[MindCrack] Solar Boilers?

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
So I looked around for a while and noticed something about reflective mirrors working on boilers. So I've tried a ton of things in a test world with no luck. So unless there is some new block that I have no clue about then may I ask what is happening here?

If there is a boiler besides the LP and HP ones then..
  • How do you craft it/them?
  • What is the correct placement for the boiler to work?
  • What is a good way to get load of mirrors to recognize it?
Oh and if there are other ways of it working besides factorization's reflective mirrors, what are they?

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
In the older version of Factorization (which is apparently being retired?), you'd put the reflective mirrors around a solar turbine, with an infinite water source set up under the turbine; the water would be drawn into the turbine, the turbine would turn, the water would regenerate, and so on.
I think the newer version has a turbine that can be hooked up to Railcraft steam.

I haven't heard about putting mirrors around a Railcraft boiler, though. How would that work?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization supplies its own boiler in the latest version (basically it split the solar turbine into two blocks, one boiler block and one turbine block).

It never had anything to do with Railcraft boilers, other than that they produce cross-compatible steam ;)

allmyr

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization supplies its own boiler in the latest version (basically it split the solar turbine into two blocks, one boiler block and one turbine block).

It never had anything to do with Railcraft boilers, other than that they produce cross-compatible steam ;)
Do you know how much steam they produce?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, sorry. I generally don't run Factorization in my worlds.

Although on second thought, disabling IC2's solar panels and its derivatives, and letting EU generation from solar power be handled by Factorization's sunlight boiler and a Railcraft turbine, might be an interesting experiment...

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
with 24 mirrors and 1 boiler I was producing a little bit more then a commercial steam engine uses.
or enough for an industrial one to run at 4.7-4.8mj/t. only during the day ofc

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Btw does anyone know if a Liquiduct over a mirror blocks it from working? Because if there is one between the Solar boiler and the Mirrir it doesn't work

tompy97

Jul 29, 2019
2013-07-07_21.14.48.png
each mirror adds roughly 10mb/t of steam, or 1/2 and eu/t. The ideal placement of mirrors lets you get 56 mirrors around a single boiler, which produces 28 eu/t. Pretty underwhelming i think, but it runs forever once you get it built i guess.

Also, you can stack the boilers and they share their steam. You can make some pretty cool solar power plants (such as the one I built in creative, shown above)

tompy97

Jul 29, 2019
228 mirrors i believe, though that is a rough calculation so I could be off...

The whole setup produces roughly 114 eu/t, not quite as much as a 36hp bioler. Not bad really, but keep in mind the mirrors use 9 silver ingots each...

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Just use Powerconverters factorization converter it's MUCH less hassle than making that bloody lot above.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Just use Powerconverters factorization converter it's MUCH less hassle than making that bloody lot above.
But that would be about three blocks just... standing there. "that bloody lot above" is instead something you can fancy up and be a tad bit more proud of. It's not always about min/maxing things. Somethings I want to look out of my Workshops' tower and go "Ahh.. all those purdyful structure are mine.. *le sentimental sigh*" ;)

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
I built it myself in creative to test stuff.

I got 240 Mirrors in total. With 24 I was able to power an Industrial Steam Engine at 4.8 Mj/t. So with 240 Mirrors it should be 5 at 8 Mj. But my 5 Engines were runngin at ~6.5 Mj/t. Does anyone know why?

Raisu

Jul 29, 2019
Wekmor, not 100% sure about that, I may be able to try something later.

Anyways, I did the same thing in my creative world however I used a stack of 9 boilers. (only 8 active using 56, 40, 36, 32, 28, 24, 16, 7 mirrors going from top to bottom). The 9th boiler on the bottom was to connect to an infinite water source (which provides the bottom layer of 7-8 mirrors that you don't see in Tompy97's screenshot)

I had lead wire going from the Solar Turbine at the top of the boiler stack going down and out through the ground (which had me remove a mirror) to an Energy Bridge. One test was to output MJ which it generated ~115 MJ/t using the Charge that was produced. Another test was to output EU using multiple MV Producing Energy Bridges. This generated ~880 EU/t.

That said, using the steam generated in other objects to produce MJ or EU might not be the greatest idea in terms of maximizing your gains.

Knowing now that i can output the steam and store it however, will make a huge difference in some new testing I'm doing today.

@Tompy97: You might want to use a Charge Meter on your boilers to see how much power each is receiving (1 mirror = 1 power). Mirrors will face a boiler as long as there is not a block between it and the boiler and is within range, however they will not produce any power if it has a block above it.

If the Liquiducts are causing some mirrors to not generate power, I'm sure a Liquid Tesseract / Ender Tank / etc would solve that by allowing you to output the liquid without going over the mirrors.

Reactions: tompy97

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019

Yes but that is just boring... Awesome setup tompy97, will definitely be building this into a massive solar gen farm one day;) do you have any idea how many boilers you can stack??

EDIT:- nvm guess max height is governed by the mirror distance from the boiler, you prob about maxed out there...

Raisu

Jul 29, 2019
@Scottulus, yes thats where it maxed out at due to the detection range. Just one however can provide alot of energy when its running at max speed if you read through my post (I apologize, it was longer than i intended).