Mfr tree farms and boilers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys so I was wondering ?

I'm running a tree from using mfr and so far I'm powering a 2x2x4 hp boiler from a silver upgraded tree farm! I use the wood for charcoal by splitting it and just burning it up in a furnace using wood for the fuel and the charcoal then it goes straight into a boiler so I believe this is very inefficient ?

I would love to know how many boilers you can support and how you go about managing your wood from your farm ? I'm looking to power 4 or more 36 hp boilers if that is possible ? I can do way more so if you can tell me how to then that would be great

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Currently using MFR Planter and Harvester, each upgraded with a tin upgrade to service a 9x9 jungle tree farm without a Fertilizer. Feeding the wood into an induction furnace which transfer the charcoal into a DSU which is then transferring the charcoal out to support my 2 36HP Steam boilers. Still seeing the DSU having and gaining surplus. I'm using tesseracts for all those item and liquid transferring needs. I'm also using the steam consumer> energy bridge> mv producer> MFE> Induction Furnace for turning my wood into charcoal. Right now, it is fast enough to handle my 9x9 jungle farm.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Use some of the charcoal to produce charcoal once you get that going. Burning wood for charcoal is a lot less efficient materials wise.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Haha see I'm very early game ( 3 days in ) and I was wondering then I have so much steam left over from my boiler that I could just run 2 induction furnaces and then 1 fertilizer ? how does that sound ?

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
The most efficient way to turn your wood into Charcoal is with a Coke Oven, as you don't have to burn anything in those to make Charcoal and you even get Creosote as a byproduct which can also be burned. The problem? It's very slow. You'll need a lot of them if you want to have a stable power supply from them and considering it's a multiblock it will take a lot of space as well.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Talking about boilers, is there any point in outputting the steam into storage?
Couldn't hurt to have a tank of steam just in case the boiler goes down. I've never tried it to see how long it would last, but it would keep some power going for a little while.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly don't think so because when you start a boiler then I'm sure you have a renewable fuel to run it 24/7 so that means that you will always have steam !

Maybe if you need a burst of power ?

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
But yes the coal coke oven idea is nice but on a server it is not very practical ? But I really like the idea of creosote oil for fuel as well !!

Do you guys use the sapplings as well ?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I usually get too much saplings so I usually feed the excess to my bioreactor for backup fuel source.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
What is more efficient for the extra sapplings ? Bioreactor or the fermenter ? I'm thinking of powering a separate boiler with these sapplings !

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I would love to know how many boilers you can support and how you go about managing your wood from your farm ?

Depends on if you have a steady supply of cow poop for your fertilizers. With poop you can support loads of boilers with a single farm. Without it's a lot slower (probably about 1.5 36HP boilers, rough guesstimate). The output of farms with fertilizer is pretty rediculous.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
So if I had a breeder with some sewers and a composter then a fertilizer ? Iv had this setup before and it works well but I am guessing I would need the fastest a harvester could be ? In order to keep up ?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I will be storing my steam, because I am routing my excess but that excess is variable. My only continuous MJ consumption process is my lava production. That's already been done with combustion engines (less efficient), but it's a legacy process for my base and I'm not going to bother changing it. It works, all 160 combustion engines working 'round the clock.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Wow how long have you had the world ? 160 WOW !! I just started and my single boiler produces waay to much power for my needs and I don't even use it all !! I just don't do anything with the excess until I get liquiducts

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If you build things in modules, getting to really high numbers becomes quite easy. Each module consists of 40 engines, so every time I feel like vamping things up, I add another 40 engine module.

This is a hint about design. If you allow your system space to grow as your base grows, you will find that you may never get bored. I have plans for another 80, if and if I get all my other dumb projects done. >_>.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Lol see I only concentrate on one thing at a time ! That's why I have a room to fill 6 boilers so I definitely have room to expand !

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
No ways lol if I even dare to start 2 things at once ! One will always fall to the side no matter what ! Being a admin also makes doing things and concentrating on my own things very hard when little kids don't know how to make something or want a cc turtle to build their whole house !