Problem Minecraft Lag Singleplayer (not fps lag) StoneBlock

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

doxiMAN_MAN

Jul 4, 2016
A couple of days ago I started using a harvester instead of my farming stations, and since then I've been lagging tremendously and I have a very good computer so I don't know why this is happening.
GTX 1080Ti
Ryzen Threadripper OC @ 4Ghz
32GB RAM 2400Mhz (15 of them deticated to minecraft)
SSD 960 EVO (500 GB free)
It's not FPS lag (tho I have dropped from steady 150-300 to 100-200 fps), it's the kind of lag u usually see on servers (for example whenever I throw an item on the ground, it's super slow and it teleports back, kinda like moon gravity) I don't have that big of a problem with it but it makes my ME auto-crafting super slow (compared to before).
StoneBlock 1.0.28

CAME TO A SOLUTION.

Thanks,
doximanman

Last edited:

doxiMAN_MAN

Jul 4, 2016
Take it easy with the Watch of Flowing Time, man. It's a hell of a drug, and plays hell with TPS lag.
WIll I have to slow it down or is there a way around it or another item that can just speed up crops like that but without changing the tps? Because my crops are really slow without it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
WIll I have to slow it down or is there a way around it or another item that can just speed up crops like that but without changing the tps? Because my crops are really slow without it.
You cannot have your cake and eat it too. The watch(and similar objects) does not only make items work faster. They cause them to require more processing time. Once the processing time of the entire world exceeds 50ms, the game cannot keep up with 20 ticks per second(this is where TPS comes from).
Choose better/more moderate solutions if you want to avoid this.

doxiMAN_MAN

Jul 4, 2016
WIll I have to slow it down or is there a way around it? Because my crops are really slow without it.
You cannot have your cake and eat it too. The watch(and similar objects) does not only make items work faster. They cause them to require more processing time. Once the processing time of the entire world exceeds 50ms, the game cannot keep up with 20 ticks per second(this is where TPS comes from).
Choose better/more moderate solutions if you want to avoid this.
What are those solutions? I'm end-game so I can setup pretty much everything.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
What are those solutions? I'm end-game so I can setup pretty much everything.
Either get a better processor for your computer, or let it run in the background for a few hours while you do something else. Or just do All The Chickens. Not one roost of chickens, but rooms (plural) of chickens. Like a 9x9 room where every single wall was top to bottom emerald chickens feeding into a single gatherer that is connected to the converter that turns it all into RM Blocks.

Unfortunately, Averita is just pants-on-head levels of resource grind for the sake of resource grind. That's all there is to it.

doxiMAN_MAN

Jul 4, 2016
Either get a better processor for your computer, or let it run in the background for a few hours while you do something else. Or just do All The Chickens. Not one roost of chickens, but rooms (plural) of chickens. Like a 9x9 room where every single wall was top to bottom emerald chickens feeding into a single gatherer that is connected to the converter that turns it all into RM Blocks.

Unfortunately, Averita is just pants-on-head levels of resource grind for the sake of resource grind. That's all there is to it.
aight, thanks : )
Also, I don't think it's my processor, I've got 16 cores (32 threads) with 4Ghz each... It's probably minecraft's ability to support multicore cpus... feelsbad

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
A couple of days ago I started using a harvester instead of my farming stations, and since then I've been lagging tremendously and I have a very good computer so I don't know why this is happening.
GTX 1080Ti
Ryzen Threadripper OC @ 4Ghz
32GB RAM 2400Mhz (15 of them deticated to minecraft)
SSD 960 EVO (500 GB free)
It's not FPS lag (tho I have dropped from steady 150-300 to 100-200 fps), it's the kind of lag u usually see on servers (for example whenever I throw an item on the ground, it's super slow and it teleports back, kinda like moon gravity) I don't have that big of a problem with it but it makes my ME auto-crafting super slow (compared to before).
StoneBlock 1.0.28

Thanks,
doximanman
Which Threadripper family? IE 1000 or 2000 series? The 2000 Series has a "design feature" where only half of the cores have direct access to ram... any work on those cores without direct access has to request data through one of the cores that does. This is why the original gaming specs of the high end 2000's were worse than the Ryzen 2000s.

They've got some kind of work around that disables the non-direct ram access cores for better performance with games and other single thread programs.

This "Feature" has apparently been dealt with in the upcoming 3000 family chips, if the Epyc datacenter CPUs are any indicator. They made "chiplets", 7nm dies with 8 cores (8 on the Epyc) with a larger 14nm die "I/O multiplexer" handling all the Ram/PCI equally for all cores.

doxiMAN_MAN

Jul 4, 2016
Which Threadripper family? IE 1000 or 2000 series? The 2000 Series has a "design feature" where only half of the cores have direct access to ram... any work on those cores without direct access has to request data through one of the cores that does. This is why the original gaming specs of the high end 2000's were worse than the Ryzen 2000s.

They've got some kind of work around that disables the non-direct ram access cores for better performance with games and other single thread programs.

This "Feature" has apparently been dealt with in the upcoming 3000 family chips, if the Epyc datacenter CPUs are any indicator. They made "chiplets", 7nm dies with 8 cores (8 on the Epyc) with a larger 14nm die "I/O multiplexer" handling all the Ram/PCI equally for all cores.
I got the 1950x.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You can debate CPUs to the end of the world. No CPU will be enough for thoughtless abuse of the mechanics. I would steer away from any pack/mod that promotes this behaviour. Unless the players know exactly what they are doing(including understanding the game mechanics), and show restraint in how they use such mods, you can completely wreck the game without any effort involved.
A lot of effort was put into the mod development during the earlier years of modded minecraft to avoid this. But in recent years it seems so many mods are basically just trying to outdo each other in bigger numbers. These "time altering" mods(causing other mods items to process multiple times per tick) are IMO the pinnacle of this stupidity.

Reactions: Drbretto

doxiMAN_MAN

Jul 4, 2016
You can debate CPUs to the end of the world. No CPU will be enough for thoughtless abuse of the mechanics. I would steer away from any pack/mod that promotes this behaviour. Unless the players know exactly what they are doing(including understanding the game mechanics), and show restraint in how they use such mods, you can completely wreck the game without any effort involved.
Yeah I understand why it happens (in that area where the watch is being used the tps is higher which makes the proccessing slower and minecraft cant keep up), I was asking if there was another way to make a farm go that fast (or close to it) without breaking the game.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah I understand why it happens (in that area where the watch is being used the tps is higher which makes the proccessing slower and minecraft cant keep up), I was asking if there was another way to make a farm go that fast (or close to it) without breaking the game.
Crop farms are among the most resource intensive solutions there are compared to gain. I see a lot of people use the chickens, but I have no clue how those work and how much processing they require per end result.
But the best thing you could do is just be patient. Do something else while it grinds resources. You will most likely end up having a much better experience, than constantly rushing for instant gratification.

PS: TPS is not a local thing. It is universal. It is the processing time of those chunks(and its contents) that is high.

doxiMAN_MAN

Jul 4, 2016
Crop farms are among the most resource intensive solutions there are compared to gain. I see a lot of people use the chickens, but I have no clue how those work and how much processing they require per end result.
But the best thing you could do is just be patient. Do something else while it grinds resources. You will most likely end up having a much better experience, than constantly rushing for instant gratification.
Yeah, I guess being patient is the best thing i could do now.

Last edited:

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard anything more than 8gb allocated to minecraft and java has a hard time deciding what to do with data. Try lowering it.

Reactions: rhn

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
yeah, i tried changing it to 8 but im still getting the tps lag when using the watch.
The RAM isn't causing that lag. Too much RAM will cause other issues, though. Mostly pauses during garbage collection. There's little to be gained from going too high, too.

That said, I run at 10. The whole idea is a little bit overblown, IMO. It's good general advice to start lower and only bump it up if you really need it, but that's not your issue here.

The issue here isn't really your fault, either. Of course you want those mats faster. You got one mod that's asking for a billion of everything, and a mod that's designed to break the game to give it to you.

Reactions: doxiMAN_MAN

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I would highly suggest going the chickens route. The only things you can't make with them are netherstars.. I think...

Breed your chickens, using the watch to speed them up, once you get 16 of a resource chicken up to 10x10x10 get them producing right away. If you need to ramp up, maxed out chickens breed quite fast and you can have a wall of emerald chickens producing 3 emeralds every few seconds. Rinse and repeat with the other materials you will need, just be aware, the gold chickens (for some ungodly reason) produce nuggets, not ingots, so a compacting drawer will come in handy here.

Reactions: doxiMAN_MAN

doxiMAN_MAN

Jul 4, 2016
Just reread the OP and:

That will surely kill your performance too lol.
But it will not help on this issue.
The RAM isn't causing that lag. Too much RAM will cause other issues, though. Mostly pauses during garbage collection. There's little to be gained from going too high, too.

That said, I run at 10. The whole idea is a little bit overblown, IMO. It's good general advice to start lower and only bump it up if you really need it, but that's not your issue here.

The issue here isn't really your fault, either. Of course you want those mats faster. You got one mod that's asking for a billion of everything, and a mod that's designed to break the game to give it to you.

Appearantly the problem is because of all the growth accelerators I put under the farm, I tried making a new farm with the clock and without any growth accelerators, just for testing, and it worked like a charm of little to 0 drop in fps or tps lag. lol im dumb

Last edited: