Minecraft Darwin Awards 2014

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
So, for those of you who don't know, the Darwin awards are a satirical, tongue in cheek honour that is given to people who have removed themselves from the genepool in the most ridiculously stupid way possible. Charles Darwin was the one who is credited for the phrase "natural selection" and well, humanity has a way of naturally selecting people who aren't this stupid.
So what does this mean in the sense of Minecraft? Well, I want to hear about your most ridiculous deaths, the ones where you just sit back in your chair and say "well, balls... that was dumb"
The worst/funniest ones I may quote and add to the OP.
So, without further adieu...

So I took a long time to get to the nether in one of my single player worlds, it wasn't a priority at the time so it was no big deal, but I did end up with full invar armour, full set of lovely tinkers tartarite tools (extratic) the works. I wanted to make a nice nether base for myself, so I brought along quite a few building materials, like 4 stacks of RC quarried stone/infernal stone, my builders wand, for some stupid reason I didn't put my hard earned 23 diamonds away before going to the nether... So this was the first time I'd gone to the nether in 1.6.4, and the nether looked a LOT different, I spawned on ledge about 30 blocks above a lava lake, pretty good spawn, and I was stood on the edge of the ledge, looking around (it was wiiiide open area and I could see for a LONG distance) so I turn around to start building a little hut around my portal, aaand it's covered in lava.. slow falling lava from the roof had covered it and had flowed almost to where I was standing, to my left and right it was flowing off the edge (imagine what Frodo and Sam looked like at the end of RotK
02.jpg

So I'm stuck there, and I'm wondering if I can jump the gap to where it's safe.. it's about 3 blocks away, should be fine if I do a running jump.. so I go for it, didn't happen to see the firebat though (goddamn firebat b*****d f**k!!!) which happened to blow up and launch me off the edge where I fell into the lava lake beneath... buggerations.. it was only after I had cursed and respawned that I realised that I could have just placed blocks in the lava to build myself a brige to safety...

So, let me know about your stupidest deaths, maybe it will jog my memory to remember more, cause believe me I die a LOT :/ I just have a crappy memory also :p

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
"Diamonds near lava" hardly counts; everyone knows there's a magnetic effect at work there. ;)

While playing around with (the very OP) Morph, I decided to go get some forms from the Nether. So, bat mode (infinite creative mode flight + no fall damage), and off I went.

I killed a few things, and started to review my list of acquirements. While fairly close to the ground. A pigmen came by and walloped me, and in my confusion I left-clicked (which changes you into whatever form you happen to have selected on the Morph list).

And so I turned into a who-knows-what, and with my bat wings gone, I naturally fell into a nearby stream of lava. In my haste to save my inventory, I managed to swim out of the stuff (while still being batted about by the pigman) and then promptly jumped off the nearest cliff (figuring "might be lava" to be a safer bet then "definitely in lava").

I returned to find no items at all, just a grave stone right next to a long vertical stream of lava. It wasn't until later that someone told me that punching the grave would release all my safely stored items.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Um, does every single death I have count?
falling off of something that I knew I couldn't land. huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Get set up in new world. Dig down to y=10, make a 7x7x3 room, and banch 3 of the sides out for the beginnings of a mine. Find 6 diamonds and a few other bits in the process. Get back to the room, and decide to clean it up a little before dropping things off. Take the Topaz in the wall, mine the Chimerite in the floor. Fall though the new hole into the large lake of lava. Ragequit and delete world.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
The other day, I put my Jetpack and Nano Boots in MFEs to charge them. While waiting for them to charge, I decided to go out and jump into my quarry to see if it had uncovered any nice XP-giving ores for me to dig manually. After all, it had dug all the way down to layer 15 or so, so there should be plenty of fun stuff down there.

My base, where I had left my boots and jetpack, is located at layer 75. Which means I had plenty of time to think "wait a second..." while in midair.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
The other day, I put my Jetpack and Nano Boots in MFEs to charge them. While waiting for them to charge, I decided to go out and jump into my quarry to see if it had uncovered any nice XP-giving ores for me to dig manually. After all, it had dug all the way down to layer 15 or so, so there should be plenty of fun stuff down there.

My base, where I had left my boots and jetpack, is located at layer 75. Which means I had plenty of time to think "wait a second..." while in midair.
Why nano boots? I always use long fall boots. They don't need a recharge.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
> Rope ladder
> Descend into a ravine
> Skeleton tries to shoot me off the ladder
> Fails
> Why you little...
> Run after skeleton for revenge
> Forget I was still 30 blocks from the bottom, dangling from a ladder
> The skeleton won

And this, kids, is why you carry ranged weapons around.

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Today, while in the Erebus, I was somewhat low on health and I ran from a Scorpion in the Volcanic Desert. The Scorpion follows me, and falls into the lava pool I parkoured over (note, it's fire resistant).
I walk back, to look at this lavaswimming crawler, and then I get attacked in the back by an Antlion. I fall into the lava, where the Scorpion grabs me and poisons me.

I died in the deadly hug of a Scorpion, while being toasted.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Today, while in the Erebus, I was somewhat low on health and I ran from a Scorpion in the Volcanic Desert. The Scorpion follows me, and falls into the lava pool I parkoured over (note, it's fire resistant).
I walk back, to look at this lavaswimming crawler, and then I get attacked in the back by an Antlion. I fall into the lava, where the Scorpion grabs me and poisons me.

I died in the deadly hug of a Scorpion, while being toasted.
nope-badger.gif

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Why nano boots? I always use long fall boots. They don't need a recharge.
Nano Boots require a single Diamond to craft a usable pair. Long Fall Boots require four. Seeing as I had a quarry at the time, I must have had a few diamonds, but I recall I was saving up for something, and decided to go for the less Diamond-costly route.

Graeme97

Jul 29, 2019
was mining something to the right and below obsidian, and naturally, stand at the same level, I mine it, and lava starts pouring in from the hole I made. Naturally, I go for my healing spell, hoping I'd have enough mana to get me out, rather than plugging the hole with the blocks I ALSO had in my hotbar.... Yeah.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Another Nether story ...

Portal spawned on a nice flat platform of soul sand and gravel around y80.

I was placing down torches to mark out the boundaries for a quick cobble hut when suddenly whoooosh ... free falling ... lava ... noooooo.

What happened? Parts of the gravel platform were unsupported, so I'm guessing the torch placement triggered a block update and gravity took over. Weird, huh?

Reactions: kaiomann