Modded MC becoming to stressful to play.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
When FTB (and more specifically the direwolf20 modpack) was released I was really excited. I was excited for a legal modpack that would be supported by the modders, updated automatically, and have a community that doesn't constantly create drama, and to not have to worry about my world breaking. Now I'm afraid to even play anymore. In the last couple weeks there seems to have been a lot of drama in the community but also among the modders themselves(not talking about the ones like greenwolf and flowerchild but the actual FTB modders). Calclavia taking over MFFS and closing its source (and I heard rumors he was gonna make it require UE) searge making his own version, richard G ripping out large portions of his mod for seemingly no reason, eloraam has apparently disappeared completely. Which normally wouldn't be a big deal but I'm scared because even Etho was talking about it. While I enjoy all the new cool stuff I get from playing with mods I'm honestly terrified of losing major mods that I rely on (or at least parts of them) every time it updates. A large majority of the community seems to want FTB to get rid of Redpower and anything else that isn't updated even though it will destroy almost every world. And just to be clear i'm not saying that eloraam or anyone else "owes" me anything or even complaining that they are taking too long to update. I'm fine with waiting months as long as I know that when it finally updates my world won't be broken. But the fact that eloraam has seemingly not even talked to slowpoke, direwolf or anyone else really concerns me that she might have abandoned the mod altogether. Especially due to how the community acts. Its not just redpower I'm worried about misc peripherals, MFFS, and extrabiomes mainly. Not to mention the community seems like it may be worse then tekkit's at times. I am not sure at this point if it is even worth playing mods do to how stressful it has become.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
If it's overly stressful, you just shouldn't play it. There's really no use stressing yourself out over a game, man. Especially if you're not making money off of it or anything. That kinda defeats the purpose, for me.

I get how you feel, though. Removing certain mods would absolutely demolish my world and a good deal of the work I've put into it. If it happens, I have a couple of options. I look over what was removed, and I decide how it impacts me, and if I can work around it. Then I can either;

- Push on with the new mods, trying to make the best of it
- or just stop playing.

Either way, FTB gave me a lot of fun, and it's not the only game out there.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
If it's overly stressful, you just shouldn't play it. There's really no use stressing yourself out over a game, man. Especially if you're not making money off of it or anything. That kinda defeats the purpose, for me.
I get how you feel, though. Removing certain mods would absolutely demolish my world and a good deal of the work I've put into it. If it happens, I have a couple of options. I look over what was removed, and I decide how it impacts me, and if I can work around it. Then I can either;
- Push on with the new mods, trying to make the best of it
- or just stop playing.
Either way, FTB gave me a lot of fun, and it's not the only game out there.
I do have a lot of fun building stuff with my friends but I am always worried about what happens if redpower doesn't update and/or FTB updates without it. Or is MFFS gonna be included in future packs? and what version. Is the Extra biomes rewrite gonna break my world. I would be happy just staying in 1.4.7 if it weren't for all the new stuff modders are adding in 1.5. Like I really want to play around with the new modems and lan cables, but then I probably wouldn't touch computercraft without redpower,

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
That's one of the inherent threats of playing a modpack like this, unfortunately. Change happens, and it's often brutal and destructive. Worlds will be lost, and tears will be shed.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Well they work for free, in their spare time. and any time they spend working on mods is time they can't spend playing the game. So it's a case of getting what you pay for unfortunately. But yeah, if all this stresses you out, you might be better off just stepping back for awhile.

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, you've heard wrong. Or at least, not heard the complete story. Calclavia took over MFFS after the original author left the community. He did indeed make it closed source, at first. However, when he realized how upset everyone got, he changed his mind. Part of the drama was Searge saying he was going to make his own version, but open source. It got all sorted in the end, mostly just a large misunderstanding. And no, MFFS will not require UE, but it will support it.

As for the RP2, welcome to 8 months ago. This drama is an exact copy of the drama when Minecraft hit 1.3 and RP2 did not. Not exactly sure what FTB thought was going to happen when they prodded Elo into updating RP2 to 1.4.7 so they could include it in the packs, but they really ought to have seen this coming.

The problem a lot people have with waiting for RP2 is not the actual waiting itself, it is the indefinite nature of the waiting, and the possibility this time no amount of waiting will matter, it will forever remain in some limbo of not alive, but not actually dead because no one can get in touch with Elo to get any definite answer.

I wouldn't concern yourself, though. The people maintains the packs will make no rash actions, despite how much noise the community may make

Daxamar

Nov 21, 2012
I try not to get too involved in the BS that happens on MC packs. Theres was the stuff with Tekkit, now some stuff on here. Its all part of the wonderful world of minecraft to me.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Well they work for free, in their spare time. and any time they spend working on mods is time they can't spend playing the game. So it's a case of getting what you pay for unfortunately. But yeah, if all this stresses you out, you might be better off just stepping back for awhile.
You completely missed the point of what I am saying.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I do have a lot of fun building stuff with my friends but I am always worried about what happens if redpower doesn't update and/or FTB updates without it. Or is MFFS gonna be included in future packs? and what version. Is the Extra biomes rewrite gonna break my world. I would be happy just staying in 1.4.7 if it weren't for all the new stuff modders are adding in 1.5. Like I really want to play around with the new modems and lan cables, but then I probably wouldn't touch computercraft without redpower,
What extra biomes rewrite? As far as I can tell, having brought my RPG LP world from 1.4.7 to alpha status testing in 1.5.1, there is absolutely no change that breaks anything. Mind, I still am missing a mod or two, but EBL itself breaks nothing between 1.4.7 and 1.5.1.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I try not to get too involved in the BS that happens on MC packs. Theres was the stuff with Tekkit, now some stuff on here. Its all part of the wonderful world of minecraft to me.
the vanilla PC minecraft community seems like a bunch of (for the most part) creative, awesome, and smart people. The modded MC community is a lot different...[DOUBLEPOST=1365795032][/DOUBLEPOST]
What extra biomes rewrite? As far as I can tell, having brought my RPG LP world from 1.4.7 to alpha status testing in 1.5.1, there is absolutely no change that breaks anything. Mind, I still am missing a mod or two, but EBL itself breaks nothing between 1.4.7 and 1.5.1.
not for the 1.5 update however there is a rewrite happening, they just are updating the current version till it is ready.

Reactions: Iskandar

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Well, what ever it is about this game or community that stresses you out, the way to correct it is still the same.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Well, what ever it is about this game or community that stresses you out, the way to correct it is still the same.
I'm just gonna try to enjoy 1.4.7 direwolf20 pack for a little while longer and see what happens. I will probably also do some vanilla/mo creatures stuff for a little bit

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Mo' Creatures is a great mod. I've been using it with FTB and I think it's overshadowed by lots of the armors and weapons available in FTB. I've been contemplating playing a vanilla world with just playing that one and maybe a few others like inventory tweaks and stuff. Dr Zhark keeps adding more stuff to it too.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Mo' Creatures is a great mod. I've been using it with FTB and I think it's overshadowed by lots of the armors and weapons available in FTB. I've been contemplating playing a vanilla world with just playing that one and maybe a few others like inventory tweaks and stuff. Dr Zhark keeps adding more stuff to it too.
I tried installing it but I had a problem where no angry zombies from thaumcraft spawned does that happen to you?

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just not update to 1.5 until you are comfortable with it... the FTB Launcher won't force you to update so theres really no issue.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
no, I've got the opposite problem sometimes though. I had one big field where hundreds of them spawn every night, and nothing else. Literally nothing else. I played with the spawn rates in the global mod options and it got better. But I've only used Mo Creatures with Ultimate and Mindcrack packs so if you're using it with DW20 pack it might behave differently.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just not update to 1.5 until you are comfortable with it... the FTB Launcher won't force you to update so theres really no issue.
Yeah, I really doubt that eloraam would completely abandon her mod, and not tell anyone about it. Hopefully if she does someone else will take over. I will probably follow whatever direwolf does though because he is actually in contact with the modders and knows whats going on

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
the vanilla PC minecraft community seems like a bunch of (for the most part) creative, awesome, and smart people. The modded MC community is a lot different...[DOUBLEPOST=1365795032][/DOUBLEPOST]
not for the 1.5 update however there is a rewrite happening, they just are updating the current version till it is ready.
Do believe you are jumping at shadows with the EBL thing. There has been little info about EBL 4, and no indications it will break your world to update. You might end up with weird chunk transitions, but that is hardly world breaking.

Calm down a bit, anyway. Regardless of what changes are made, nothing is happening soon. It will be at least another month before the packs can even think of updating, and probably two. Until then, any speculation is pointless. Play the game, or don't, but stressing about it is silly.

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I really doubt that eloraam would completely abandon her mod, and not tell anyone about it. Hopefully if she does someone else will take over. I will probably follow whatever direwolf does though because he is actually in contact with the modders and knows whats going on
She will not abandon it I'm sure. What people really need to realize is how massive RP2 is, and that eloraam is only one person. On top of that she has a life outside of modding, so it is probably just going to take her a while to get the code re-written. 1.5 Broke even textures so she needs to do that as well. Really it will just take time but I'm positive RP2 will be updated eventually, and done so by Eloraam herself.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Do believe you are jumping at shadows with the EBL thing. There has been little info about EBL 4, and no indications it will break your world to update. You might end up with weird chunk transitions, but that is hardly world breaking.

Calm down a bit, anyway. Regardless of what changes are made, nothing is happening soon. It will be at least another month before the packs can even think of updating, and probably two. Until then, any speculation is pointless. Play the game, or don't, but stressing about it is silly.
Misterfiber told me directly before that it will most likely break my world. From my understanding it will be a world option, so I will have to set it in NBTedit most likely, if the biome IDs are the same then It might not break it.