Minecraft on Windows 8.1?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
How do I get Minecraft working on 8.1? I've got the required Java installs for both x64 and x86.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
First off, remove the 32-bitversion of Java. Java runs that version by default and if it is installed the 64 won't update correctly, if you allow auto-update.

Most FtB packs almost require 64 bit anyway, to allocate enough ram for the client.

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
It's running, but the menu button clicks are taking like 3 seconds to respond. Takes like 3 seconds to press E to bring up inventory. I've got a i7 and 16GB of RAM and 64-bit Java installed only. I do have a Nvidia GTX 780. Everything I've read said this is a Windows 8.1 thing, but I can't find any fix.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Also, don't allocate more than about 3.5 GB of ram to Java in the FtB client. Beyond that point Java starts drooling on itself and cannot manage memory correctly.

Reactions: AlCapella

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it turns out that Minecraft 1.8 runs just fine, but if I use 1.6.4 I get that slow loading menu and inventory thing going on.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It's running, but the menu button clicks are taking like 3 seconds to respond. Takes like 3 seconds to press E to bring up inventory. I've got a i7 and 16GB of RAM and 62-bit Java installed only. I do have a Nvidia GTX 780. Everything I've read said this is a Windows 8.1 thing, but I can't find any fix.
I'm teasing here, but....62-bit Java sounds a bit sketchy.
Like this time my wife bought me the box set of all seasons of 24 from a somewhat sketchy website. And it looked really legit until you noticed there were typos everywhere on the box.

Most of the discs did work just fine tho :p

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm teasing here, but....62-bit Java sounds a bit sketchy.
Like this time my wife bought me the box set of all seasons of 24 from a somewhat sketchy website. And it looked really legit until you noticed there were typos everywhere on the box.

Most of the discs did work just fine tho :p
Was the title actually 25, but you auto-corrected?

Reactions: AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Was the title actually 25, but you auto-corrected?

If you had corrected it, it will activate sleeper cells, sewage drains and something else! World-wide catastrophe would ensure... Our hero @Pyure has foiled all that by leaving it as it is... hoo hoo...[DOUBLEPOST=1410533467][/DOUBLEPOST]And because I have some free time, here's a meme to go with the undercurrent!
PDFWo6T.jpg

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Same java as me, also nvidia drivers here so I'm out of ideas.... Only tip I've got left is uninstall completely and reinstall java, if that doesn't work update gfx drivers if u haven't, if that doesn't work reinstall MC

Plse plse make backups before trying anything

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using the latest version before Java 8. Could these Windows 8 Nvidia drivers be the issue?
Somehow, I doubt it. My laptop can run even a heavily modded 1.6.4 install with no slowdowns unless I run it in low power mode, which due to my current state of affairs, is a thing I do 100% of the time now.
Then it's mostly just world generation lag AFAIK.

...Then again, this same laptop can play all kinds of somewhat recent AAA games on the best graphical settings I can pick with no issues when I have my actual charger, so maybe my laptop is just better then your desktop. Wouldn't doubt it, honestly.

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
Well, like I said if I switch to Minecraft 1.8 from loader it runs just fine. Once I put it on 1.6.4 it seems like it runs fine, but any menu action takes forever. I press E and it stales for like 5 seconds before loading up. It doesn't do that in version 1.8 though. I've reinstalled GFX drivers, Java multiple times, Minecraft multiple times.

There shouldn't be any lag at all. I even have Minecraft and Java installed on a Samsung Pro SDD.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
When you re-install Java are you completely removing all traces of all previous versions first? Any vestiges of prior versions can throw monkey wrenches into a "new" install.

Also, as I think has been said above, your best bet is to stick with the latest Java 7... I'm running Java 8_11 myself with no issues but have heard of a lot of quirks with 8_20. As they say, "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV)

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
Surely it's not the Java installation if I can select 1.8 from the launcher and it performs just fine in the menus.