Minefactory Reloaded and Soul Shards

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
For a little while I was wondering what would happen if you mixed these two and have now come to the answer of it being really bloody strong when done right. You see, I was wondering if mobs spawned from the auto-spawner would count towards shard kills and they do! This may not seem like much, but mobs spawned through a soul shard give monster essence when killed through the grinder. What this means is with even a lvl 1 shard you can make every kind of monster shard as long as you've put one of that type into a safari net. This means if you have a skeleton shard and want to increase it to level 5 without going to Twilight Forest you can do so by setting up the lvl 1 shard and a grinder to store monster essence and then when you have enough take out the shard and start killing skeletons spawned by the auto-spawner. This method also applies to any other monster in that you could have a lvl 5 soul shard feeding a auto-spawner that spawns, say, witches.

Basically, these two mods can work very well together and save people a lot of time when building their soul shard farms. that and if they just want to have a shard of each mob type~

Reactions: MouseyPounds

MushroomDynamo

Jul 29, 2019
MFR is absolutely fantastic. Here's what I'm currently doing with it in my own installation:

I have an IC2 recycler hooked up to an Igneous Extruder and a Fabricator. 1 IC2 fertilizer + 2 scrap = 2 IC2 fertilizer, and the MFR Fertilizer is cool enough to use IC2 fertilizer in place of bonemeal. You can probably see where this is going, and although I haven't quite figured out how to get an item transportation system to leave only one fertilizer in the Fabricator, the silly amount of wheat I'm getting is very nice.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
For a little while I was wondering what would happen if you mixed these two and have now come to the answer of it being really bloody strong when done right. You see, I was wondering if mobs spawned from the auto-spawner would count towards shard kills and they do! This may not seem like much, but mobs spawned through a soul shard give monster essence when killed through the grinder. What this means is with even a lvl 1 shard you can make every kind of monster shard as long as you've put one of that type into a safari net. This means if you have a skeleton shard and want to increase it to level 5 without going to Twilight Forest you can do so by setting up the lvl 1 shard and a grinder to store monster essence and then when you have enough take out the shard and start killing skeletons spawned by the auto-spawner. This method also applies to any other monster in that you could have a lvl 5 soul shard feeding a auto-spawner that spawns, say, witches.

Basically, these two mods can work very well together and save people a lot of time when building their soul shard farms. that and if they just want to have a shard of each mob type~
wow... that I did not know.
What i do know however, is that MFR gives a tonne of options for making mob farms much more powerful. it allows you to get rid of the water in some mob traps for instance. (no more water lag. yaay)
There is also a mob sorter (chronotyper) that is really useful.. I think I've said enough.. it's youtube contraption time for me.
I've already made a souped up endrman grinder for XP farming. It's uploading as we speak for the curious.

EDIT: Ahh.. why not exploit a brilliant occasion for self promotion. ;)
here's the vid i was uploading:

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I plan on making a grinding system that mixes AE for item storage and just using a grinder to kill them mobs. The pretty darn cool thing about the liquid monster essence is it can be used in the auto-enchanter to enchant stuff, making it also act like liquid exp that you can store in tanks. It does seem to take a bit more of this than an equivalent amount of exp to enchant something at lvl 30, but you can quite easily get a lot more of it using multiple spawners. That said I do like that endermen trap you made.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I plan on making a grinding system that mixes AE for item storage and just using a grinder to kill them mobs. The pretty darn cool thing about the liquid monster essence is it can be used in the auto-enchanter to enchant stuff, making it also act like liquid exp that you can store in tanks. It does seem to take a bit more of this than an equivalent amount of exp to enchant something at lvl 30, but you can quite easily get a lot more of it using multiple spawners. That said I do like that endermen trap you made.

I havent gotten into AE yet. can it really store liquids as well? wow. I guess i have to reserve some time for experimenting with that too then... man. ultimate has so many mods i havent tried before that my head is close to exploding with all the new content i can use to make better contraptions.

All my contraption vids are a kind of showcase. showing off things you can do with certain mods in combination. that is why i made one side of the grinder transparent. (thank you thaumcraft warded glass) it's not about optimal design really. it's about making it easy to see how to make workable desings without going as far as it being a true tutorial.

I'ma take your suggestion tho, and try to improve this by adding in the option to using a grinder to kill and extract monster essense for autoenchanting. maybe even combine multiple types of spawners. skellies for bones, and creepers for gunpowder. then have a fourth type to round it off... hmm.. blazes might be a candidate? have to figure out how to move them without killing them. stupid flying mobs. or maybe even wither skellies. :cool:

Gosh. i sense a lag monster being born right here and now. :eek:

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I probably worded it in a way you didn't understand properly - AE will handle the item drops from the grinders while liquid tesseracts and liquiducts would handle the monster essence. Since you can mix the AE network with tesseracts using the buses you can have all the items from the grinders get ported through item tesseracts and get put into the AE network from wherever you want to have the grinders. At the same time, you can use liquid tesseracts to port all of the monster essence produced by the grinders into a tank for storage, into an auto-enchanter, or even an auto-spawner to make different kinds of Soul Shard spawners.

Basically, have AE mix with item tesseracts to handle items, while you have liquid tesseracts and tanks from xycraft or railcraft deal with your liquids. For energy you can also plop an energy tesseract right next to the grinders, though you do lose 25% of the energy in doing so.

Edit: Also, the grinders kill mobs in a 5x5 area in front of them and they kill instantly.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I probably worded it in a way you didn't understand properly - AE will handle the item drops from the grinders while liquid tesseracts and liquiducts would handle the monster essence. Since you can mix the AE network with tesseracts using the buses you can have all the items from the grinders get ported through item tesseracts and get put into the AE network from wherever you want to have the grinders. At the same time, you can use liquid tesseracts to port all of the monster essence produced by the grinders into a tank for storage, into an auto-enchanter, or even an auto-spawner to make different kinds of Soul Shard spawners.

Basically, have AE mix with item tesseracts to handle items, while you have liquid tesseracts and tanks from xycraft or railcraft deal with your liquids. For energy you can also plop an energy tesseract right next to the grinders, though you do lose 25% of the energy in doing so.

Edit: Also, the grinders kill mobs in a 5x5 area in front of them and they kill instantly.

Ah. I get it. no liquid handling in AE. it's a mod i haven't even begun to touch yet, so don't expect to see AE in any of my contraptions anytime soon. I prefer RP2 for item handling myself, altho i do understand the lure of a logistics network like what AE seems to offer. (speaking as one who has just barely tried to read trough the wiki of said mod. so don't quote me on anything AE related) :oops:

I also never use tesseracts in my contraptions. adding them is a trivial excersize, but for a demo purpose they aren't needed. it's actually better to have everything easily visible in a single location for my purposes. I'm in love with MFR now tho. expect to see a lot of that mod from now on. :cool:

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Well since you can combine a tier 5 anything shard with a tier 0 "I want this mob" shard in an anvil and get a tier 5 "wanted this mob" shard immediately I think soul shards is kinda broken atm.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Well since you can combine a tier 5 anything shard with a tier 0 "I want this mob" shard in an anvil and get a tier 5 "wanted this mob" shard immediately I think soul shards is kinda broken atm.

Yeah, but combining MFR and soul shards is kinda a more genuine way of doing it, while still taking the easier route

Killing them all by hand, getting the cages from hollow hills, Combining MFR and soul shards, anvil
That's kinda the spectrum i'd put ranging from how the mod is intended, right down to not intended that way at all

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't for all mobs though. Sadly when you capture a wither skeleton in a safari net, it is considered a regular skeleton, so when you place it in the auto-spawner, you just get white skeletons. I was very disappointed.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't for all mobs though. Sadly when you capture a wither skeleton in a safari net, it is considered a regular skeleton, so when you place it in the auto-spawner, you just get white skeletons. I was very disappointed.
If you spawn the skeletons in the Nether, it should work.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Wither skeletons are a really weird special case (they are just normal skeletons with one field changed instead of their own class); there's still an open bug on my tracker to figure out wtf to do about those things so I'm aware of the issues. I've just been busy on the logic stuff instead.
We know you'll do it alright!

Reactions: southernfriedbb