Least laggy power solution?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been playing FTB Ultimate for a few weeks now and was having trouble sorting out power systems. I had a tree farm feeding into stuff for biofuel for awhile and that was working out okay, but scaling it up to what I'd need to run the matter fabricator along with everything else was going to be very space intensive. I briefly flirted with a blaze farm feeding tons of generators, but turned out to be fairly power neutral when I set up the monster essence and enchanting fidly bits. So I thought I'd give thermal generators a try with a BC pump in a mystcraft ocean o' lava age. And wow that worked amazingly. I spent the next few days doing very little other than make max size xycraft tanks to hold all the lava this thing was putting out. At that point I started manufacturing thermal generators by the stack. I scaled up the pumping operation by adding 4 more pumps spaced out at the edges of the first pump's operation and was feeding 10 max xycraft tanks through 5 liquid tesseracts. At it's height, it was pushing over 3000 eu/tick. Which was awesome, right?

Well it looked impressive anyway.

But as I scaled it up, I noticed the server getting laggier and laggier. Checking up on it, it was my lava age that was causing it. All that flowing lava area (~300 by 300) was decimating performance. If dim 0 was 5ms/tick, the age was 50ms/tick. But it gets better, I tried breaking the chunk loader to turn the damn thing off for a bit (having exhausted every other possible option for reducing/troubleshooting lag) and that fixed it. So I installed 'off' switches on all the pumps (thinking it was the pumps) and turned them all off and replaced the chunk loader. At which point the server just gives up on chunk loaders, crashes the client and resets the chunk, which obliterates one of the pumping stations. That's fine, they're really easy to make and hey more lava. Try to place the chunk loader again, crash again, chunk reset again. Replace the pumping station for a third time and place the chunk loader elsewhere in the same age, crash again, the same chunk where the chunk loader was originally got reset again.

It was at this point, after much reading on the topic, that I reset the age and started over with GT's advanced pump. Since I don't see a lot of people write about them, I'll explain the differences between them and the BC pump. First, the BC pump is easier to power, lots easier. You only need two magmatic engines and a redstone engine to kick start a BC pump setup, super easy. The advanced pump on the other hand says it can take up to 128 eu/p, which led me to believe I'd need about that much going into it. Yup. In order to do that, you need around 6 thermal generators per pump (and an mfe wouldn't hurt either). This leads to the second point, the BC pump pushes out more lava faster than the advanced pump when accounting for how much is needed to power it. My measurement is based on what was getting through the tesseracts to my tanks and 5 fully powered advanced pumps is barely break-even on my power setup whereas 4 BC pumps were more than I ever needed and kept all my tanks full (one of my pumping stations overloaded its conductive pipe and I didn't even notice for days that it was out of commission). The advanced pump's one saving grace is that it won't obliterate performance because of the way it removes lava compared to the BC pump. Which is great, I can break blocks and do things again.

Okay, so that leads into the thread title.

TL;DR My lava setup generates around 3000 eu/t and isn't horribly laggy with the advanced pumps despite the large amount of thermal generators. What should I be looking at for power generation that's as good or better that isn't slinging around quite so many low current packets? Long term I could build the second IESU and a lightning rod in the lava age (it's also eternal storm because lols), but the output on that tops out at 2048 at the IESU and I was really looking forward to that as additional power rather than replacing what I have now.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
This might not be the perfect answer you are looking for, but it is a tip for less laggy builds.

The mods machines you use (or 'blocks' that are not just blocks), the more lag it will induce.
Also, when talking about IC2 power grid, more packets seems to correlate with higher computation, which leads to what is usually called 'server side lag'.

The answer to that would be to use blocks that produce more power at once rather than spamming those producing less per block, but the actual cost for doing that is usually higher.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've successfully powered the advanced pump off a thermal generator just fine. It can take MV, but doesn't require the full amount to run. The main advantage of the advanced pump is not the speed, but the way in which it removes the flowing lava blocks. It is much better than the BC pump for removing the flowing blocks. It is all the flowing blocks that cause the lag, so reducing them will reduce the amount of lag when pumping a lava age or nether.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
This might not be the perfect answer you are looking for, but it is a tip for less laggy builds.

The mods machines you use (or 'blocks' that are not just blocks), the more lag it will induce.
Also, when talking about IC2 power grid, more packets seems to correlate with higher computation, which leads to what is usually called 'server side lag'.

The answer to that would be to use blocks that produce more power at once rather than spamming those producing less per block, but the actual cost for doing that is usually higher.

Yah that's what I'm going for. I may have been too wordy about it. Thermal generators produce 24eu/p, which is why I was using them over generators or other stuff that puts out even less per packet. The only thing I can think of that'd be an intermediate between thermal generators and lightning rods or fusion reactors is hybrid and ultimate hybrid solar panels. The ultimates are worth between 2.67 to 21.33 thermal generators depending on the weather/time, but they don't seem to be a very interesting way to go about power generation.

I've successfully powered the advanced pump off a thermal generator just fine. It can take MV, but doesn't require the full amount to run. The main advantage of the advanced pump is not the speed, but the way in which it removes the flowing lava blocks. It is much better than the BC pump for removing the flowing blocks. It is all the flowing blocks that cause the lag, so reducing them will reduce the amount of lag when pumping a lava age or nether.

Well remember that I'm trying to suck down lava fast enough to feed around two stacks of thermal generators simultaneously... The only reason I'm currently using them over the BC pump is because the flowing lava issue has made the BC pump unusable for pumping lava for me. I'll have to look into how much power they're really using as I didn't investigate that much in my frantic rush to get pumping back online before the tanks ran dry. It's somewhat scary how fast it ran through 80,000 buckets of lava...