Looking for a good teleporting system...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm thinking of which teleporting system I'm going to implement on a permanent basis. There are several I know, but none is perfect. I'd like to know if there are others, and how those I know of rate against my requirements:

(1) Compact.
Good: TTKami Celestial Portals, RFTools teleporter, IC2 teleporter, Mystcraft books
Bad: Enhanced Portals, Mekanism teleporter

(2) Interdimensional and Intradimensional capability
Good: Mekanism teleporter, Mystcraft books
Bad: TTKami Celestial Portals
Unknown: the others mentioned above.

(3) Non-excessive power requirements
Good: Mystcraft books, TTKami Celestial Portals, Mekanism teleporter
Bad: IC2 teleporter
Unknown: the others mentioned above

(4) Functions reliably:
Good: TTKami Celestial Portals, Mystcraft books, Mekanism teleporter, IC2 teleporter
Bad: Enhanced Portals
Unknown: RFTools teleporter

(5) Ease-of-use:
Highly subjective of course, but one of TTKami's Celestial Portals lets you, on sneaking above the block, choose one of up to 10 destinations from an abstract line map of the network and immediately teleports you there on a click. No other system I know has such a combination of ease-of-use and versatility. Sneak-and-click, you're there. Only scrolling the map gets a little annoying with longer distances, since the map is to-scale with reality. Walk-in portals with fixed destinations are of course easiest to use, but they tend to be big. Mystcraft books are almost as easy, but can't be configured for different destinations - one book, one destination.

(5) Looks cool.
Highly subjective again, and dependent on resource packs. This is the main reason why I want to get away from Mystcraft. It has its own style which actually looks nice, but it doesn't fit in visually with a higher-tech world, unlike TTKami's portals which are very compatible with a far-future "crystal towers" aesthetic. Enhanced Portals can be made to look like anything, but the mod has a history of causing world-corrupting bugs and I don't trust it. Also its portals are not compact. RFtools has no texture resources for the resource pack style I use.

So, that was what I know. Comments, suggestions etc. are most welcome.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
You could try adding Blood Magic Teleposers to the list. They do need LP to function, but could easily be hidden (when using a higher than base-teir focus) under say an elevator shaft. They do transport blocks, both intra- and cross-dimensionally, but entities can only be transported intra-dimension.

Another possiblily (although I'm not sure how fitting this would be to a base) would be to use the Ender Rails on Dimensional transeivers from Ender IO, allowing you to cart across the transeivers. To my knowledge this needs an upkeep power to work. If you using trains, you will need to decouple/recouple.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well... from my own bias' I would say ignore Mystcraft, as it takes little to no skill in the upkeep of dimensions, and the ease of teleportation. You can have linking books teleporting you around within an hour...

Mekanism is nice, VERY nice, however you need to have the portal chunkloaded to teleport to them, IIRC.

IC2, in my opinion, is a dying mod, and not worth bothering with.

RFtools adds a lot of neat stuff, never messed with its teleporters for inter-dimensional teleportation though.

Celestial Portals seem cool, I've used them once or twice, but I can't really remember them all that well.

And I have never used enhanced portals, so I wouldn't know.

BUT! If you have Botania there's an item called the Halo of the flugel (I THINK it is called), which allows you to set a few TP locations, you use on right-click. Although it doesn't do dimensional travel IIRC.

Warp book also adds a teleportation mechanic, where you add pages to your book, and each page is a location you can teleport to. However, once you have the pages (which is just paper and an ender pearl), it is pretty OP

Anyway, my suggestion is you go for something which isn't OP (i.e. you are either having to power it, or you need to do a lot of pre-requisites before you can use it)
So;
Mekanism portals, Celestial Portals, RFTools Portals, IC2 teleporters, Botania "thingy" of the flugel (not the tiara)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Have you thought about the Mystcraft Portal instead of the books for a different look? The book receptacle can be hidden behind the portal. It can even be automated via turtle.

Also, if all you are after is personal teleportation (no devices required) the Charm of Dislocation from Draconic Evolution is great. Does inter dimensional as well. Only drawbacks are it has a limited address book (16 entries I think) and it uses ender pearls for fuel (one per teleport).

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You could try adding Blood Magic Teleposers to the list. They do need LP to function, but could easily be hidden (when using a higher than base-teir focus) under say an elevator shaft. They do transport blocks, both intra- and cross-dimensionally, but entities can only be transported intra-dimension.

Another possiblily (although I'm not sure how fitting this would be to a base) would be to use the Ender Rails on Dimensional transeivers from Ender IO, allowing you to cart across the transeivers. To my knowledge this needs an upkeep power to work. If you using trains, you will need to decouple/recouple.
Hmm...I could transport myself with a Teleposer if I use a button for the redstone pulse required while standing on it, right? That would be very compact and easy to use. Unfortunately, not across dimensions, and it's a strictly point-to-point transition. Still, being as compact as it is that may be acceptable.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm thinking of which teleporting system I'm going to implement on a permanent basis. There are several I know, but none is perfect. I'd like to know if there are others, and how those I know of rate against my requirements:

(1) Compact.
Good: TTKami Celestial Portals, RFTools teleporter, IC2 teleporter, Mystcraft books
Bad: Enhanced Portals, Mekanism teleporter

(2) Interdimensional and Intradimensional capability
Good: Mekanism teleporter, Mystcraft books
Bad: TTKami Celestial Portals
Unknown: the others mentioned above.

(3) Non-excessive power requirements
Good: Mystcraft books, TTKami Celestial Portals, Mekanism teleporter
Bad: IC2 teleporter
Unknown: the others mentioned above

(4) Functions reliably:
Good: TTKami Celestial Portals, Mystcraft books, Mekanism teleporter, IC2 teleporter
Bad: Enhanced Portals
Unknown: RFTools teleporter

(5) Ease-of-use:
Highly subjective of course, but one of TTKami's Celestial Portals lets you, on sneaking above the block, choose one of up to 10 destinations from an abstract line map of the network and immediately teleports you there on a click. No other system I know has such a combination of ease-of-use and versatility. Sneak-and-click, you're there. Only scrolling the map gets a little annoying with longer distances, since the map is to-scale with reality. Walk-in portals with fixed destinations are of course easiest to use, but they tend to be big. Mystcraft books are almost as easy, but can't be configured for different destinations - one book, one destination.

(5) Looks cool.
Highly subjective again, and dependent on resource packs. This is the main reason why I want to get away from Mystcraft. It has its own style which actually looks nice, but it doesn't fit in visually with a higher-tech world, unlike TTKami's portals which are very compatible with a far-future "crystal towers" aesthetic. Enhanced Portals can be made to look like anything, but the mod has a history of causing world-corrupting bugs and I don't trust it. Also its portals are not compact. RFtools has no texture resources for the resource pack style I use.

So, that was what I know. Comments, suggestions etc. are most welcome.

Obviously as the RFTools author my opinion is biased but regarding your 6 points:

(1) Already handled.
(2) RFTools supports interdimensional teleportation. In fact that's its most important functionality as you need these teleporters to go to RFTools dimensions.
(3) RFTools teleporters are not cheap and depends on the distance traveled. The maximum is 100000 RF for a single teleport which is used when you go very far in the same dimension (over 10000 blocks) or to another dimension. For doing teleports in a base it is fairly cheap.
(4) As long as you keep power usage in mind on both sides (transmitter and receiver) the RFTools teleporter should be reliable.
(5) Not going to answer this one as I obviously think my teleporters are easy to use :)
(6) Also subjective but I'm not a great artist. My portals also look a bit different from the others as they don't have a rectangular look but instead resemble Star Trek teleporters much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuzzbling

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Well... from my own bias' I would say ignore Mystcraft, as it takes little to no skill in the upkeep of dimensions, and the ease of teleportation. You can have linking books teleporting you around within an hour...

Mekanism is nice, VERY nice, however you need to have the portal chunkloaded to teleport to them, IIRC.

IC2, in my opinion, is a dying mod, and not worth bothering with.

RFtools adds a lot of neat stuff, never messed with its teleporters for inter-dimensional teleportation though.

Celestial Portals seem cool, I've used them once or twice, but I can't really remember them all that well.

And I have never used enhanced portals, so I wouldn't know.

BUT! If you have Botania there's an item called the Halo of the flugel (I THINK it is called), which allows you to set a few TP locations, you use on right-click. Although it doesn't do dimensional travel IIRC.

Warp book also adds a teleportation mechanic, where you add pages to your book, and each page is a location you can teleport to. However, once you have the pages (which is just paper and an ender pearl), it is pretty OP

Anyway, my suggestion is you go for something which isn't OP (i.e. you are either having to power it, or you need to do a lot of pre-requisites before you can use it)
So;
Mekanism portals, Celestial Portals, RFTools Portals, IC2 teleporters, Botania "thingy" of the flugel (not the tiara)
I didn't know of the Botania item. I guess it needs gaia spirits, right? Gods, how I hate having to fight a boss-level mob in order to progress in a tech tree. I wonder if my Wither-killing trap can be modified to kill the Gaia Guardian. At least it doesn't need to be killed with a specific weapon like Blood Magic's elementals.

As for Mekanism, if I could dispense with the teleporter frame blocks it would be perfect. As it is, the device is not compact enough for my taste, though definitely the best of of the "walk in and be transported" type of gate.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Obviously as the RFTools author my opinion is biased but regarding your 5 points:

(1) Already handled.
(2) RFTools supports interdimensional teleportation. In fact that's its most important functionality as you need these teleporters to go to RFTools dimensions.
(3) RFTools teleporters are not cheap and depends on the distance traveled. The maximum is 100000 RF for a single teleport which is used when you go very far in the same dimension (over 10000 blocks) or to another dimension. For doing teleports in a base it is fairly cheap.
(4) As long as you keep power usage in mind on both sides (transmitter and receiver) the RFTools teleporter should be reliable.
(5) Not going to answer this one as I obviously think my teleporters are easy to use :)
(6) Also subjective but I'm not a great artist. My portals also look a bit different from the others as they don't have a rectangular look but instead resemble Star Trek teleporters much more.
I'm going to check it out, most definitely. 100 KRF, well, that's not cheap, but the limitation is less the power requirement as such - even at my current production of 2.56KF/t it would take only a few seconds to generate - but rather the speed at which you can replenish the device at any given time. Even so, a reasonably advanced base should be able to handle that.

As for being biased, I think it can be excused from someone who's made a useful and reasonably bug-free mod ;)

Reactions: McJty

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm going to check it out, most definitely. 100 KRF, well, that's not cheap, but the limitation is less the power requirement as such - even at my current production of 2.56KF/t it would take only a few seconds to generate - but rather the speed at which you can replenish the device at any given time. Even so, a reasonably advanced base should be able to handle that.

As for being biased, I think it can be excused from someone who's made a useful and reasonably bug-free mod ;)

Thanks. BTW, RFTools is also very configurable. You can tweak all these values and make it cost a lot less if you so prefer.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
The botania item mentioned is actually one of 6 relics that you can get from the dice of fate, a drop from the hardmode gaia gardian. You can't craft it, and it binds to you so only you can use it. And yes the teleposers just need a redstone signal to perform the swap.

Linkero

Jul 29, 2019
I've been lurking around these forums for quite a while, and absolutely had to sign up to reply to this. I wholeheartedly agree with RFTools. It has everything you want. Plus, you can make it very compact. I would've said mystcraft, but what happens when you have 20 places you want to go to? That's 20 different books in one spot(given a central teleportation room)

I'm only touching on compactness with this. Pretty much. A little bit of power, a dialing device, and a transmitter/reciever and you're gold. The dialing device lets your transmitter link with any reciever in the world, and other worlds. Very simple to link up. its sort of like enhanced portals, but with a star trek style. In my opinion, its probably the most realistic setup. As for ease of use, well.....I learned from the book in game, and I figured it out quickly, thus it has to be pretty easy!

One note on reliability: Its only as reliable as you make it. Both sides require power. I personally use a solar panel for my one setup. But, one side looses power and you aren't going there. Wait! The dialing device lets you check the connection. Yup. It tells you whether there is enough power on the other side(extra block required)

All in all, it really just depends on your setup. Every teleportation has its pros and cons. Personally, I think the good in RFTools highly outweighs the bad.

Ps. For super compact, the warp book mentioned above is ideal. Cheap, no power, and all in one inventory spot.

Reactions: mattp_12 and McJty

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I've been lurking around these forums for quite a while, and absolutely had to sign up to reply to this. I wholeheartedly agree with RFTools. It has everything you want. Plus, you can make it very compact. I would've said mystcraft, but what happens when you have 20 places you want to go to? That's 20 different books in one spot(given a central teleportation room)

I'm only touching on compactness with this. Pretty much. A little bit of power, a dialing device, and a transmitter/reciever and you're gold. The dialing device lets your transmitter link with any reciever in the world, and other worlds. Very simple to link up. its sort of like enhanced portals, but with a star trek style. In my opinion, its probably the most realistic setup. As for ease of use, well.....I learned from the book in game, and I figured it out quickly, thus it has to be pretty easy!

One note on reliability: Its only as reliable as you make it. Both sides require power. I personally use a solar panel for my one setup. But, one side looses power and you aren't going there. Wait! The dialing device lets you check the connection. Yup. It tells you whether there is enough power on the other side(extra block required)

All in all, it really just depends on your setup. Every teleportation has its pros and cons. Personally, I think the good in RFTools highly outweighs the bad.

Ps. For super compact, the warp book mentioned above is ideal. Cheap, no power, and all in one inventory spot.

BTW. As of this very moment I'm working on a new system for my screens which will work very well with the teleportation system. Basically I'm adding interactive support for my screens and a 'button' screen module. With that you will be able to click areas on a screen and have this do something based on a wireless redstone signal. If set up well this can be used to let the dialer teleport to different locations. So without having to use a more complicated OC or CC program you will be able to setup a screen with buttons and different destinations for your teleporter.

Here a preliminary screenshot:

jH5fjG9.png

Last edited:

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
You skipped two other options, I believe. Remain In Motion (transposers that are keyed with dye and requires only a frame on top and a redstone signal,) and a new mod called Vanilla Teleporters (which uses a single item as a key to any same-keyed teleporter.)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
You missed the most relevant (to my interests) function of any teleporter...

"Can transport projectile TNT across large distances".

It's vital for the function of my new device. I call it "The wings of Colin". Some transporters can, some can't :)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
At the risk of it being irrelevant: SGCraft's Stargates were (in my opinion) excellent for transportation both within and between dimensions! However, (here comes the irrelevant part) I'm not sure whether the mod is updated to 1.7.X...

Though I think that apart from the "compact" requirement, they fit to a T.

EDIT: Apparently it definitely IS in 1.7!

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
BTW. Isn't LanteaCraft also an option? I have not played with it a lot although I did add it to my current modpack but it looks cool.

Reactions: MacAisling

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
BTW. Isn't LanteaCraft also an option? I have not played with it a lot although I did add it to my current modpack but it looks cool.
That looks really really similar to SGCraft. Like almost-a-carbon-copy similar... which came first??

EDIT: The minecraftforum.net page on it says that it is based on SGCraft. Fair play, if Greg (not THAT Greg) doesn't mind!

ParAdoX83

Jul 29, 2019
If you are lookin for a teleport system just for urself, not for items/liquids/whatever there is nth superior to Draconic Evolutions "Enhanced Charm of Dislocation"

- it's an item, ergo u carry it around with u
- works from anywhere to everywhere
- you can set waypoints, name them, move their location etc.pp.
- needs 1 ender pearl per port, but once u reached the end thats like whatever
- ports are instant

i dont really get what u got against enhanced portals though. early game till u get above mentioned item, it is the most convenient and easiest way to teleport around. 500RF/t is ike piece of cake even early game. and it never was not-reliable in my games

Last edited: