Map Viewer/Generator Program?

DrewD1998

Jul 29, 2019
I'm aware of various programs that can render a map ( Overviewer, Tectonicus, Etc.), but these programs lack in support for mods. I'm aware of the ability to modify the source code of Overviewer, but that requires much effort and knowledge of the program. Tectonicus also offers the ability to add in mod support by specifying mod-added blocks in a user-created config file. I'm wondering if anyone has ever thought about trying to create their own modified Map Rendering program, or if anyone has every thought about writing a program that could create the needed files for mod support, that could read the block ID's out of the config files.

I realize this would be quite a task but with the community that we have and the already open source nature of the programs, I do fully believe this would be possible.

If this is in the wrong section please forgive me. I could not find a truly appropriate section for it.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't MapViewer good for this?

Not sure about 1.4.7, but it definately works in 1.5.2.

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
Could you give a link to MapViewer? I can't seem to find it by searching Google, the name is too generic.

DrewD1998

Jul 29, 2019
I believe, don't quote me on this now, that map viewer is a live map viewer of sorts.. While I have no problem with those programs, I am looking for a program that would create a static map that would only change when it is re-rendered. Live Viewers work well with servers but for just a simple single-player world a static viewer is much more efficient.

Guess its time to start trying to code a plugin for one of the existing ones...

Jnelso99

Feb 24, 2013
The beta of Minutor supports mods.

And I like having a map auto-update when I'm playing single player. The map will show villages and nether fortresses before I can see them.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
I believe, don't quote me on this now, that map viewer is a live map viewer of sorts.. While I have no problem with those programs, I am looking for a program that would create a static map that would only change when it is re-rendered. Live Viewers work well with servers but for just a simple single-player world a static viewer is much more efficient.

Guess its time to start trying to code a plugin for one of the existing ones...
Couldn't you take a screenshot of the "Live" map to get a static map in whatever format you wanted?

DrewD1998

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't you take a screenshot of the "Live" map to get a static map in whatever format you wanted?

Technically you could. But, many of the mapping programs support a zoom and rotation functionanlity. By taking a screenshot this would be lost.

The beta of Minutor supports mods.

And I like having a map auto-update when I'm playing single player. The map will show villages and nether fortresses before I can see them.

Thanks, Ill give that a try. Having the map update is a brilliant idea. I just don't like the idea of having to set it up in a server and always have the server running to see the map.