looking for a harder modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Christley

Jul 29, 2019
[STILL LOOKING FOR A MODPACK!]

good afternoon everyone. im currently in the need for a harder modpack. recently finished crash landing and i loved it since it was hard to get by.

what i want in the modpack:
1. harder gameplay. in some modpacks you can make the end game things after 2 days. in crash landing it took me 4 weeks. which means either harder to find things to build with or harder crafting recipes.
2. more exploration than vanilla minecraft. and ive run through twilight forest so many times its not even fun anymore. i want a reason to venture outside of my base
3. more mobs/harder mobs than regular modpacks/vanilla. crash landing did this really well.
4. cosmetic blocks like chisel and carpentry would be amazing. i wont play on a modpack which doesnt have microblocks.
5. atleast minecraft 1.6.4, but preferbly 1.7
6. must contain applied energistics

what i preferbly want but isnt a dealbreaker if its not in the pack:
1. ex nihlo. that mod is amazing
2. roguelike dungeons

what i preferbly dont want:
1. more recipes to craft the same thing. industrialcraft does this really well with adding 40 steps to craft a single thing. crash landing was on the edge on too much crafting.
2. thirst, the camel pack is just too small and too annoying to use. isnt a dealbreaker but i really dont want it

it doesnt matter which modpack it is or launcher its on. i can deal with atlauncher or ftb launcher or whatever it is. i can also deal with private packs. as long as i can have a server with it.
do anyone of you know any modpack which could suit my needs? and the sky thing with hardcore quests is pretty much the same as crash landing. so dont suggest it

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
good afternoon everyone. im currently in the need for a harder modpack. recently finished crash landing and i loved it since it was hard to get by.

1. harder gameplay. in some modpacks you can make the end game things after 2 days. in crash landing it took me 4 weeks. which means either harder to find things to build with or harder crafting recipes.
2. more exploration than vanilla minecraft. and ive run through twilight forest so many times its not even fun anymore. i want a reason to venture outside of my base
3. more mobs/harder mobs than regular modpacks/vanilla. crash landing did this really well.
4. cosmetic blocks like chisel and carpentry would be amazing. i wont play on a modpack which doesnt have microblocks.

1. more recipes to craft the same thing. industrialcraft does this really well with adding 40 steps to craft a single thing. crash landing was on the edge on too much crafting.
2. thirst, the camel pack is just too small and too annoying to use. isnt a dealbreaker but i really dont want it

it doesnt matter which modpack it is or launcher its on. i can deal with atlauncher or ftb launcher or whatever it is. i can also deal with private packs. as long as i can have a server with it.
do anyone of you know any modpack which could suit my needs? and the sky thing with hardcore quests is pretty much the same as crash landing. so dont suggest it

Do you despise GregTech? If not, InfiTech2 (in the third party modpacks) is an extremely well-tailored pack.

For your criteria:
==========================
You will not get through even a fraction of the game in 2 days.

exploration extremely required in order to locate the mines/veins you'll need, and ideally to take advantage of villages/chests

wither cats. Fuck wither cats. Also has ender minies and some other stuff, but not up to Crash Landing scale (wouldn't be appropriate for this pack)

Has chisel and carpentry

is 1.7

Has AE2

Woops. Nope. (Wouldn't fit)

Not 100% sure what you mean. But the recipes have been tweaked to hell and back. It may suit you or it may not.

No camel packs, and no thirst.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You could try my Omega Dawn pack. It's designed to be harder, with slightly more difficult crafting recipes and resource shortages while avoiding tedium. It does have hunger and thirst, but I pretty much only have a drink every 5 minutes or so (depending on what I'm doing), it's tech with a hint of magic (includes Mekansim, TE, MFR, Ender IO, Railcraft, GalacticCraft for tech, with Thaumcraft and Botania for magic). Landscape contains a mix of ruins to explore, along with small and large dungeons.

You start out scavenging, then get a food supply established, then start mining short distances, and progress through to whatever goals you want. Everything you build should feel like an achievement.

My first night consisted of hiding in a dirt shack in the dark, with frostbite in my hands. Took me 3 MC days to get rid of that frostbite. I've had a creeper blow up my starter Magical Crops/Botania area (which was a big setback, as all magical crops plants have to be crafted in some way) followed by a Wither Witch forcing me to abandon that farm for a few days, as well as trap me in my house. Luckily I found a safari net so was able to ninja capture her.

Modlist: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46396473/OmegaDawn/OmegaDawn Mod List.htm

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You could try my Omega Dawn pack. It's designed to be harder, with slightly more difficult crafting recipes and resource shortages while avoiding tedium. It does have hunger and thirst, but I pretty much only have a drink every 5 minutes or so (depending on what I'm doing), it's tech with a hint of magic (includes Mekansim, TE, MFR, Ender IO, Railcraft, GalacticCraft for tech, with Thaumcraft and Botania for magic). Landscape contains a mix of ruins to explore, along with small and large dungeons.

You start out scavenging, then get a food supply established, then start mining short distances, and progress through to whatever goals you want. Everything you build should feel like an achievement.

My first night consisted of hiding in a dirt shack in the dark, with frostbite in my hands. Took me 3 MC days to get rid of that frostbite. I've had a creeper blow up my starter Magical Crops/Botania area (which was a big setback, as all magical crops plants have to be crafted in some way) followed by a Wither Witch forcing me to abandon that farm for a few days, as well as trap me in my house. Luckily I found a safari net so was able to ninja capture her.

Modlist: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46396473/OmegaDawn/OmegaDawn Mod List.htm
If I ever get around to learning Mek, this seems like a fun mod to start with :)

Golrith, is your mod list up to date? There's a brutal exploit in PneumaticCraft that lets you get basically unlimited eu (like 450k per coal or some such) which was fixed in more recent versions.

Christley

Jul 29, 2019
Do you despise GregTech? If not, InfiTech2 (in the third party modpacks) is an extremely well-tailored pack.

For your criteria:
==========================

Not 100% sure what you mean. But the recipes have been tweaked to hell and back. It may suit you or it may not.

what i mean by this is crafting is terrible in some mods. you have to craft one stonepoint to craft a handlebar to craft a lenghty fishing rod to craft a good dispenser to craft a green dropper etc.
you get the point.

i will look into these mods posted so far. the first one seem more interesting though. omega dawn sounds like something which could be fun. but it sounds more like exploration than tech. i like tech over exploration, but both are important. also, mekanism makes the game very easy very fast. so ill try to avoid it if i can

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
what i mean by this is crafting is terrible for my tastes in some mods. you have to craft one stonepoint to craft a handlebar to craft a lenghty fishing rod to craft a good dispenser to craft a green dropper etc.
you get the point.

Fixed that for you :)

Avoid GregTech. I'm surprised you tolerated IC2 in fact, but GregTech definitely does exactly what you don't want.

I personally love that stuff, but because I enjoy the challenge of automating things. Setting up a factor where a block of iron is chiseled into rods and buttons and screws and such and manufactored into a left-handed window crank. Which goes into the next assembly line, etc. You'd probably hate it :)

Reactions: MigukNamja

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
If I ever get around to learning Mek, this seems like a fun mod to start with :)

Golrith, is your mod list up to date? There's a brutal exploit in PneumaticCraft that lets you get basically unlimited eu (like 450k per coal or some such) which was fixed in more recent versions.
what i mean by this is crafting is terrible in some mods. you have to craft one stonepoint to craft a handlebar to craft a lenghty fishing rod to craft a good dispenser to craft a green dropper etc.
you get the point.

i will look into these mods posted so far. the first one seem more interesting though. omega dawn sounds like something which could be fun. but it sounds more like exploration than tech. i like tech over exploration, but both are important. also, mekanism makes the game very easy very fast. so ill try to avoid it if i can
Most tech in Omega Dawn requires Steel, so first challenge is to get steel produced. Depending on the mods you use, the next challenge after steel is building circuits which are a vital component of many machines. There are different recipes of different resource efficiencies to choose from. Taken me a gameplay week to get just a basic machine setup running, and I'm out of resources again :p

Wasn't aware of any exploits in PneumaticCraft, the pack is fairly up to date on the mods (in fact, just waiting for an updated version to be approved on FTB launcher). PC is so heavy on Iron, that's a mid/late game build in OmegaDawn. I'll check that I'm using latest version, thanks for heads up.

Christley

Jul 29, 2019
Most tech in Omega Dawn requires Steel, so first challenge is to get steel produced. Depending on the mods you use, the next challenge after steel is building circuits which are a vital component of many machines. There are different recipes of different resource efficiencies to choose from. Taken me a gameplay week to get just a basic machine setup running, and I'm out of resources again :p

Wasn't aware of any exploits in PneumaticCraft, the pack is fairly up to date on the mods (in fact, just waiting for an updated version to be approved on FTB launcher). PC is so heavy on Iron, that's a mid/late game build in OmegaDawn. I'll check that I'm using latest version, thanks for heads up.
so, i was checking out your modpack, but it doesnt provide server files. how do i get them? i dont wish to play alone or in LAN

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
so, i was checking out your modpack, but it doesnt provide server files. how do i get them? i dont wish to play alone or in LAN
Err, should be just like any other pack (no instructions from FTB team (that I remember) for a special server version, so there might be a part of the 3rd party mod pack process I've missed...).
Get a vanilla MC server up and running that is using Forge. Then copy all the mods/configs/scripts onto server, and restart. Using Biomes O Plenty for World Type, and Hard difficulty.
That's how I ran a server for a while for OmegaDawn back in 1.4 through to 1.6 when it was just a private thing.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com

Alright, I have a suggestion. Running Red 2: Vampire Money. (#shamelessplug)

Harder Gameplay: The pack is based around combat, and it's very difficult to survive for very long. As well, you can only obtain ores by killing creatures, so it will be harder to get most anything. As well, you can only regenerate health by "drinking the blood" of other mobs. There are several other things that make it harder to survive as well, such as Sanity or Hardcore Darkness.
More Exploration: As the pack is based around combat instead of mining, you'll have to venture out far in order to find all the creatures you need to support the creation of objects and the sustenance of your health. Going underground is an adventure in itself, as the darkness makes things rather hard to see, and it's akin to a huge dungeon - tons of enemies and traps, but large amounts of chests filled with goodies as well.
More Mobs: In order to spice up the combat, there are plenty of mobs added to the game, and there are several combat mods like Mine & Blade: Battlegear which exist solely to help you fight off these things. As well, various Vampires and Heroes (powered-up versions of regular creatures) spawn as well, and both of which are out to get you.
Cosmetic Blocks: Both Carpenter's Blocks and Chisel are in the pack, as well as some fancy gravestones which you can create. <3
1.7: 1.7.10.
Applied Energistics: Yeap. It's also got EnderIO for added integration with AE2 (the ME cables).

Ex Nihilo: Yeah, nope. Doesn't fit in the pack. However, I personally find it much more entertaining to kill people to obtain resources!

Excessive Crafting: You don't have to worry about that. Although some mods have been tweaked slightly to support the hardcore fashion, there's not going to be too many steps to get an item
Thirst: Don't worry, there's none of that.

You can get it with the code vampire, or you can download the next version early on the GitHub (download zip button). A server version is available for each.

Reactions: Pyure

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
@Pyure Just checked, and yeah, seems I'm out of date on my PC version. Thanks for the heads up there.

@Gideonseymour How do you go about submitting a Server version? Just checked all the 3rd party instructions. No mention anywhere (that I can see) about server versions.

Reactions: Pyure

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
@Gideonseymour How do you go about submitting a Server version? Just checked all the 3rd party instructions. No mention anywhere (that I can see) about server versions.
Under the client field. F'rinstance, here's the filled-out current version of RR2:
Pack Name:
Running Red 2: Vampire Money

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gm2txgf1z8rtymj/RR2VM - LRC2.zip?dl=0

Server Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjoexyo4p0r08uo/RR2VM - SLRC1 - 2.zip?dl=0

Pack Type:
Unlisted Public Modpack

Description:
"A boy and a therapist. A vampire and a world. Two stories, told simultaneously. With an ending up to you."

This is a modpack full of terror. In a hardcore gameplay style, focused around combat, you'll be forced to flee from the terrors of the night, armed with only your wits and growing Vampire powers. Keep your sanity close, and your torch even closer, as you descend into this darkness, and, with much luck, find your way out.

Pack Version:

Pack Code:
vampire

Minecraft Version:

Forge Version:

Author:
Gideonseymour

Non-open spreadsheet mods:
Hardcore Questing Mode, http://i.imgur.com/78fgoOb.png
Witchery, http://i.imgur.com/bk36NYq.png

Other mods:
BloodUtils, Wasliebob, http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/224425-blood-utils
Sanguimancy, Tombenpotter, http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/223722-sanguimancy
CharacterOnGUI, samhalo007, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...876-3500-downloads-character-on-gui-show-your
CreepersFire, Strikingwolf, http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/224543-creepers-fire
GraveStones, NightKosh, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum.../minecraft-mods/1288082-gravestone-mod-v2-9-7
MobDrops, Strikingwolf, No Link, http://i.imgur.com/QSROwNA.png
OresPlus, TheTorbinWren, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...726-oresplus-0-7-3-41b-minecraft-ore-resource
Vampire Money Custom Mod, Lumaceon & Strikingwolf, No Link, http://i.imgur.com/QSROwNA.png
WaslieCore, Wasliebob, http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/224425-blood-utils
Lore Expansion, CyanideX & dmillerw, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2091967-lore-expansion-1-7-x
Blood Arsenal, Arcaratus, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-mods/2231288-blood-magic-addon-blood-arsenal
GenCreator, Vazkii, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...creator-create-worldgen-structures-inside-the

Christley

Jul 29, 2019
Fixed that for you :)

Avoid GregTech. I'm surprised you tolerated IC2 in fact, but GregTech definitely does exactly what you don't want.

I personally love that stuff, but because I enjoy the challenge of automating things. Setting up a factor where a block of iron is chiseled into rods and buttons and screws and such and manufactored into a left-handed window crank. Which goes into the next assembly line, etc. You'd probably hate it :)

i survived gregtech and ic2 before ic2 got all those new crafting recipes and machines like 2 years ago. and before gregtech decided to be the only mod to be allowed so it started disabling other mods.
i would just automate it using ae, which is just a hassle. i prefer automation in machines. not that i have to add a unneeded machine to do a thing. for example, pulverizer isnt necessary. its a good to have though which is why i use it. same with redstone furnace. however, pneumaticcraft (for machine frames in crash landing) and bending machines in ic2 is shit because its only there to add another step to the crafting

Christley

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure Just checked, and yeah, seems I'm out of date on my PC version. Thanks for the heads up there.

when you manage to get a server up for download. msg me here or in this thread and ill download it

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
however, pneumaticcraft (for machine frames in crash landing) and bending machines in ic2 is shit for my style of play because its only there to add another step to the crafting
Fixed that for you (again) :)

The plate bender is an excellent & positive addition to GT for my style of play because it facilitates more tiering and creates interesting resource deployment dilemmas.

A pleasure sir.

Just fyi: if i recall correctly, the flux compressor doesn't consume its RF properly when its running with lots of speed upgrades. So even though it should be choking for lack of RF, instead it outputs full compressed air (which can then be converted into energy or other uses). I mentioned this to MineMaarten who said it was already fixed (my version was also out of date) and that it actually applied to more than just the RF compressor.

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
It's not an FTB Pack at all, but is pretty hard : Better Than Wolves !

Definitely hard, basic setup requires days to get
If you die, you will respawn randomly 1000 blocks away from your actual spawn point, so I guess it promotes exploration in some way
Mobs do hit hard, and they will also kill peaceful life forms near you
Maybe not the key feature of BTW...
Sadly only 1.5.2, and the dev said once he would not update to further versions of MC
Not a FTB pack, so AE not included

See 6

Recipes are difficult, but without too many steps like IC2
No thirst, but hunger will be hard to keep (also, eating too much makes you fat)

I do realize that half of your conditions are not met, but I think this mod is worth mentioning in the hardcore category.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019

I'm working to finish up the work on AdventurePack this week. The focus was on a much harder modpack, with a bit less high end tech (so no IC2 or Gregtech), more exploring, and lots of death in interesting ways. It will be hosted on the lolnet servers. (lolnet.co.nz) Website is https://lolnet.co.nz/ You can log into the lobby and go to the server from there. You can get the modpack off of the FTB Launcher with packcode of Adventurepack. An early version of it is up there now, but not the finished version. Adding more mods, changing up some worldgen etc.

As to your questions:
1. Much harder gameplay, just shy of bnb level. No weight restrictions for instance. Lots of nasty mobs, using several of Father Toast's mods. Tinkers tools, no vanilla tools. Hunger Overhaul, spice of life, enviormine, weather2, etc to make your life hell. You will die from landslides, tornadoes, quicker drowning, and earthquakes. Thirst is in, sorry about that, we went with the full array of tools from enviormine, including physics.
2. You'll need to explore. Some things are tougher to get, and you'll want to go delving into Roguelike Dungeons, and all sorts of things from Ruins. I'm working now on adding a lot more ruins than the basic ones, and having them spawn in all biomes. Trickier, since we are using Highlands, and it has a lot of biomes :) And you'll need to venture into various dimensions to get all you need to progress: Nether of course, the dream realm from witchery, the new thaumcraft dimension of Xth'outh, the Deep Dark, twilight forest, and finally the End. Twilight has a lot more to it now, with a progressive system of bosses leasing to the Thornlands and Giants. And villages, you'll want to find villages. Some are floating in the sky, some are massive in size, and all have interesting interactive villagers curtesy of Minecraft comes alive. I
3. If you liked crashlanding, you'll like the mob count in this one :) First night is really bad.
4.I like building. Yes on Chisel and Carpenters blocks and Microblocks.
5. 1.7.10
6. Has AE, however, you'll have to work hard to get up to it.