Mechanics of tree-breeding question (and its relation to bee breeding mechanics).(solved!)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
I've read somewhere that tree-breeding pretty much follows the same mechanism/engine of bee-breeding.

With that premise, I will refer to this particular post by Sengir quoted at the bottom of my post as the basis of my understanding of tree-breeding.

So, here's my situation and I'd like to verify if I'm just bonkers and not understanding tree-breeding/bee-breeding right, or if there appears to be something fishy going on.

I have 2 saplings, 1 pure-bred Apple Oak (i.e., identical traits on both columns), and 1 Hill Cherry-Apple Oak hybrid. I shall refer to them as A, and H-A, respectively. Their stats for both saplings are identical, they are both fruitless. the A trait is recessive (blue) and the H trait is dominant.

Given Sengir's post, I should get 4 possible outcomes from A (A-A essentially) and H-A. They are A-H, A-A, H-A, A-A. That is to say, 50% of the saplings converted will be a regular pure-bred Apple-Oak, with the remaining sets of 50% split between A-H and H-A hybrids.

Now, here's what is actually happening after 4 A-trees and 4 H-A trees were left with 7 bees overnight. I wounded up with about 7-8 stacks of saplings grafted from mutated leaf blocks. 4-5 of those stacks were pure-bred A-A saplings. 2-3 were H-A hybrid saplings and 1 H-A hybrid sapling with a trait that is not possible (e.g., all my trees were largest height across both parents, and is out of range from any other trees, but this one sapling had Average-Largest; and yes, all trees were freshly replanted so it wasn't leftovers from previous mutations).

There were 0 A-H hybrid saplings.

At this point, I am at a loss as to why this is happening. With bees, I'm fairly certain I would have gotten the A-H equivalent in the bee context.

The only guess I have right now is that it has something to do with how dominant-recessive genes work with trees.

Any ideas? I appreciate any input.
P.S. Running regular mindcrack pack.

Chromosomes
Each bee has a genome made up of 13 "chromosomes". Each chromosome represents a characteristic where "Species" is one of the characteristics. (For a full breakdown of the genome see http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki/index.php?n=Beebreeding.Main#Genetics) Each chromsome is again made up of two "alleles". One allele is primary, one is secondary (0 - 1).

Alleles
Each allele contains information on a characteristic. I.e. you can have a chromosome 0 that represents "Meadows-Meadows", meaning that the primary allele is Meadows and the secondary Meadows as well. You can also have a chromosome 9 "Cave dwelling - Not cave dwelling". Any combination of those two genes is possible without regard to recessesive or dominant. You can have a "Diligent-Meadows" chromosome, even though Diligent is recessive and Meadows is dominant.

However, only one of the two alleles will be active and actually affect the bee. If the characteristics on both alleles are dominant or both are recessive, the active allele will always be the primary. If the primary allele is recessive and the secondary dominant though, the secondary will override the primary and become the active allele. (There is an exception for some very rare bee effects which can actually be kind of "co-dominant", but I'll not spoil that. :p)

Inheritance
Now, when a queen dies and a new princess/drone is spawned the following occurs:

Parent 1: Meadows-Meadows (pure Meadows), Parent 2: Forest-Diligent

On spawning the new bee, Forestry will at random choose one allele of Parent 1 and one allele of Parent 2 and recombine them as a new chromosome for the offspring. The above example can thus lead to:

Meadows-Forest (active: Meadows), Forest-Meadows (active Forest), a Meadows-Diligent (active: Meadows) or a Diligent-Meadows (active: Meadows; Diligent is recessive!) bee.

Mutation
Only on the species chromosome there is another quirk: "Mutation" to simulate a kind of evolution. Certain combinations of bee species have a chance to yield a new one. The combination Meadows-Forest is one of those and can yield the Common allele with a pretty high chance. Before Forestry chooses a new allele for the offspring from the two randomly chosen alleles of the parents, it will compare them and if there is a mutation and if that mutation wins the dice roll, the resulting allele will not be one of the origin alleles, but rather the mutated one.

This adds the following possible outcomes to our above example: Common-Diligent (active: Common), Diligent-Common (active: Common; again, Diligent is recessive!), Meadows-Common (active: Meadows) and Common-Meadows (active: Common). Note that Forest-Common is not a possibility since its single allele is always required by the Common mutation.

(Note: That's off the top of my head, I am pretty sure I got the example right, but I haven't looked at the code in a while.)

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Trees are wierd.
Lets leave it at that.

I'm getting the same outcome with pure-bred A and purebred H (traits are different from the pure-bred A) as well. Even though the traits are different, I can't seem to get an A-H hybrid.

What the heck is going on I just want my pure-bred largest cherry trees. =(

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Why cherry?

Walnut is better for Seed oil, and Teak I think? Is better for sappiness.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Why cherry?

Walnut is better for Seed oil, and Teak I think? Is better for sappiness.

The fruits are not important to me. I've bred those traits out. I just want a pure-bred largest Cherry tree cause that's what I'm working on right now. Lol.

I've gotten all the traits into the oak tree already (Triple Saplings, Normal Yield, Highest sapiness, etc). I'm just trying to pass it on to the cherry tree and purify the cherry tree. At this point, the H-A tree has all the traits of A. Im just having trouble purifying the H.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with the average height at one point: One of the bees had the average pollen still carrying around, that's why you had exactly one sapling with average-largest.
H is dominant, A is recessive, so no wonder, that you had no A-H saplings, since in a dominant/recessive pairing, the dominart part is always the active part and the active stats are the one which can be seen on the left in the bee- or treealyzer. You probably had two stacks of H-A saplings, which could not be combined: One of those stacks is (primary-secondary) A-H, the other H-A, but both are (active-inactive) H-A.

Reactions: PoisonWolf

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with the average height at one point: One of the bees had the average pollen still carrying around, that's why you had exactly one sapling with average-largest.
H is dominant, A is recessive, so no wonder, that you had no A-H saplings, since in a dominant/recessive pairing, the dominart part is always the active part and the active stats are the one which can be seen on the left in the bee- or treealyzer. You probably had two stacks of H-A saplings, which could not be combined: One of those stacks is (primary-secondary) A-H, the other H-A, but both are (active-inactive) H-A.

Wow, that makes it crystal clear now. But why is it that with bees, we can still get a Recessive species as the active species (as noted in Sengir's post) but not for trees? That's where I'm confused.

And you're right. I always have two stacks of H-A hybrids that cannot mix. I figured that it's something to do with dominant/recessives at this point, but your post makes it crystal clear.

With that said, how would I go about passing certain traits on to a dominant species or purify a dominant species? At this point, my only guess/approach is to take a freakishly long-about way of getting another X-A hybrid where X is another dominant species and breed X-A with H-A in an attempts to get an H-X hybrid that are both dominant. Then breed H-X with H-A again in an attempt to get a H-H pure-bred. FML.

From my observations, you cannot breed two H-A hybrid trees (unlike bees).

EDIT: You're right. Even for bees, the hybrid drones will always be dominant as active species. Just tested this. But it is also because identical hybrids can be bred with each other which makes the bee process easier as opposed to trees, which cannot work that way. This makes the long-about route necessary. Oh well, time to get another X-A tree

EDIT2: Finally got a pure-bred cherry tree! Went with X-A, then bred X-A with H-A and waited for X-H and H-X. Breed those two and have pure-breed saplings for both X and H! Two birds with one stone.