Maximum Efficiency Steeve Cart Tree Farm TRACK Design?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
So far for my Steeve Tree farm i just do a typical O shape rail, and I know there a lot of better track design that give more efficiency. So anyone can give me a picture of a good track setup>?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about "maximum efficiency", but I suggest you use a "E" setup, instead of a "O".

Code:
###############
#-------------#
#-------------#
#--############
#--#
#--#
#--############
#-------------#
#-------------#
#--############
#--#
#--#
#--############
#-------------#
#-------------#
###############

# = rail
- = empty, dirt bellow
You can make more branches, or make them longer, but basically, always keep 2 spaces between rails, for the trees, any more is just a waste of space, any less is a waste of productivity.

You also need to put your cargo manager and its rail somewhere on the track.

EDIT: You might need to adapt the design based on the tree you want to grow, depending on how fast they grow.

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about "maximum efficiency", but I suggest you use a "E" setup, instead of a "O".

Code:
###############
#-------------#
#-------------#
#--############
#--#
#--#
#--############
#-------------#
#-------------#
#--############
#--#
#--#
#--############
#-------------#
#-------------#
###############

# = rail
- = empty, dirt bellow
You can make more branches, or make them longer, but basically, always keep 2 spaces between rails, for the trees, any more is just a waste of space, any less is a waste of productivity.

You also need to put your cargo manager and its rail somewhere on the track.

EDIT: You might need to adapt the design based on the tree you want to grow, depending on how fast they grow.
I been using this design but it have 3 space gap, does it really make a difference if it 3 space apart?

Attachments

• tree.png
    tree.png
    623.1 KB · Views: 186

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Just be aware that tightly clustered tree farm designs have the opportunity to lose a LOT of saplings due to how leaves from adjacent trees can over-write each other. If saplings are what you want then spread the farm out more so that leaf sharing is less likely.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know, man. For Saplings wouldn't the best option be using a track in a circle around a 2x2 empty space where you grow Fir or Redwood Saplings? One single one of those trees is a stack and a half of Saplings, and by giving it just enough space for 1 Tree to ever be grown at once, it'd mean that the tree would be grown, insta-chopped, and insta-grown again. Requires fertilizer to run optimally, of course. I know larger designs are made to be fertilizer independent, but i figure getting bonemeal is so trivial i don't know why you wouldn't automate it's acquisition, though.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Just be aware that tightly clustered tree farm designs have the opportunity to lose a LOT of saplings due to how leaves from adjacent trees can over-write each other. If saplings are what you want then spread the farm out more so that leaf sharing is less likely.

I have a super-dense tree farm and I still come at a huge surplus on saplings- this may be due to my meager 36LP boiler, though, and not using most of them.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I've run a 36 HP Boiler off of a small dense Steve's carts tree farm with alot of saplings leftover. I had to put some barrels down to stop them leaking everywhere overnight.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019

Have you actually used a SC tree farm? I guess not. If you had you'd know that the leaves do not decay, they are stripped off the trunk in layers by the wood cutter and any saps that would've dropped from them are deposited in the cart so it does not matter how close the trees are to each other in that respect. The trees will grow faster if they have more space, although oak trees aren't as fussy over it as pine and spruce.

My track layout is identical to slaymithos above but i have 3 spaces between the tracks where he shows 2. I have 4 separate tracks and carts all identical to that and it they provide me with enough saps to run 5 HP36s on biofuel and the wood caters for all my EU needs via IC generators.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Have you actually used a SC tree farm? I guess not. If you had you'd know that the leaves do not decay, they are stripped off the trunk in layers by the wood cutter and any saps that would've dropped from them are deposited in the cart so it does not matter how close the trees are to each other in that respect. The trees will grow faster if they have more space, although oak trees aren't as fussy over it as pine and spruce.

My track layout is identical to slaymithos above but i have 3 spaces between the tracks where he shows 2. I have 4 separate tracks and carts all identical to that and it they provide me with enough saps to run 5 HP36s on biofuel and the wood caters for all my EU needs via IC generators.
I think the point Dave was making is that having the trees growing on top of one another means the leaves will overwrite each other when they grow. Basically more space between trees means more leaves will grow in relation to the logs that grow, increasing the sapling:log ratio.

Reactions: AlanEsh

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019

Err, where did he mention decaying?

There are two things to consider:

First, your cart will plant every other block, no matter the sappling, so spacing the lanes will make space for a little more leaf blocks, but not that much more.
If sapplings in big quantities is what you primarily want out of it, you might want to use something else.

Secondly, for our friend baw179 here, when a tree grows, it spawns its leaves everywhere a transparent block (air, glass, torches) was, in a certain range, depending on the tree. If other leaves are already there, then it won't do much, and so there will be fewer leaf per three, meaning less drops from those when the cart harvests them.

To conclude, I would like to say that a single SC tree farm can easily power two 36LP boilers, if you pass them through a sawmill first. I did not try high pressure boilers, because heating them up is a pain, but you should be able to power one, and have a bit left.
The whole thing is to make sure that your cart has enough work each time it circles, so that it doesn't waste fuel on moving too much.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Secondly, for our friend baw179 here, when a tree grows, it spawns its leaves everywhere a transparent block (air, glass, torches) was, in a certain range, depending on the tree. If other leaves are already there, then it won't do much, and so there will be fewer leaf per three, meaning less drops from those when the cart harvests them.

Not necessarily and I had already considered that before making my reply. From experience with mine what often happens is if 1 tree has grown and not yet been harvested then when the adjacent one grows it sprouts into a super tree. I have not done any tests but I would be willing to place a small wager that the standard SC tree farm 1 block spacing between the saps will yield just as many saps as a more spaced out farm would do (say 2 blocks between the saps). Spacing them out more would also reduce overall efficiency by a small degree due to the extra 'dead' travelling time for the cart. Maybe we should do some tests?! :p

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I think he was pointing out for when a tree grows on the side that is not being harvested.

But yeah, if you make a track of a size that's too long, you will loose in efficiency for leaves anyway, because all trees will have grown when the cart comes back.

What I would say is to try out designs until you find one that fits your needs, just as you did.

Personally, I couldn't care less about saplings right now, because I am not making biomass, so my aim is to make the most wood out of the farm. Meaning my track is a bit longer, to let more trees grow while the cart is away cutting the rest.

But if you really want saplings, carts might not be the optimal way, and you might want to try out either a multifarm running very good forestry saplings (for more biomass per sapling), or go with the really big trees that have a lot of leaves.

Anyway, there is no perfect setup anyway, we just need to work it out based on what we want, and what we have (lack of tracks can make for shorter farms, for example).

TigersFangs

Jul 29, 2019
My Steve's cart tree farm is usually an E shape with a track length of 13 on the back, top, and bottom. That leaves me with 3 blocks between my rails at all times. However, if it is sapling production that you want, my tests have shown that for the same space, Forestry's multiblock tree farm has a MUCH higher sapling yield. Just saying. :)

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
I have a single SC farm powering a 36HP and a 36LP, all from log->sawmill->burning planks. and it still makes excess.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I have a single SC farm powering a 36HP and a 36LP, all from log->sawmill->burning planks. and it still makes excess.
I've run 3 36hp's from a single SC farm, feeding 2 sawmills, and still got excess. Without the fertilizer add-on. SC is nice:D

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
I've run 3 36hp's from a single SC farm, feeding 2 sawmills, and still got excess. Without the fertilizer add-on. SC is nice:D

I intensely dislike when people say they power X amount of boilers, WITHOUT giving the size of the farm as well. It's confusing at best, and those who are unfamiliar with how to lay it out and such, don't understand how to actually get that kind of wood from the system.

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
I intensely dislike when people say they power X amount of boilers, WITHOUT giving the size of the farm as well. It's confusing at best, and those who are unfamiliar with how to lay it out and such, don't understand how to actually get that kind of wood from the system.
Would you like to know?