MFR Tree farm issues

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gabe224

Jul 29, 2019
I have a small (3x3) rubber tree farm using a fertilizer, harvester, planter, everything runs perfectly except. 1. it doesnt pick up all the saplings, I will walk by an there will be stacks on the floor. and 2. randomly a tree will grow and the harvester will only take out the bottom block of it, and then the whole thing stops working.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Are you on a chunk border? I don't know if that'd effect anything, but it's known to cause issues with just about everything else.

The harvester will spit out items as soon as its invisible (iirc) internal storage is full. You need to route those items using a sorting system from the harvester to their respective locations. For my system I have a diamond pipe that directs saplings back to the planter, with everything else towards my central collection area.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is more likely the "pop out" bug/mechanic. It's not that the farm is not picking up all the saplings, it's more likely the already planted saplings are popping out of the ground because of grown trees/light changes they violate the planted status. These pop outs do not get picked up by the harvester as they do not directly come from the trees.

This is made worse by the planter trying to replant the sapling for it to pop out again and keep trying until you either run out of saplings or the status changes and the sapling remains planted. I've seen sooooooo many saplings wasted because of this "mechanic" and the larger the farm the worse it becomes.

Quite why Forestry farms don't suffer the same fate must be in the coding I guess.

Reactions: Saice

Gabe224

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I realized that it might have to do with light levels, so I put torched all around it, but the problem still persists.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I realized that it might have to do with light levels, so I put torched all around it, but the problem still persists.

It's not just light levels, if you get trees grow all the way around a sapling that sapling sometimes pops out of the ground and I've dropped a torch next to the spot where it popped out and it wont replant.

Reactions: Saice

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly this seems to be an issue with the small farms and less common on the large upgraded ones.

One work around is a simple wood golem to pick up the random left overs.

The tree breaking thing where only the bottom log is taken also seems more common on the 3x3 and at least from what I have found is a chunk loading issue.

Gabe224

Jul 29, 2019
Are you below or above ground?
Above.

Sadly this seems to be an issue with the small farms and less common on the large upgraded ones.

One work around is a simple wood golem to pick up the random left overs.

The tree breaking thing where only the bottom log is taken also seems more common on the 3x3 and at least from what I have found is a chunk loading issue.
Yeah I was thinking about having a wood golem, but I havent taken up thaumcraft un my unleashed world yet...

As for the size of the farm, I think I will just make it as big as I can if it will resolve the issue.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
As for the size of the farm, I think I will just make it as big as I can if it will resolve the issue.

Here is my theroy on this issue. But let me stress this is just my view as I have not looked at the code and do not know how this works on the back end.

But what I think makes the larger farms less likely to have the breakage issue is the speed. MFR 3x3's run crazy fast and I belive the missing block issue is when the plater and fertilizer sort of sync up have a tree gorw and replacing its frist block with a spaling in rapid order. This still sometimes happens on the other larger farms but since there is so much spacing and the whole thing runs slower (and skips around a bit on its scan) the farm has a lower chance of breaking and the harverster has more chances to sort of fix the issue itself when a tree grows next to the broken one.

But it is just a thoery I usely run my tree frams as 5x5s and dont have much issue other then the extra sapplings thing.

Reactions: RedBoss

securitywyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to confirm that it's the planter. The big hint is that there are 'stacks' of saplings on the ground, but trees don't produce that many saplings that quickly. It is from when your 3x3 grid is full on the outside and there's a space inside. The planter then hemorhages saplings trying to plant that center square but they keep popping out. I've found if you just replace your center block with a light source, you'll not have the issue. In the larger tree farms with fertilizer going, I made every other block brick and put a torch on it.