Limit processor for server

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Hello!

I would like to use my companie's server for hosting a FTB server for a couple friends.

Right now im using a virtual server under vmware on a different physical machine where im able to throttle the max CPU to a fraction of the physical CPU.

The thing is our new server is not virtualized, so i dont know of a way to prevent the FTB server from eating up all the processor.

Is there a command line option to set the max CPU % at a certain level?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Why is it a problem that it's using 100% CPU? If two processes need CPU they will be sharing the available CPU.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Because its a company server, where many processes run that are considered critial.

Unfortunately my FTb server is not one of them...

I tried lowering the process priority, but still has too much of an effect on the rest of the stuff running.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you shouldn't be running a video game server on a company machine anyway...

There are programs that can throttle the CPU usage of other programs (eg: Process Lasso), but afaik no JVM argument to do as such.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you shouldn't be running a video game server on a company machine anyway...

There are programs that can throttle the CPU usage of other programs (eg: Process Lasso), but afaik no JVM argument to do as such.

How about limiting the server to stick to a single processor? (the server is quad core).

Does it do that naturally for most of the stuff? Not sure how multithreaded MC is...

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The UNIX command you're looking for is nice.

The usual way I start my minecraft server is to use a tool like GNU Screen or Tmux (I prefer the later) to launch the server. I usually give it -Xmx2G -Xms1G if it's going to be using 1-10 people (you'd use much more if you have more than 10 industrious players using chunkloaders), with a nice increment of 5ish.

Example: nice -n 5 java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you, but the server is windows based.
Its cool to see theres an option to do it, at least for linux users

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
You can open the task manager find the right java process and set the processor affinity for this task, so you can use only one processor core for the server.
A long time ago i wrote myself a program to set the affinity automatic when starting Warcraft 3 i think..because i got funny if windows moved the process from one core to another.