MFR Laser Drill Power

BuzzSa

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I tried searching but could not find a answer as to how much power I need to give the laser for fasted production. I would prefer to give it eu. I have drill running at moment with 4 prechargers and a mfsu powering 2 and 2nd mfsu powering other two chargers. I'm on direpack 1.1.4 so 1.5.2 minecraft.

Thanks
Buzz

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have experience with powerig the laser drill pre-chargers via EU, but max MJ per pre-charger is exactly 100 MJ/t in Unleashed, which should be the same MFR version as Direpack 1.1.4. The pre-chargers won't accept more than 100 MJ/t in my current world. If the usual 2:5 conversion rate holds, that should translate to 250 EU/t per charger for a total of 1000 EU/t per laser if all 4 chargers are used. However, I recommend you attach an energy buffer (ex: MFSU) to each pre-charger and measure over time just to be 100% sure.

I usually play for several hours a day and build a medium amount. I have built 3 lasers with 4 chargers each and that's producing way more resources than I can use. 1 wasn't enough for my building needs, but 2 should be just about right.

BuzzSa

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the info. That is exactly what I needed to know. I will power them with maybe 2 or 3 MFSU's per precharger and then fill the MFSU's with Solar Panels. Just want a buffer for the night time and rainy days ;)

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
I think the max they need for full speed work cycle is 100mj/t, but that is with no height discount/penalty placed at midrange Y level (60-70?). The higher you put it, the less you need per tick to get the same work cycle speed to a maxium 20% discount at 126 height, so 80mj/t. Where if you are under a certain Y level (er, 60?) you start to gain a penalty. Again, to a max of 120mj/t. So costs more at bedrock than it does at Y 126. My numbers might be off, but think that's roughly the idea. Regardless of erroneous numbers, the point is the higher you place the laser, the less you will actually need to power it fully. Ultimately, I don't think it matters much unless you are trying to maximize and squeeze every drop of power/efficiency out of things. Just an interesting FYI. Your mileage may vary.

namae

Jul 29, 2019
I dont really undestand people's fascination with it, being 200k mj per ore. Yeah, its renewable but you can't even make focus for rubies leaving you with diamonds and emeralds at best, and those are not very useful once you get to this stage. Disregard that if you play flat world without mystcraft though.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I dont really undestand people's fascination with it, being 200k mj per ore. Yeah, its renewable but you can't even make focus for rubies leaving you with diamonds and emeralds at best, and those are not very useful once you get to this stage. Disregard that if you play flat world without mystcraft though.

I wasn't after diamonds, but primarily iron and emeralds. Iron for steel to make BC boilers and tanks and emerald for villagers for bees, trees, and Mystcraft pages.

200K MJ/ore is a lot when you don't have the adequate power to drive it, i.e. early-to-mid game, but 200K MK/ore is not much when you have multiple 36HP boilers, HV solar panels, etc.,. The MFR Laser Drill and IC2 Mass/Matter Fab are more server-friendly than world-strippers (i.e. BC quarries, turtles directly digging, turtles moving drills, etc.,.)

In previous worlds, I have done a combination of quarries, turtles driven by own Lua code (that was fun to be debug;-)), and Mass/MatterFab. I had gotten all the fun I think I could get from those and I wanted to try something different this playthrough, so I used Laser Drills driven by steam-wheeshy 36HPs as my auto-resource-gatherer. To get to that stage, the TiC hammer in the Overworld and the Nether was my primary resource-gathering tool.

The fun lies not in the destination, but the journey.

BuzzSa

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't after diamonds, but primarily iron and emeralds. Iron for steel to make BC boilers and tanks and emerald for villagers for bees, trees, and Mystcraft pages.

200K MJ/ore is a lot when you don't have the adequate power to drive it, i.e. early-to-mid game, but 200K MK/ore is not much when you have multiple 36HP boilers, HV solar panels, etc.,. The MFR Laser Drill and IC2 Mass/Matter Fab are more server-friendly than world-strippers (i.e. BC quarries, turtles directly digging, turtles moving drills, etc.,.)

In previous worlds, I have done a combination of quarries, turtles driven by own Lua code (that was fun to be debug;-)), and Mass/MatterFab. I had gotten all the fun I think I could get from those and I wanted to try something different this playthrough, so I used Laser Drills driven by steam-wheeshy 36HPs as my auto-resource-gatherer. To get to that stage, the TiC hammer in the Overworld and the Nether was my primary resource-gathering tool.

The fun lies not in the destination, but the journey.

Agreed, I've done quarries, turtles and I have loads of mj and working on eu now. So if you setup 4 laser and feed them power you can forget about them. Just to get the basic building materials. If you need specific stuff you can go cave diving ans so on.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
The drill is just something you can throw your excess power into, you're bound to get excess power with boilers or solar power or biogas etc.