List of monitoring tools

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I made a thread in the tech support area about tracking down the source of some pretty massive ping spikes (bursts of 1000 ping).

Over the past week I've been pulling my hair out attempting to diagnose this issue. I've gone as far as to dump the server onto my girlfriend's computer while she is away (of which it runs flawlessly). I stressed out her CPU, I maxed out her disk I/O, I filled up her memory. Nothing I did replicated these mysterious lag spikes.

I'm now looking for any/all available monitoring tools that might help me track down this issue. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on an OpenVZ VPS using mcpc+. I've tried everything from Warmroast to jvisualvm, while the information these programs provide is detailed, nothing stands out as a likely culprit.

If anyone else is hosting a large modded server via a vps, what tools do you use to monitor the vps directly(besides the obvious top/htop which yield nothing out of the ordinary)?

Edit: I found a tool called glances that allowed me to track down the issue. Thread can be closed.

Last edited:

Phyrax

Jul 29, 2019
For those in the future who are looking at this, since the author did not provide the name of the tool, may i suggest using TCP Dump `tcpdump` piped to the command of your choice for filtering. This will show you where packets are going in and out of your server. Of course this is linux only, mac maybe....

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
For those in the future who are looking at this, since the author did not provide the name of the tool, may i suggest using TCP Dump `tcpdump` piped to the command of your choice for filtering. This will show you where packets are going in and out of your server. Of course this is linux only, mac maybe....
He did. it's called glances