Problem Massive server lag issues with new packs.

Skitch

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all :D

I am having some major issues with trying to get a new server up and stable.

I was able to run the standard FtB beta pack with no issues. That has been going since the first release.

I just nuked and paved my entire server and set it up clean to try the DW 20 pack.

By nuke and pave I mean erase the whole server and format the drive and start totally fresh.

I have a fresh copy of the latest server files of all the packs and the only one that is any good is the basic FtB Beta pack.

My currant set up is a
Mac Mini
2Ghz Intell Core 2 Duo
8GB RAM
Mac OS X Server 10.8.2 ( no services running)
Latest version of Java 6 for the Mac.
Local network Gigabit Ethernet
1 Player
I have allocated 4 GB of RAM to FtB in each instance.

I have a fresh copy of the pack on the client(s)

All I keep getting is..

[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
It takes me 8-10 tries to break a block and after a few minutes the server disconnects me.

My next step is to remove the mods that are not in the Beta pack to see if it is one of them causing the issue.
I have runn out of ideas and hope some of you might have some thoughts.

I have checked the forums for this issue but found no cohesive threads with any cogent answers and none focusing on a Mac server.

Skitch

Jul 29, 2019
Update:
I tired using the Unix renice command to allocate more processor time to the java instance but no change.

I set the server property view distance to 3. No change

The tic rate starts out at .29 then incrementally jumps up to about 52 ish then i get the Can't keep up message and it dumps back down to .29 ish.

Skitch

Jul 29, 2019
java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

The Server and client are separate machines

I will get back to you when I try the fix from the other post. Stand by.

(UPDATE) No change using fix from other thread.

I removed xycraft and Thuamcraft and their config files... No change

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
try launching the server with this
Code:
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx6G -Xms2G -Xmn1G -XX:NewRatio=2
-XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048
-XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc
-XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts
-XX:+UseLargePages -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=1G
-cp server_name_here.jar -jar server_name_here.jar

it may take several minutes to see any change ~5 depending on the computer, mods what you are doing etc

Skitch

Jul 29, 2019
This code is not working for me. Doesn't start the server.

and yes I change "your server name here to my actual server name :p

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
you may need to remove the newlines that I added to make it readable
Also look at the last line, and set the correct .jar name

Skitch

Jul 29, 2019
It just exits with the java command info. Not sure where to look to fix it. I both created a new start command file and modified my orig. with your code. no luck.

Skitch

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh hahaha I am a coding n00b. had to remove carriage returns and replace with spaces to make it work. Just started. will test for a little bit and let you know how it's working

Skitch

Jul 29, 2019
You sir are a Java GOD! lol but seriously, this took care of everything. my server runs like a champ now with not one single "can't keep up" error message. Thank you and your wonderful knowledge.

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
I had the same problem and some other members of this forum helped. I've tweaked it since then. But its mostly the above link

bloodangel_0

Jul 29, 2019
Im utterly clueless when it comes to these .bat files. I've been trying to get this one to work, all day. Is it possible to shed some light on it for me, I don't quite understand the "new line" "carraige returns" and replace with spaces means. Thank you..will be hopefully standing by for a quick holiday reply

edit: I actually figured it out...now to test out to see if things are better
edit2: godlike...all mob and player lag is completely gone

Capncrypto

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I'm new to FTB, and I'm trying to use the code you've posted here, I am having trouble because when i use what you have the prompt comes up and then instantly goes away. After putting pause at the end, it says that none of the stuff is a working path directory etc. . I could use some help because I am having the same issues here.

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
Could you post the text of the error? And make sure all the commands are on the same line.
Ex.
Code:
java /command options here/
pause

If that don't fix it we may need to make sure have is on the system path

Capncrypto

Jul 29, 2019
This is what I have in the .bat file, I'm not very savvy with writing in bat files and not sure what the world is called.

Code:
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx6G -Xms2G -Xmn1G -XX:NewRatio=2
-XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048
-XX:CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc
-XX:UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90
-XX:UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts
-XX:+UseLargePages -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=1G
-cp world.jar -jar direwolf20.jar
pause

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
try
Code:
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx6G -Xms2G -Xmn1G -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048 -XX:CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -XX:UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=1G -cp direwolf20.jar -jar direwolf20.jar
pause

.bat files are white-space sensitive all the commands for java NEED to be on the same line or it cant start
I spaced it out to make it readable

ch_breezy

Jul 29, 2019
try
Code:
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx6G -Xms2G -Xmn1G -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048 -XX:CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -XX:UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=1G -cp direwolf20.jar -jar direwolf20.jar
pause

.bat files are white-space sensitive all the commands for java NEED to be on the same line or it cant start
I spaced it out to make it readable

mine keeps on saying "the file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
I don't get it..

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure that you have the correct file name at the end of the line, it references your.Jar file twice make sure they are Both correct