MFR + Tinker's Construct Smelting Factory

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
I have wanted to do something like this for a long time, and I have finally got around to it. This is a fairly low-tech, early-game smelting factory; ores go in, metal blocks come out, although it still doubles the output, so... yeah. Anyway, it was really fun to build (I'm better at making things work than making them look pretty), and here are some pictures if you want to make one as well.

pd6y.png

This is the input chest for ores; they are pulled out by the ejector and are sent up the conveyor belt, where they will first be sorted.

6c8d.png

Each item router pulls one type of ore from the top conveyor belt and sends it to the smeltery. From left to right, the ores pulled are lead, copper, aluminum, and iron. Anything else drops to the bottom layer.

3q34.png

This is the "bottom layer" talked about above; from left to right, the ores pulled are gold, silver, and tin.

03po.png

The smeltery setup up-close; each smeltery is fueled with lava from the nether. Ores go into an item collector, which sends them to a vanilla hopper, which sends them to the smeltery. (Yes, the hopper needs to be there for it to work. Otherwise the ores don't start heating up until you open the GUI.)

0cb4.png

Once the ores are in liquid form, they are pumped out of the smelteries and into tanks using good old-fashioned BuildCraft. A redstone pulse then activates the seared faucets to pour the molten metal into casting basins. (I chose to use basins instead of ingot casts for simplicity's sake.)

8zh2.png

Although you can't see it in this picture, more vanilla hoppers pull the metal blocks from the casting basins, ejectors pull them from the hoppers and put them onto the final conveyor belt.

izg9.png

This is what I used to control the redstone. A RS clock generates the pulse, a piston T flip-flop slows it down, and the muffler keeps me from getting a headache. A comparator is used because I had no repeaters and was too lazy to make more. :p

azh4.png

And thus, the final result.

As I said before, this smelting factory is pretty low-tech and early game, but it was fun to build and debug, and to me this is what FTB is all about.

P.S. A note on the fire in the background: I had the (mis)fortune of my local oil spawn being hit by lightning. So then, fire happened. Lots and lots of fire. Luckily it doesn't spread past the oil or destroy it.

Reactions: sefz and agaricus

MrJeff

Jul 29, 2019
That is very cool. I've just done a single smeltery, and normally I just connect a pipe directly to the basin and put a hopper underneath it. I miss out on the fun, flashy redstone!

Does it get overloaded? What happens and how do you resolve it?

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Technically it could get overloaded, but since the hoppers provide a buffer of 5 stacks it hasn't happened yet. ;)