mfr tree farm exploded?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
im trying to figure out why my farm exploded. i had an advanced solar panel powering it at 32 eu/tick. it was not keeping up, which was fine. i had it connected to a planter with jungle tree saplings, a harvester outputting to the barells, one barell sent saplings back to planter with wooden pipe and redstone pump a gold and cobblestone pipes. i had a sludge boiler next to the harvester .I was using fiber cables to power machines. none directly touched the redstone pump. in fact the redstone pump was still intact

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Advanced solar panel producing 32Eu/t? You sure it wasnt a Hybrid panel?

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
Modpack? I'm running unleashed 1.1.3 and I've not had any issue directly powering my planter/harvesters with HV current (That would be an MFSU or Ultimate Solar Panel).

No clue what you mean with a redstone pump though...

As for solar sizes:
Advanced produces 8 but outputs 32
Hybrid produces 64 but outputs 128
Ultimate produces and outputs 512

As for the compacted ones, they produce 8, 64, 512 respectivly.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
MFR machines dont explode from too much current. And by redstone pump he means redtone engine.

This

As a big time MFR user I can tell you without a doubt MFR machines never explode. It would be the Buildcraft/IC2 side of your build that most likely blew up. That or a creeper.

Reactions: PierceSG

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I'd have to agree with the pipes exploding being most likely. I tried with BC gates, but they don't have the conditionals you would need for MFR to keep an overflow from happening. The best solution I came up with is to not try to pump into the harvester. Fill it manually initially. Then have your harvester output go to the planters input with a diamond pipe set to insert saplings. Continue the pipe from there into your storage. All the saplings will fill the planter until it is full, then they will continue past towards your storage with the wood and apples you get. This keeps loops out of your pipe system as well as keeping anything from overflowing or blowing up. Here is an example i made to show you.
7QjiSMj.png

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Screenshots my friend. Screenshots are golden- they tell a 1000 words and can't be mis-read.
Also which modpack (or mod versions for custom packs/setup)​

But it sounds like you made an item loop with the saplings, though normally pipes just vomit everywhere when overfilled.

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
thanks. it must have been cobble pipes with too many items. did not know that was possible. oh, and ftb unleashed 1.1.7 hc/ssp.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Try upgrading to gold pipes asap for high traffic piping. Use the lower end ones for low-priority, low traffic stuffs. Quarries and farms in general are pretty high in traffic.
Also, as Celestialphoenix says, avoid loops. Set up an overflow collection point. Into a void pipe/chest or trashcan/incinerator if you need to. Looping items in BC pipes is bad.

Fe2O3

Jul 29, 2019
I had a logistics pipe explode on me yesterday, chest for wood was full ...

Upgrade to DSUs, and never are about storage for wood/saplings/apples/charcoal ever anymore.

What cables did you use to connect the solar to the energy storage, and what cables did you use to route power to the planter and harvester ?

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
I had none of the 3 barells full. I really don't know how what people mean by looping. Harvester to barrel and barell to planter is a "C", not an "O". Also, not sure how to avoid that either, if I need to refill saplings. I do not know how to use logistics pipes. But maybe if I placed a request pipe on planter and regular logistics pipes going to the barrel, it will work correctly next time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Another possibility, and this is a lot less likely than something from buildcraft or ic2 exploding, is that a creeper spawned somewhere up in the tree during the harvesting process, fell off and you just happened to be close enough to cause it to explode as it hit the ground. 1.5 vanilla changed creepers such that they fully prime themselves to explode whenever they fall such that they explode instantly if you're within 3-4 blocks of where they hit the ground.

Fe2O3

Jul 29, 2019
I had none of the 3 barells full. I really don't know how what people mean by looping. Harvester to barrel and barell to planter is a "C", not an "O". Also, not sure how to avoid that either, if I need to refill saplings. I do not know how to use logistics pipes. But maybe if I placed a request pipe on planter and regular logistics pipes going to the barrel, it will work correctly next time?

I've had some bad experience with logi pipes + barrels, the system for some reason couldn't keep up (5 log types from 5 farms into 5 different auto furnaces) , once again, deep storage units > barrels :)

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
yeah. it was probably a creeper. i didnt think it was, because i took no damage but i did have nano suit. looking back at explosion didnt make sense that it came from my machines or cables. my first attempt at this doesnt matter because afterwards, i set off to find tin at level 40, and ran into a lava lake. i tried to block it off and tunnel through but i got caught on fire and died. so i had to make a new world. the whole purpose of this farm was to produce scrap for iridium to make quantum armor. ridiculous number of vines...

steve g

Jul 29, 2019

one thing i always do on my tree farms, using routers: use a diamond pipe on the mfr harvester. set black slot to saplings. run cobble pipe down from diamond to the planter (using black output of diamond pipe). next to planter, place a router with machine filter upgrade, set to machine type to planter, and have it in extract mode, pulling from slot 11. add an autoeject upgrade, and place a dsu, tesseract, recycler, whatever to the side on the router items will be ejected from. this will always maintain 1 stack of saplings in the planter and no more. any excess will be sent to whatever you put on the router to recieve the excess saplings. set proper slots on diamond pipe for other tree items, enjoy ;)