Making new server any tips what to do or not do?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mjacobinc

Jul 29, 2019
Hello so im making new server for FTB but i was wondering what it definitely should have and things i shouldn't do for server and also what modpack would most of you people love to play on.. Would like to collect some ideas that could help other server owners aswell for some tips and tricks..

Thank you very much for any help and happy Easters!

Reactions: RealSketch

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Put a limit on chunk loaders and use of build craft quarries. Encourage low lag builds. Install Opis on the server and your client as it will show sources of lag. As for pack choice, if your server can handle it, I suggest Monster since it has the biggest selection of mods.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the long list:
- Be reasonable, no - "Oh, I hate you from the forums!; bugger off!"

- Make the server all survival, the only creative servers that are liked are the ones with minigames; having some people creative and some survival is just mad! Plus, surviving and working with everyone on a server is fun and really good teamwork! ;)

- Learn what each member likes and doesn't like; or in other words -Know your members; say hello and talk about stuff.

- No cheating, creative mode,

- Allow small raids and big pranks on survival servers, sticking to guidelines all the time is no fun!

- Only allow members with a very good understanding of mods and minecraft itself, also must be good at designing! Don't allow clingy or annoying people to be members.

- Make sure everyone is happy, reasonably rich and enjoying themselves.

- Be kind to new members, non rich members and those who have had recent raids/pranks etc.

Joke:
If possible:
Learn to fly!

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Sacrifice newbs to the Ender Gods every dawn.

You can build a proper temple in which to do this.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, there is a long list of things you shouldn't allow on a server, if it is public.

If you are making a private server, where the members understand that raping the map with quarries, using OP items/mods for infinite exploit, etc. tends to ruin the multiplayer, perhaps even the single player experience, then it should be fine.

Look up a server of similar type to yours, and see what they have implemented. Those are your better resources and a stronger research tool.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
I hate when servers say "no banned items" then force you to pay $60 to use half the items
i once saw a server that said "to use a quarry donate 10 bucks."
sloth-no.gif

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
i once saw a server that said "to use a quarry donate 10 bucks."
sloth-no.gif
xD!
But seriously, that is extremely stupid for a rule!
Donation should be optional and should be an "Act of Random Kindness", or ARK. This relates to Noah and his ark, his random act of kindness towards the animals and following God.
Yes, I am religious, and I'm proud. :)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I am ok if donating is rewarded with free items, NOT allowing usage if an item. I already soent $20 on minecraft, im not going to spend another $10 on your server when I can find another one and have to spend time and money for electricity and internet

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
That gives me an idea.

When you start out on the server you only have vanilla items available. You can unlock each mod for a nominal donation, say $0.99. Sounds reasonable to me :p

It all adds up hilariously, especially when you consider the 15 or so mods I use for a simple power generation/quarry/itemsorting/storage system.

Get 50 people to donate $14.85 each (for those 15 mods) and you've made $742.50 in donations right there :)

Alternatively you could not be a scab and let people choose to donate instead of holding bits of the pack hostage

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
That gives me an idea.

When you start out on the server you only have vanilla items available. You can unlock each mod for a nominal donation, say $0.99. Sounds reasonable to me :p

It all adds up hilariously, especially when you consider the 15 or so mods I use for a simple power generation/quarry/itemsorting/storage system.

Get 50 people to donate $14.85 each (for those 15 mods) and you've made $742.50 in donations right there :)

Alternatively you could not be a scab and let people choose to donate instead of holding bits of the pack hostage
That would really irritate the mod makers! Plus it isn't really fair.
p = person
m = mods

1p pays £0.99 for 1m.
100m x £0.99 = £99.00

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not even sure it is legal as you charge for a use of mod that it's not your work so unless you have written permission from mod maker I smell law suit. :p

As to real advice set up boundaries of 4k or so nothing worst than people generating milion chunks. Also go in quality over quantity I have seen so many good servers ruind because owner went mad with taking too many people and lag made it unpleable. Also insist on comunify building set up spawn that peple can contribute ang get to know each other. Otherwise you will have 15 people virtualy plsying singleplayer on one server and fighting for resources like nodes etc.

Do not help new players unless the ask. I started on server wanted to climb to greatness from nothing and on day one owner supplied my base with half of machinrs of creative, I left the same day.

edit to above: Are you nuts? How somenr destrying your base makes it fun? There is difference with friendlu prank and with mean grief.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I meant if they break a rule all the time and they keep saying sorry, don't just let them get away with it all the time, do something about it
That is good!
But then again, this varies for different servers.
For a strict creative server, you would be absolutely correct.
For a fun, raiding survival server with team-work, not so much.
When you say don't let them get away with it, I would say for a creative server = ban/kick, then for survival = revenge.