Magma crucible/general help

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Good afternoon all, started using FTB/Mindcrack a few days ago and have run into trouble. Specifically with the thermal expansion part I think.

What I have at the moment is a 2000 bucket tank, 2 magma crucibles and 2 magmatic motors. It works well enough but I want to be able to do is feed lava back from the tank to the motors automatically. And in an ideal world, supply the crucibles with nether wrack from a chest, also without my input. I have played with various pipes but can't get the motors to draw lava as needed.

Thanks in advance for any help, a link to a good guide on plumbing things together would be awesome as well!

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, you should just be able to hook it up on the bottom or the back of an engine. You will need with a wooden pipe with a redstone engine or a liquiduct with a redstone torch to pull it out of the tank I believe.

For the NetherRack directly into the crucible - what about a relay or sorting?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Run a pipe (Stone Waterproof, Gold Waterproof, or a Liquiduct) from an orange (output) side of the Magma Crucible to your engines. You can use a Redpower filter next to the chest with a timer to automatically try to pull some Netherrack out of the chest and insert it into the blue (input) side of the Crucible.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
If you place a liquiduct (made from hardened glass from the induction smelter) on the tank and hit it with a Cresent hammer or an omni-wrench, it'll show an output arrow. Now simply apply a redstone signal (lever works well) and it will pump automatically from the tank and fill the liquiduct. Now run the ducts to the back of your engines and it's a done deal.

Otherwise you could run buildcraft waterproof pipes (require waterproofing from cactus or bees). These require a redstone engine on the output wooden pipe next to the tank. This takes up more room and resources, but if you don't have any obsidian or lead to make hardened glass then it's your only alternative.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
OK, lava supply side sorted Thanks! Just the Nether now. The filter has 9 spaces and a little coloured switch in the bottom right of the display, what should I do with this? (can't get it to feed the input pipe (feeding 3 crucibles).

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
There are some oddities with RP2 tubes and TE machines, you either need to use Filter->Relay->Crucible with the crucible set to blue on the side the relay is on or use a hopper from BC on the top once again set to blue with the tube from the filter going to it or play around with where the input ends up with Filter->tube-> Crucible connected and the Crucible set to colorless on the side the tube is connected. The 9 slots are to Filter items if you use the filter to allow certain items to pass through from a pipe network in this case it is not required and the little color switch is to tag items with a certain color when you use the filter as a method of sorting, once again not required in this case.
The filter also needs a redstone pulse to pull items from an attached inventory, in this case you can set it to pull an amount specified by putting that amount in the slots inside, so if you want it to pull 32\pulse you put 32 of the item in one of the slots, be aware that if you use the tube methods above you will likely end up with a lot of items shuttling back and forth between the Filter and whichever inventory is at the other end if you have more production than there is space for items in the target inventory, to avoid this Filter->Relay->Crucible is the best bet.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
There are some oddities with RP2 tubes and TE machines, you either need to use Filter->Relay->Crucible with the crucible set to blue on the side the relay is on or use a hopper from BC on the top once again set to blue with the tube from the filter going to it or play around with where the input ends up with Filter->tube-> Crucible connected and the Crucible set to colorless on the side the tube is connected. The 9 slots are to Filter items if you use the filter to allow certain items to pass through from a pipe network in this case it is not required and the little color switch is to tag items with a certain color when you use the filter as a method of sorting, once again not required in this case.
The filter also needs a redstone pulse to pull items from an attached inventory, in this case you can set it to pull an amount specified by putting that amount in the slots inside, so if you want it to pull 32\pulse you put 32 of the item in one of the slots, be aware that if you use the tube methods above you will likely end up with a lot of items shuttling back and forth between the Filter and whichever inventory is at the other end if you have more production than there is space for items in the target inventory, to avoid this Filter->Relay->Crucible is the best bet.

Blue works as a general access inventory, it just happens to be general access to the input slot. Treat it no differently than you would treat anything else with RP. Tubes will connect and they will insert - it's just a question of how you get said item into that tube. A filter + relay is not necessary at all. Filter + tube definitely works, and I believe a Filter works directly.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Blue works as a general access inventory, it just happens to be general access to the input slot. Treat it no differently than you would treat anything else with RP. Tubes will connect and they will insert - it's just a question of how you get said item into that tube. A filter + relay is not necessary at all. Filter + tube definitely works, and I believe a Filter works directly.
Odd I couldn't get a straight tube to put anything in on a blue side only on colorless and then it was weird used to put it in odd spots, Liquid Transposer w/cells to actually get it to put them in the input instead of stuffing them in the output slot, I had to use a relay (on a blue side) instead of direct tube connection, ah well I must have been stuffing something up thanks for the clarification.
The filter part was to pull the items from the input inventory which in this case I would imagine would be an Enderchest to a quarry(or other mass mining method) in the Nether.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Thanks again for the replies so far, attached below is an indication of my power set-up so far (out in the garden, too big to be in my workshop!). The filter will output to the wooden pipe in accordance with the filter/timer settings, great so far, but the netherrack is ejected into the scenery where it joins the iron pipe.

If I just use iron pipe it won't properly join the filter, and wooden pipe doesn't seem to join together properly. If I try to use all wood, I just get single squares. The inputs on the crucibles are set correctly to feed from the top.

My apologies for labouring this point, I'm clearly missing something somewhere...

mcpower_zps7be0b5bb.jpg

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
Iron pipes are pipes that restrict the direction items can by only outputing on one side. You need to hit your iron pipes with a BC wrench or omni tool one until the clear side is the direction you want your items to go. In your current set up the iron pipe next to your wood pipe has its sides solid, indicating a input only points for the iron pipe.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
I have changed those around, (all the ones in the tube) still no good, it just ejects the netherrack onto the floor...

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know how I missed this, but red power 2 machines, such as the filter, will not output to buildcraft pipes. They will however out put to red power tubes. I hate to tell you this, but your gonna have to either change the entry point for your nether rack or swap out all your piping for tubes.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Got it sorted! Chest outputting straight to a wooden pipe powered by a redstone engine, then to cobblestone pipe to the inputs. It works!

Thanks everyone for the help.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Wooden pipes have to be powered by either an engine that produces BC power or an Autarchic gate to extract the items from the attached inventory. Currently the Filter is just spitting the items into the world since it cannot place items into BC pipes at all (it just looks like it is being put into the wooden pipe) so in this setup either remove the Filter and add an engine (Redstone Engine is designed for this use)\Gate or replace all the BC pipes with RP2 tubes.

Edit: bugger took too long lol

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
lol, no problem wtf, I have further problems with which to tax you/others! The problem is now one of oversupply. Once the crucibles hit 64 netherrack, yet again they start spraying them into the scenery. Am I asking too much for some kind of monitoring or regulation system (It's not too much of a hardship to switch it myself every hour or so I guess, lol). Nearly there!

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can forgo the buildcraft stuff and swap to just RP2. What you could do is either use a relay by itself as a chest that would send out netherrack when it is needed or you could attach a transposer/filter to the iron chest and when none of the machines need netherrack it will temporarily clog until a machine needs it. With just the filter/transposer you'd need a timer like what you have in the pic, while with the relay you can drop the items directly into it, though it only has 9 slots.

The other option would be to use the BC pipes to form a giant loop, but this can cause entity lag. What you would do is have a single line of pipes heading out from your chest, passing by each magma crucible, and then going back into the chest without any of the pipes crossing. Doing this would ensure the items can only go forward through the network and at the end it'll get put back into the chest to restart its journey.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Option 2 could work, as the 3 sets of 2 crucibles are fed with their own chest anyway, I can just drop a return straight down from the top crucible, didn't know that was possible! Thanks again, at work now, but I'll try it this evening.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a picture of a simple loop:
GPhzU1y.jpg

I left out the gate, but this is a wooden pipe feeding into stone piping. At the end the stone pipe connects to sandstone pipe, which allows it to connect to cobblestone pipe which doesn't connect to stone piping. This allows for a compact loop. The reason for the arch upwards at the end is so the cobblestone pipe doesn't connect to the wooden pipe. Sadly, you can't do this compact of a loop with facades and covers. You can replace the sandstone pipe with one of the other types, but it's fairly cheap and the other pipes wouldn't really help all that much (gold would speed it up slightly, but you really need a large chain of those now).

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Yes, that should work perfectly thank you, as I said I'll give it a try after work. Now I have a system that works I can mess about a bit with the various pipes to see what works with what.

I would still like a decent guide though, if such a thing exists. Everything I've seen so far misses out detail like the types of pipe, why I need a wood bit on the end (does this apply to the return as well?) Etc.

Progress is good though, I have a working system. FTB is quite a steep learning curve from vanilla minecraft!

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
For feeding the netherrack I'd probably have gone for hoppers to start off with, not "automated" as such but provides a good simple buffer to start off with.