Mob grinder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys!
I've built a mob grinder in a void age for maximum efficiency, it's working perfectly (around 50 mobs per cycle) but I have a really big problem right now: I can't kill them. My void age is in eternal dusk, so solar panels won't work that well to keep an MFSU/MFE loaded to power tesla coils, I haven't got enough resources to build a second nuclear reactor and I definitely don't have the resources to craft the Interdimensional Storage Unit from Gregtech.
So, here's my question: are there any blocks/devices/contraptions that can kill mobs that does not rely on IC2 energy?

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Well... how about wind or water?

And you should be able to suffocate them with quicksand. Since they seem to be able to spawn on quicksand they will instantly sink into it starting to suffocate and you can easily transport the items away with water-flow. Eloraam did this in her castle, but might be only possible with a mob-spawner.

But if it is a 2 block tall room you could still suffocate them with pistons, but without redpower this is also a bit tricky. So I would suggest using windpower or build a charged void-age for a lightning-rod.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
You could always transfer EU using an MFSU cart from RailCraft and two mystcraft portals from and to your overworld where you normally generate your EU

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
How about a drop tower? Just have the mobs washed off the edge of a platform by water, and fall onto a second platform much farther down. Splat goes the mob.

Obsidian pipes (and later, transposers) can handle retrieving the items.

Reactions: Mero

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
Well... Bees from Forestry with Nocturnal and Aggressive or a Melee Turtle from ComputerCraft.

Or use one of the already established vanilla methods.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Ever hear of lava blades? Drop floor? drowning? Don't even need any mods for those, they all work in plain vanilla minecraft.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty familiar with the vanilla ways, I was just looking for something neat and different from what I've built in the last 2 years ;)

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the properly damaging stuff is still waiting (thaumcraft and EE, red power for automation). It depends on how creative you want to get. You could develop a powergen system with forestry farms / fuel and bio generators. Or nether-pumped geothermals. Or a nuke. Factorisation and TE (the other two major mods) don't have a huge damaging blocks, as far as I now.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
It is pretty easy to transfer EU between dimensions if you are dead set on using IC2. Set up a couple of Ender Chests and just transfer lapoptron crystals back and forth. Or lava buckets from the nether, with geothermal generators on site. Or the railcraft solution mentioned above. Or shooting lapoptron crystals through a mystcraft portal to be caught with an obsidian pipe on the other side. Or...

You get the point, I hope. The beauty of minecraft is in its flexibility. 300 ways to engineer a solution, so get creative!

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used the Magma Crucible from Thermal Expansion, but maybe it could be made to produce enough lava to power IC2 Geothermal Generators.