Lightning Rod and energy transport

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

_momomo

Jul 29, 2019
Hi FTB community,

Right now I have a Lightning Rod (LR) setup in my void eternal storm age. I use two Matter Fabs in that age, that are in direct contact with two LRs each, so I can supply a somewhat constant energy, afterall 25kk EU is depleted in just 1.5 UU.

Is that a decent setup? I am not sure if the LRs need to be seperated more than the current two blocks, but thats the only way to get the full 8192 EU/t into the Matter Fab.

Secondly: my real problem.
I setup two more LRs in that age and want to transfer the power to the overworld. To get all the power from the LR I need to attach 4 HV-Transformers to it, so I get 16 packets á 512 EU/t, right? (HV-T consumes 2048 EU/t and outputs 4 packets á 512 EU)
These I can then transfer using glass fibre cables. Now i tried using Power converters. HV->Steam and then into a liquid tesseract. The problem I encountered is, that a single steam producer only produces 1000mB of steam, which equals to ~487 EU/t. Does that mean, that I need 4 steam producers and 4 HV-consumers on EACH HV-Transformer, just to convert these 4 512 EU packets into steam? (well not exactly, since it would result in 4 x 487 EU/t, but just to get an idea)

If the above is correct, that means power converers are definitely NOT the way to transer this power.
Another attempt Ive read about almost everywhere are IESUs. What I know is that they consume 2048 EU/t. Does that mean I need 4 or them to transfer all the power from one LR? That would make this extremely expensive.

I am kinda stuck on how to transfer the power of the LR into the overworld and use it there as high voltage to feed into whatever I need.

Edit:

Just found a post about the fusion reactor where it say, thats you need one IESU (some say IDSU, although the energy part is missing then o_O) per HV-Transformer, since it really is only 2048 EU/t at max.

I guess Il start with two IESU then, one for each rod. Should help fill up the storage. Gonna lose some power if a second lightning strike "triggers", but essentially 2-4k EU/t should be enough for now.

Edit2:
this. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/interdemensional-energy-storage-units.17525/
says that an IESU can get unlimited 2048 EU packets as an input. Is that still correct? (Ultimate 1.1.2)

Edit3:
Just tested this. The UI says max IN: 2048EU/t , but its rather 2048 EU/p, hooking up a ton of ultimate hybrids charhed it extremely fast.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you can attach 4, 2048EU/t lines in parallel, into a single line, attached to one side of an IESU, you will get 8192EU/t reading through the cable.

Similarly, if you have 400, 2048EU/t lines in parallel, into a single line, attached to one side of an IESU you will get 819200EU/t reading through that cable. It will also charge 100 times faster than the above. That's the flaw in the EU system which makes it so much easier to deal with. No need for parallel lines like we do in the real world.

_momomo

Jul 29, 2019
Well thats true for cables, but not neccessarily for machines. The Matter fabricator worked similar before the update, now its just 8192 EU per tick and packet. The description of the IESU is inconsistent. When you use it the UI says 2048 EU/t in and out. In 2 of 3 wikis it says the same. In one wiki it says 2048 EU/t out and 2048 EU/p in, so basically unlimited power sources can go in. and when hovering above the IESU in the inventory it says both 2048 EU/p in and out.
Well I hooked up a ton of Ultimate hybrids and it seems it charges faster, so I guess it is unlimited EU/t in.