Mass Effect Inspired Ship - WIP

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently building a base which is inspired by the Normandy-SR2. Due to a few limitations (decorative blocks available in my modpack, building mostly from memory, default texture pack), I have had to take some artistic license. I want it to eventually be a functional base where I will move my machines that I got in survival mode so that has been an important design consideration. I also wanted the interior to be at least similar in layout and reminiscent of the decor from the game. I will admit that my building skills are not that great, and this starts to show when I have built several rooms in a row and I begin to run out of ideas. However, there are some parts of the build which so far, I think are pretty nice, particularly the main battery.

I have been using these mods to provide most of the building blocks.

Thermal Expansion
Applied Energistics - Certus quartz blocks!
Infinitubes
Thaumic Tinkerer
Thaumcraft
Tinker's Construct
Railcraft
Mekanism
Factorization
IC2
ICBM
Steve's Carts
Defense

Some of those mods were only used a tiny bit. Also, I often like to build in creative mode when in the same world as I do my survival playthrough because I can. I am not to bothered about balance but I do have one rule, I don't use the spawned decorative blocks for anything except facades, so I won't be getting an easy galgadorian drill from the enhanced galgadorian blocks I put in Miranda's room.

I played a bit of ME2 today and realised that my build is actually more far removed from the real deal, so I made up my own little backstory for this ship. I am a massive Tali fan, and obviously Tali is a very talented engineer who is impressed by the Normandy. When she returns to Rannoch, the Quarian government commission her to build a flagship for the new Quarian navy and this is what she comes up with. (Afterwards I am going to build a liveship for my farms!).

Here are some pictures of my progress so far.

2013-09-27_22.23.52.png
Here is an overview of my build so far. A bit more has been done since then but this shows the bulk of it.

2013-09-27_22.56.55.png
Here is the battery in a closer view. I have used tesla coils, liquiducts and infinitubes to make it look more machine like. I may lengthen it is the proportions of the ship become more apparent.

2013-09-27_22.57.48.png
The AI core. I plan on putting an ME controller and associated gubbins in here, maybe with a couple of computers. I have built a secret passage that directly connects this room to the cockpit.

2013-09-28_17.23.39.png

This is the life support room is. The only light is provided by liquiducts with redstone and glowstone in them and the tank at the end of the room is a dynamic tank from mekanism filled with crushed ice from forestry. There are redstone filled seared glass tanks on the floor. The other liquiduct has lxp in it.

The main engineering hub. Notice the purple, a not so subtle nod towards my favourite ME character.

2013-10-01_01.33.06.png

This room will be decked with machines when I actually move in. I don't know how it will turn out but hopefully it will be cool.

Here, inside the engineering hub looking towards the drive core.
2013-10-01_16.10.28.png

Stairs down to Jack's lair and the lair itself.

2013-10-01_01.32.46.png

2013-10-01_01.32.28.png

I might put a few cosmetic pipes in there.

I am still having trouble uploading images of the bridge and the crew deck. Check back for details in the future.

Unfortunately, when I upload some pictures I am getting errors. I will try to sort that out and post more in the future as I build more, if people are interested.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
very nice :)
There is more to come. Most of the interior is finished. I just need to finish the loading bay on the lower floor and the drive core room. I am making the lab and armoury smaller too because the scale is a bit off there. Then I will begin work on the shell.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have been working a bit more on my ship. The major structural work on the interior has been completed. I had to make some scale adjustments because I didn't plan this very well. It is the wrong shape for the Normandy, it is shorter and fatter but I hope that it will still look cool once it is finished. Time for talking is over, here are some pictures.

2013-10-02_00.21.42.png
---

2013-10-01_04.58.39.png
Next up is the drive core. It is purely aesthetic although there is probably room for an IC2 nuke in there if I feel like it. I honestly don't know what I think about it though. I wanted it to look interesting which is why I didn't make it out of all the same block. However it looks a bit like a patchwork. I do like the liquiducts and other cables though I think it makes it look like an actual machine. I have had the idea of ripping it out though and replacing it with a forcefield from Calclavia's MFFS perhaps with a bit of other decoration. That might look more interesting and closer to an actual drive core. I then built a huge room to house it in with another room on top that I will put some actual engines in.

2013-10-01_14.48.10.png
The more functional room goes on top of the windowed area. You can see this room through windows in the armoury and in the lab. I have also built in some maintenance corridors. I finished off the hanger bay too.

2013-10-01_01.32.13.png

2013-10-01_01.32.08.png

I am going to try and update the OP with more pictures now. Check it out if you feel like it.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have just update the OP.

Also, does anyone here know about a good written source on Calclavia's MFFS. I have struggled to find information about it but I would like to incorporate that mod heavily in my build.

Also, feel free to suggest a name for my ship because it is not going to be known as the Normandy. I will consider any and all suggestions (unless if it is something really silly :) ).