MJ to EU

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

aretz

Jul 29, 2019
It must be possible, I just cant remember how.

I been searching through all the engines and different items, i just cant figure it out.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
FTB doesn't include any Power Converters/Universal Electricity type mod, so this isn't something quite so straightforward to do in this pack without loading something like those mods. There are roundabout ways to accomplish this, of course (lava cycling and biofuel in biogens being two of those), but I don't believe there's anything that allows for the direct conversion you're looking for.

(On the other hand, EU-to-MJ is made possible by the Forestry Electrical Engine. Go figure.)

aretz

Jul 29, 2019
ya, i was looking at the electrical engine, and thinking there must be something simple like that to convert MJ-EU, but after some more testing looks like im gonna have to setup a facility to produce bio-fuel and setup lots of other fun machines to go with it.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, if you're coming from one of the other modpacks out there you may expect there to be one of the "conversion mods" installed that just isn't. That's a compilation choice slowpoke made when putting FTB together, as from what I recall he didn't see one he thought was appropriately balanced.

I'd probably steer clear of biofuel if you're looking for large production, by the way. If you want a way to turn some MJs into fruitful materials for EU production, your best bet (in my opinion, and having also tried the Biogen solution) is to power up a Magma Crucible (or several) and run some Netherrack through that into a bank of Geothermals. But that's just my own proposal for cheap EUs. =)

aretz

Jul 29, 2019
alright awesome i will set that up then instead of going with the biofuel, i was never a big fan of that anyways.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
There's currently three direct ways to transform MJ into EU.

The first is Forestry's Biogenerator, which sadly is grossly inefficient (200,000 MJ becomes 32,000 EU).

The second is Thermal Expansion's Magma Crucible, which (like many things in TE) is on the other end of the spectrum, borderline too good. Using cobblestone from an attached Igneous Extruder, it will convert MJ to EU on a 1:1 basis (20,000 MJ to melt down a piece of cobble, yielding 20,000 EU in a Geothermal Generator). Using Netherrack, you get an incredible 5:1 ratio by reducing the melting cost to 4,000 MJ.

The third is Railcraft's steam turbine. On the downside, it requires a huge upfront investment in steel, and will keep consuming more steel in regular intervals to replace the rotor, but on the upside you get to use Railcraft's overpowered steam boilers to drive it. At the end of the day the advantages and disadvantages cancel each other out and you will convert a pretty balanced 32 MJ/t into 50 EU/t using any solid or liquid fuel you want. One rotor costs 99 steel and is good for roughly 145 to 150 million EU (exact value unknown).

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Nice thread necro.

Blutricity engine absolutely does not convert MJ to EUs. It converts Blutricity to MJ.

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
I just finished the gravisuit thingy.... and without the proper solar painel helmet i'm comming back to my NFSU regulary to pick up around 5 Mil EU's.... I too was interested in a sustainable way to convert all my BioFuel production, wich is now around 1 million units in a Railcraft tank, to EU's...

Personaly i will use the boilers to that extra EU that my Nuclear reactor cant deliver.

My question is if its the same using Biomass or Biofuel in a boiler... or how it works for that matter.
I'm still in the process of transfrming more steel, so i'm reading first how this works then i'll plan how i'll build all the stuff needed.
Mindcrack pack is hard resource wise if you start building something and don't have enough materials to acomplish.

Cumpz
Uni

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
From what I read, the best way to convert your fuels into EU is boiler > MJ > Lava > EU, especially if you use Nether rack for the lava creation part.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Now this depends on which mod he's using, the RC steam boiler > turbine in a later pack gives 100 EU/t and the rotor lasts a LOT longer.

Also the Netherrack > lava conversion was nerfed to 8000MJ cost from 4000MJ so it's hardly worth doing now.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
It is better to use steam turbine than magma crucible. In steam turbine you get 1 Eu/ 3,2 steam and 1 MJ is equal to 5 steam. However you can increase efficiency of lava to 30 000 Eu/bucket in IC2 using dispensers/deployers and pumps or GT thermal generators

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Also the Netherrack > lava conversion was nerfed to 8000MJ cost from 4000MJ so it's hardly worth doing now.

Even more so in the v8 Mindcrack mod pack, where netherrack costs 12000 MJ to melt. Cobblestone/stone/obsidian costs also went up from 20000 to 24000.

I have a setup that includes magma crucibles/geothermal generators, bio generators running on biofuel, and a steam turbine. The steam turbine seems to be the best option out of those three, but the initial steel investment to get it going is pretty crazy. Magma crucibles and geothermal generators aren't too bad, and bio generators are the least preferable of the three.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
One thing people tend to overlook are the Gregtech geothermals, they are better than the IC2 ones and not that hard to make (called thermal generators).

kamin

Jul 29, 2019
how about using pneumaticcraft, and using kinetic compressor and a pneumatic generator

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
As always, people overlook one of the most powerful mods. Engineer's Toolbox (which is part of FTB Monster) has an RF/MJ adapter and an RF/EU adapter. Craft the adapters, connect them with a redstone energy conduit and you'll have MJ come in on one side, EU out on the other, or vice versa. The adapters convert in both directions.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
As always, people overlook one of the most powerful mods. Engineer's Toolbox (which is part of FTB Monster) has an RF/MJ adapter and an RF/EU adapter. Craft the adapters, connect them with a redstone energy conduit and you'll have MJ come in on one side, EU out on the other, or vice versa. The adapters convert in both directions.

Thats because engineers toolbox is a polarizing mod: Those who love it, love it. And those that don't like it, really really dont ever want to like it. To me it seems the antithesis of what minecraft mods should be: building stuff, with blocks.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thats because engineers toolbox is a polarizing mod: Those who love it, love it. And those that don't like it, really really dont ever want to like it. To me it seems the antithesis of what minecraft mods should be: building stuff, with blocks.
I'm not sure I understand. The main component of ET is a highly configurable block you can use in countless different technical builds. If I use ET, I'm building stuff with blocks all the time. In fact, someone else said he didn't like that everything is a block in ET, that there are no wires, cables and suchlike.