Looting enchantment woes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I have enchanted 2 double chests FULL of books and not 1 looting enchant...I'm going NUTZZZZ

Can you not put a looting enchant on a dang book!?

Or are they really just that rare..

Or Do I just have really sh*t luck?

Thanks.

(Btw I need it for some dang ender pearls to get to the end to get more ender pearls)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
enchanting books sucks imo...
yay spending 1000 levels and I finally get the right enchantments to put on my pick that I could have done in 30 if I got marginally lucky.

Reactions: Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Or Do I just have really sh*t luck?

I believe this is the issue. I've seen looting 2 on a book before (at least, I think it was looting two).

This is one of the main reasons that I use Enchanting Plus. The vanilla enchanting system is horribly grindish.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
it's disgustingly crappy.

At least books make it able to be automated, with the help of a friendly XP turtle or fifteen.

But nothing beats spending your levels to enchant exactly what you want. Although there is no real balance point such as "make it ten times more costly to enchant things" because it isn't all that hard to gain XP through T5 grinders.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
At least books make it able to be automated, with the help of a friendly XP turtle or fifteen.

But nothing beats spending your levels to enchant exactly what you want. Although there is no real balance point such as "make it ten times more costly to enchant things" because it isn't all that hard to gain XP through T5 grinders.
I got lucky on my latest world. my first 30 levels spent on my first diamond pickaxe and I got E3, U4, F3. Rather pleased with that. If I'd spent those 30 on a book I'd likely get fire prot 1 or some shit like that.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I got lucky on my latest world. my first 30 levels spent on my first diamond pickaxe and I got E3, U4, F3. Rather pleased with that. If I'd spent those 30 on a book I'd likely get fire prot 1 or some shit like that.

Nah, vorpal three for sure.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually using a Xpturtle to automate enchanting books but with the whole thing of mobs despawning if a player is not withing 128 blocks I have to fricken stand there with my thumb up my as* for an hour while I wait for some books to be enchanted.

I'm really aggravated atm I just want a dang sword for endermen ... argh....

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Books have the worst possible enchantability in game (along with bows). This means that it is very unlikely to get a "good" enchantment on a book. Unless you can basically automate enchanting books, you will probably be better off enchanting the items themselves if you're only after "any looting sword". You will go through a couple swords, but the chance of getting a looting enchant is much higher. Then use books to add utility enchantments, such as sharpness or efficiency.

Chance of getting Looting III on a diamond sword: 10.3%
On a book: 0.7%

Silk Touch I on a diamond pick: 10.1%
Book: 0.9%

(I don't know the enchantability values of thaumium and magical items.)

References:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchantment_Mechanics
http://www.minecraftenchantmentcalculator.com/

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I'm convinced (although I have no proof) that enchanting books gives you way fewer good enchants. What i do when I want something like that is make a bunch of gold swords and just start enchanting those instead of the books. You've got a much better chance of getting looting on it. If you ONLY use it on endermen you should get plenty of ender pearls to get to the stronghold and fill in the portal before it wears out. Plus with the anvil it's nice that now you can repair it and even stack other good enchants on it so it could last longer than just the normal amount of uses.

Thaumium is supposed to be as enchantable as gold but last longer so maybe thats the way to go in FTB. I really dont like enchanting books though. They're nearly crap.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
Thats it time to make 10,000 saphire swords! j/k but ya I like the idea or just enchanting the item then adding whatever else with a book. I'm going to try that now

Well really what else can I use the stacks of gems I have for.. guess I will make a few swords

I was just trying to use books to get the perfect endermen slaying courupted sowrd with soul stealer and looting and disjunction and unbreaking

Reactions: BeastFeeder

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Ruby swords might be worth a look. I dont know what the enchantability of it is, but with 20 levels on my first attempt I got a pick with Fortune II, Unbreaking II, and EfficiencyIII. It might have a high enchantability.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I have an XP turtle enchanting books for me at the moment. Some interesting patterns are emerging as I sort through the books it gives me...for some reason, I get unbelievable amounts of Projectile Protection IV. More than twice as many of them as the next most common enchant, which is a tie between Sharpness III and Vorpal II. Mining tool enchants are pretty rare; out of maybe 240 books, I've gotten one Fortune II, three Unbreaking IIIs, and about 10 Efficiency IIIs. No Silk Touch yet, which is the main thing I want. Thaumcraft enchants are only slightly more common than mining tool enchants, and almost all of them are Frugal III. I've seen Looting II only twice, so barring dumb luck, it's nearly as rare as Fortune II.

If you're looking for ender pearls, I'd recommend running around a wasteland biome at night. They're very flat and wide open, and make ideal hunting grounds. I can usually get 4 or so ender pearls per night this way. Definitely much quicker than enchanting books for looting!

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
I recently spent 3 or so hours enchanting books to get a Fortune.

I filled 2 diamond chests full, and what i saw most was Looting.

In the end.. I got ONE fortune 2... Instead of the 3 i had been after.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
Well, enchanting was ment to be a bit hard, but getting useless enchants apcan be extremely frustrating. If you remove enchantments from tools so you can enchant tools.

Iths

Jul 29, 2019
Use a uncrafting table to take apart the tool if u got a bad encahnt then just craft it again and enchant once more much moe chance for good enchants then perfect it with books

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Try enchanting at level 18. Remove(or obstruct) some of your bookcases, so that 18 is the max to make things quicker.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Try enchanting at level 18. Remove(or obstruct) some of your bookcases, so that 18 is the max to make things quicker.

This man speaks the truth.

Many enchantments have sweet spots where they are more common.

As aside I don't have issues with using books. I just keep my unwanted ones for use in Thaumcraft for there aspects.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
If you guys want very good sword enchants, I'd look to the Vile Sword, it has about the same Durability and Enchantability as the Thaumium one and you can get Soul Stealer. The only problem is that you can't get Repair :/.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
This man speaks the truth.

Many enchantments have sweet spots where they are more common.

As aside I don't have issues with using books. I just keep my unwanted ones for use in Thaumcraft for there aspects.
Yesmsirm they do, and to figure that I out, you need the power of probability!