[Mod Idea] MoneyMod - working minecraft currency -

RumpleStiltSkill

Jul 29, 2019
MoneyMod

Short Intro:

MoneyMod adds a money item to minecraft, which can be made only in the MoneyMod blocks.
The item uses damage value to store money, acting like a wallet as well as currency.
Various blocks provide a source of money (the bank, trading post and warehouse) and functions to spend money on.

Blocks:

Bank: The main component of MoneyMod, provides buy/sell function as well as paid storage.

-Buy mode:

In buy mode, the gui has a left item slot for money, and once money is input, will display items that can be bought.
It will do this in a large chest-like inventory that holds all the blocks that can be bought with the current cash.
All items except those created through a process (smelting, macerating, etc) or crafting can be bought.
There is a baseline price for all items determined by their relative rarity per chunk.
Every time you buy an item it increases it's price by an x margin.
This makes relying on the bank as your sole source of items unwise in the long run.

-Sell mode:

In sell mode, the gui is the same as in buy mode, except the process works the other way around.
Items can be put into the inventory, and will then be converted into money over time.
Like buying, selling items takes longer depending on item value.
Also similar to buying, selling an item decreases it's price by an x margin.
This makes relying on the sale of many of the same item to generate money unwise.

-Bank mode:

Bank mode shares it's gui with the buy/sell modes, except it has buttons to browse storage pages at the top.
Money can be put into the left slot, and this will work like a furnace, with a corresponding bar under the money slot.
While the money is slowly being drained, you have access to an unlimited amount of storage.
However, you pay more overtime the more items you have in storage, this is counted per item, and not per stack.

Trading post:

Has a large inventory in the center, and a smaller 9x9 inventory to the left, and a 9x9 crafting grid with product slot beneath it.
The trading post allows the player to put items into the left inventory, and the item worth is translated into monetary value.
Items buyable with the payment items will be displayed in the center inventory, this holds the same restrictions as the bank.
The advantage of the trading post is that items will always have the same base worth, and so inflation on item worth is non-existant.
But, the trading post only has so much stock (from 1 - 10 stacks per item), and once depleted it takes a very long time to resupply.
Trading items in will increase the stock however, trading items will also take time depending on item worth and amount traded.

Items:

Money:

An item comparable to IC2 RE-batteries, they store an amount of money (to be decided upon) and can be stacked if empty or completely full.
Useable in the Bank to buy items, and later on for all of MoneyMod's functions.

The entire item config is of course adjustable so mod items can be added (don't know if this can be automated).
Item value, item time to buy/sell for base value, amount value increases/decreases at buy/sell, is all adjustable.

EDIT: Condensed everything majorly to make the idea clearer and to provide a picture of how the balancing might play out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deathlord73

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
So, not to sound like a debbie downer here, but I can see some.. unsavoury server owners selling in game currency.

While the idea is interesting, but there are a few features here that can be abused.

RumpleStiltSkill

Jul 29, 2019
To immibis, that was the beauty of EE2, and it was perfectly balanceable, it's just the task of a monk, with a monk's patience, and monk's don't play minecraft I think.

The money you have to pay for your bank account is pretty real, this is just a simplified system for make benefit glorious minecraft game.

To Cptqrk, I haven't thought of that yet, but that's certainly a possibility, I wouldn't call it bad, if people wanted to pay for ingame currency, why not let them?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I think, that the new rules Mojang put out specifically about charging for perks would be the issue.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/new-server-monetisation-guidelines-by-mojang.46816/
I was just thinking that the most effective way to make in game currency viable would be to block access to resources or crafting recipes. Things which can be unpopular in a survival server setting and potentially exploitative in the worst scenario.

I mean in a game where there's unlimited ability to grow, mine, or craft anything time is the only variable. Trading usually seems more effective than creating a currency. At least in a pure survival mode setting. Currency works in role play or custom map gaming settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasa

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft has never really needed nor used a proper currency system, rare resources are used as a substitute, such as Diamonds or Gold Ingots.
I myself find a currency system defeating the game's purpose, and overall not necessary at all.

I have no objection though, go ahead if you wish.
Along with others responses, trading is a much more appreciated and well-fitting system, money just seems pointless.

Reactions: Padfoote

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
RealSketch, RedBoss, the idea itself was thought up with only my perspective in mind, so it is a bit of a personal affair. And I can understand many wouldn't see a need for it.
As it is right now, I'm trying to learn coding so I can make it a reality, I might release it if I ever finish it.
Like I said, go ahead with it f you wish! I'm sure you'll do great! :)

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
imo, the barter system has it's place in early game. once a server is sufficiently developed, if the community deems it so, a currency is actually pretty nice to have. also the remote transfer of currency is handy as well. things like chestshop wouldn't be possible without a currency.

it also opens up a whole lot more angles of gameplay, on top of making things a lot easier. i mean... i'd charge probably a few inventories full of diamonds for an assassination. or you can /pay me (price) and be done with it.

the trick with a currency is creating a money sink (usually towny towns, or something) that is substantial enough to ward off inflation, but not so bad as to make your players unable to participate in the economy.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
RealSketch, RedBoss, the idea itself was thought up with only my perspective in mind, so it is a bit of a personal affair. And I can understand many wouldn't see a need for it.
As it is right now, I'm trying to learn coding so I can make it a reality, I might release it if I ever finish it.
I'd never attempt to dissuade you from learning something new. If you're that invested, then that will make learning all the easier. Go forth, code on! I wish you luck. I'm a former financial planner and have far too many business theory conversations with people. It tends to leak when I'm just having fun with games. No offense intended.

Reactions: RealSketch

RumpleStiltSkill

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the nice words :)

I've found out so far that what I want to do (custom GUI's, custom blocks and functions, custom item), it's more than I can learn in a reasonable time.
So it's either find some help or this mod might never see the light of day :/

Reactions: RealSketch

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I am not saying this is bad and I mean this to no offense of you but this mod is very unbalanced, say I have some DartCraft time torches and a bank, well I am infinitely rich, then I make more banks and add money to each bank and buy more time torches, the server economy will be destroyed in days. Also with unlimited currency makes all the items you give easily exploitable.

RumpleStiltSkill

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really see how any part of what I've described is exploitable by manipulating the passage of time.
Money can only be generated by inputting items, with item value decreasing as more of a particular item is sold (eliminating infinite item generation providing unfair amounts of profit).
What's more is that item value is increased by buying items slower than it is decreased by selling them, so these values can't be restored to normal without a large expense.

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how this would work in survival, but I think this would fit in quite well in a Minecraft MMORPG with the right tweaks and modifications.

Reactions: RedBoss