Mob trap modifications. What will you use?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone. I've been thinking about redpower and just how wonderful it would be for simpler things, such as mob traps. Redstone wiring and circuits cutting down on space and wiring head aches.... "But then I thought what other tools could I use?" remembering the use of thaumcraft 2's symbols.

So what things can you scramble together to make an advanced mob farm?

One idea that came to mind would be to attempt to use frames and pistons together to make mob pushers in an ender farm to save on pistons.

Or using UU for water in the nether to make old mob farm designs, and possibly even try my hand at automating a whither skeleton farm. Or even using the old fall disk idea, but having a turret luring enemies into the middle in order to obtain gold.

Now it's your turn, what would you do to make a mob farm work?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla piston drop trap with the landing being made of obsidian pipes?

Wall MFFS with the mob killer upgrade? EDIT: won't work :D

Areal faith plates as a landing aiming towards a central drop? (extra points for hilarity)

Railcraft trains for loading mobs into carts + riding them trough a one high tunnel?

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
i was in dire need of enderpearls (even more so, when rp2 is finally added). Twilight forest hollow hills are littered with spawners...so after finding an enderman spawner, portal gunned it back to my base using mystcraft portals. Set up a room with a quicksand false ceiling (3 blocks off the ground) and set the spawner down on a floor of obsidian pipes. Enderman happily suffocated away, and the dropped enderpearls were whisked away to a connected chest.

same trick can be used for most other mobs.

DoctorCube

Jul 29, 2019
i was in dire need of enderpearls (even more so, when rp2 is finally added). Twilight forest hollow hills are littered with spawners...so after finding an enderman spawner, portal gunned it back to my base using mystcraft portals. Set up a room with a quicksand false ceiling (3 blocks off the ground) and set the spawner down on a floor of obsidian pipes. Enderman happily suffocated away, and the dropped enderpearls were whisked away to a connected chest.

I think you can make this repeatable with a piston ceiling.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Nice nice, I see allot of neat idea's I didn't even know about the endermen spawners in twilight forest... But I'd rather save that for endergrinder. and nice! a monkey farm fan~ I love the idea of offswitches and those mod's really help them out.

as for the idea of adding in joke steps... springing mobs via portal contraptions is just a grand time. XD

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
With the Soul Shards mod, you can easily make just about any kind of spawner you want, given enough kills and/or spawners. Best of all, you can turn them off with a redstone signal.

I'm a big fan of the mobavator design, because it also doubles as an xp farm.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I've been pondering using a large intralinking mystcraft portal under a spawner (or multiple, or soulshards spawner) to emulate the "mobavator" drop traps... without the mobavator. I'm thinking it should be faster, have less jams, and should take up a bit less space.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I'm stupid I was thinking a falling sand trap. Quicksand trap, very clever.

yeah...i thought that's what you thought i meant.

The quicksand ceiling is pretty neat. I have multiple 7x7 rooms with spawners at the centre, and a network of obsidian pipes across the floor. It'll be even better when i can use transposers instead. If i had TC3, i could stick a jar with a brain by the spawners to collect the xp too, but that will have to wait.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019

Since I'm using the Magic World pack, I don't have access to the awesome power of the Portal Gun, but I figure I can use a Soul Shard to get myself an enderman spawner by absorbing some from Twilight Forest (which I haven't actually visited yet) and then make the same setup as you. And since I have TC3, I could put hungry chests on the floor, or use golems to pick up the pearls, plus a brain in a jar for the xp (neither of which I've researched either, nor have I actually collected quicksand yet, but I can easily write an appropriate mystcraft age for that...)

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
Since I'm using the Magic World pack, I don't have access to the awesome power of the Portal Gun, but I figure I can use a Soul Shard to get myself an enderman spawner by absorbing some from Twilight Forest (which I haven't actually visited yet) and then make the same setup as you. And since I have TC3, I could put hungry chests on the floor, or use golems to pick up the pearls, plus a brain in a jar for the xp (neither of which I've researched either, nor have I actually collected quicksand yet, but I can easily write an appropriate mystcraft age for that...)

looking forward to sould shards. you could easily construct a closed room with quicksand ceiling around the spawer (protecting you from other mobs) in the hollowed hill location, without having to take it back to your base. you would only have to whack the suffocating endermen a couple of times before they died. 1000 kills for a tier 5 spawner....let me know how long that takes :)

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
looking forward to sould shards. you could easily construct a closed room with quicksand ceiling around the spawer (protecting you from other mobs) in the hollowed hill location, without having to take it back to your base. you would only have to whack the suffocating endermen a couple of times before they died. 1000 kills for a tier 5 spawner....let me know how long that takes :)
No, you just kill one enderman with the soul shard on your hotbar to set it's type, then you right click with it on a spawner to go up an entire tier. Repeat on 4 more enderman spawners and you're at tier 5.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
No, you just kill one enderman with the soul shard on your hotbar to set it's type, then you right click with it on a spawner to go up an entire tier. Repeat on 4 more enderman spawners and you're at tier 5.

ah..i know that you can kill 200 of that mob to move up each tier, but did not know a spawner was worth a tier upgrade too.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
ah..i know that you can kill 200 of that mob to move up each tier, but did not know a spawner was worth a tier upgrade too.
Sorry, I wasn't clear when I wrote "by absorbing some from Twilight Forest". I meant "absorbing some spawners".