MFR Safari Net Thermal Expansion Recipe?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Asked a similar thing on reddit. Thought I would get some feedback here as well. What would you do to make safari net more of a late game item?

I was using minetweaker to force me to try some new playstyles/mods. Tried a run with just netherstar in place of tear and it changes the timing a little, but not quite to end game like i wanted.

With the tear + 4 pearl recipe I used it and the spawner pretty early and just snowball down a path where I can basically get everything from autospawner mobs and really only leave my base to go capture a new mob for it's materials. Never setup anything in the end or nether since the safari net eliminates the need.

So to push me further down a different path and try new things I thought I would change the recipe more. I looked at a lot of MFR TE recipes and felt like safari net might be a good extension of the portaspawner recipe.

Here is my thought for my next world (default recipe is 4 ender pearl and a tear):
Na8y1it.png

MFR TE recipe of portaspawner (no change):
UkhFCG7.png

Broken down safari net with TE recipe of portaspawner is then something like: 1 nether star, 2 glass, 28 enderium ingots, 14 Ferrous ingots, 28 Iron ingots, 8 Ender Pearls (fill 2 tesseracts), 8 Bronze, 8 Silver, 8 Hardened Glass (32 quartz or 4 lead + 8 obsidian), and 2 diamonds.

Even with all that I still think safari net is cheap, but leaves a good middle game period where setting up farms in the end / nether makes more sense than trying to use safari nets for everything.

Xheotris

Jul 29, 2019
There's no real way to answer this, because how you play determines what's scarce. I find that around mid game, I would be more than happy with a 1:1 trade of diamonds for clay balls or leather, just because I never automate clay or cows. So, what don't you automate? Use that in the recipe in large quantities.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Yea i guess a personal rule would work as well. Like no auto-spawner till after the ender dragon. Was just enjoying minetweaker and editing config files to get a fresh feel to 1.6.4.

Not sure what would be scarce without the auto-spawner as I got so used to b-lining for it that I usually got by on Tico tools. I'll hopefully get a good run through of the recipes above this weekend and see how it feels. I think I might for the first time use the porta-spawner to move some spawners to a central location since it will be a cheap option relative to a auto-spawner + safari net(s).

Probably have a mix of both a difficult recipe and personal rule as I already have a bunch power generators I have a personal rule not to use, but leave enabled for the recipes that use them.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
well... it depends on your own playing style, and for an end-game item that's probably not a bad recipe
but for me safari nets are something more for mid-game, so that recipe would be too expensive for me

I'd change the recipe so the tesseracts would become hardened glass, invar and enderium blocks would be ingots and the porta spawner would be a jailers safari net.
the jailers safari net requires an one time use safari net, so I'd change the recipe of the one time safari net aswell, because that recipe doesn't make much sense, it's just 4 string, a piece of leather and a slimeball
I don't really know what a good recipe would be for the one time safari net... perhaps 4 iron bars and an ender pearl?

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
If you wanted to make it a later game item, you could use shiny ingot blocks for part of the recipe. Those take tons of ferrous to get, but it might still be easy if you are only making one safari net. Maybe only allow the single use ones.

Oh if you have MPS installed, you could change the recipe to 9 ion thrusters right?:p