimoire-of-gaia-3-1-0-9-mobs-monsters-monster

Custom NPCs - Many people probably know this mod, but if not, this mod allows you to create, well, custom NPCs. Anything from merchants to companions to even bosses. This mod could be used to create custom residents of the aforementioned town as well as custom bosses based on the gods that were mentioned earlier.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1278956-custom-npcs

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
don't forget technomancy. It is basically a bridge between thermal expansion's Redstone Flux and Thaumcraft's essentia.

I have to agree with custom npc's or mca, because without people living in the city, all your really defending is a crystal and possibly the overall world. Having unique people in the city gives more meaning to defending it.

I look forward to seeing this progress, and possibly even alpha/beta testing it with some other people.

xXGamerFoLifeXx

Jul 29, 2019
don't forget technomancy. It is basically a bridge between thermal expansion's Redstone Flux and Thaumcraft's essentia.

I have to agree with custom npc's or mca, because without people living in the city, all your really defending is a crystal and possibly the overall world. Having unique people in the city gives more meaning to defending it.

I look forward to seeing this progress, and possibly even alpha/beta testing it with some other people.
When ever i put techonomancy in it crashes and im not sure why. sorry might be a conflict between mods.

Also once the quests are done i could do an alpha test for my youtube channel and i could possible see if the guy i have doing the quests will join me for it. After alpha we might be able to do a bigger server thing with a bunch of other people.

Last edited: