making an auto EXP farm help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
so i was wondering, i wanted to make an auto exp farm by auto killing mobs and storing the EXP in a brain in a jar. but i cant figure out a good way to kill them and get exp. i know using fire will only get drops, and same with falling and drowning. i know turtles can kill them and collect drops as well as the EXP dropping but i know nothing about programming lua, or anything for that matter. anyone got an idea of something i can use instead of turtles?

geoffreak

Jul 29, 2019
1) Create a melee turtle
2) Run the command "edit startup"
3) Type in the following

Code:
while true do
turtle.attack()
end
4) Place the turtle in front of the mobs
5) ???
6) profit

jnads

Jul 29, 2019

With that, you can have the turtle place the loot in a diamond chest. Do note the guy makes a mistake in his code and fixes it at the end.

Just make sure you name the file "startup". Doing so will cause the turtle to run the program again at chunk load.

Normally if the chunk unloads, the turtle will stop executing.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
ok maybe i should just learn turtles, because this is effective =p.
anyone got any tips on where to start learning?

DVeagle74

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki has a good list of basics and the various commands. Also Direwolf20 did a series of computercraft tutorials, so those help too. Also if you have problems with a specific piece of code you can post on the forums too.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
kk thanks for all the help computer craft is one of the few mods i dont really use =p

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
Read up on the turtle API, as it gives you the commands you can use most easily. Also, read up on this: http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/ , specifically control structures, for statement, and logical operators. These are the pieces that will tie all your turtle api commands together.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Be really carefull, a single turtle can't kill fast enough for a Tier 5 shard spawner.

Also, you might want to have a system to void the rare drops you don't need (bows clutter chests really fast and have very little use).

DVeagle74

Jul 29, 2019
Speed shouldn't be a problem. Even a tier 5 will only keep 12 loaded at once, and it will do a check every 2 seconds and respawn as necessary. So you don't have to worry about a ton of them spawning and running all over the place.

I tested this with a wither skull farm, so no problems. But I do suggest multiple turtles to make it faster.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
one problem im having how do i get them to eject all the drops they collect to i can scrap em? or can they interact with pipes or tubes or somthing?

bdew

Jul 29, 2019
I have in one of my worlds a turtle based farm with multiple tier 5 soul shards dropping mobs into a big mystcraft portal which teleports them into a 1x1 shaft to a 18 meter drop (so they low hp left) then 4 turtles at the bottom around the shaft killing them and collecting the drops with filters+timer underneath them to suck everything into my sorting system. There's also a transposer in the tile the mobs land on, so if the turtles don't pick something up it gets sucked in anyway.

For now i use skelleton and zombie shards (because they are easy to get, thanks TC3) but my spider shard is almost tier 5 so i'll add them soon too, not sure how well will it work with a 1x1 shaft (will the spiders suffocate?) and thinking about making a blaze one too (gravity doesn't work on them i think, so i'll have to do it somehow differently).

You can use relays instead and have the turtles output the loot directly, but it seems to slow down the killing process (there's a forced sleep when moving items or something like that).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Put a chest behind the turtle, and put an item into each of the turtles inventory slots (such as a stick). The turtle will still pickup the drops, and pass them automatically into the chest behind it. No need to program the turtle to check if it's inventory is full and dump it into a chest.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
What's the spawn range of a soul cage? Is it the same as a vanilla spawner (ie: 8x3x8)?