Mobs not spawning (despawning?) despite chunk loader [FTB Monster 1.6.4]

Beeminer

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, as the says I'm having trouble with mob spawning or rather mob grinders.

I'm running FTB Monster (v 1.1.1) on a small dedicated server. What I'm trying to do is spawn mobs and then grind them into mob essence with MFR Grinder, the trouble is that I can not get them to spawn when I'm away from my base or when I'm not online, I am 99 % certain that I have done this before.

I've tried the MFR autospawner, which simply drains all mob essence it has access to without spawning any mobs, I've tried Extra utilities cursed earth which simply doesn't yield any result if we are away from the base/offline. I've tried different chunk loaders (chickenchunks, world anchor) as well as different mobs in the autospawner and I've tried it in a different dimension (Twilight Forest). I've yet to try it in a Mystcraft world as I''ve not gotten the pages I need yet and I don't want to cheat them in (although I will tomorrow if nothing else works).

Could there be a config setting that prevents this? Is my memory off and this isn't possible? Am I doing something wrong?

All suggestions are welcome.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The less obvious and more important question is what dimensions are you actually testing this on? Overworld? Forget it. Anyone can be on the Overworld at any time, and one can't stop that. Nether? Same deal. The End? Depends on if you found it first and warded the way in so only you and those you allow in can enter. Other Mods? Tough Sell, because unless it's Mystcraft, it's all but impossible to keep people out.

That said, you don't NEED any pages for MystCraft to write an age, since one can make random ages. ...One can still do that, right?

I mean, those are pretty much your main source of new pages...

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
From the minecraft wiki:
All mobs except slimes will stop wandering within 5 seconds if there is no player within a 32 block radius. In this state, they will glance around randomly, but they won't walk anywhere. They can still be moved by other means such as flowing water, minecarts, etc.
A mob that has had no player within 32 blocks of it for more than 30 seconds has a 1 in 800 chance of despawning on each game tick (1/20th of a second).
A mob will immediately despawn if there is no player within 128 blocks of it. [...]
In multiplayer, despawning does not occur while there are no players in the game.
Afaik it should work as long as there's no player in the same dimension.

Beeminer

Jul 29, 2019
I finally got it to work in a mystcraft world, at least the cursed earth, haven't tried MFR spawner yet.
From the minecraft wiki:

Afaik it should work as long as there's no player in the same dimension.
Exactly, thats why I was wondering why it didn't, anyway as I said it's solved, thank you to everyone that offered their help. :)