Learning AE2 n hav'n Fun!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Just an example, but anything you're going to need a lot of. I know the RF solar panels use lots of mirrors that require glass panes, so you end up waiting on those and that's another good use for them.

L

Lady_K7332

very very true, my favorite is a designated export bus into a chest buffer feeding a hopper into a thaumcraft deconstruct, I have a simple clicky app that lets you designate where to click on screen as set intervals, made 5k crafting benches and went to bed, woke up and finished research rofl. Lazy I know, I made a 1cell closet with the bench inside to help prevent monsters from spawning due to warp.

L

Lady_K7332

1.) So I'm playing still and tinkering away, and found a subnet linking a chest to a chest/hopper combo above an item grate over an advanced alchemical furnace with a babysitting golem or two using gather cores is quite fun to watch and it works rather well for all those pesky items to be spate out.

2.) Finally realized to use the curative vat with thaumic-energistics essentia provider, you need pipes going into it, they can't be placed by them selves. Yes I had two chickens die for some reason, then got a friendly Wither Cow to work <_< yes he's grazing on my netherwart farm as we speak.

3.) Now looking to experiment with voidlings from Thaumic Horizons, mini eldritch all over my base makes me feel darkly comfortable though for some reason.

I'll get around to posting stuffisiz tommorow/later today, I'm going to sleep. NM, delayed, was on a Robocraft kick! Will post today/tomorrow.

Last edited:
L

Lady_K7332

Just an example, but anything you're going to need a lot of. I know the RF solar panels use lots of mirrors that require glass panes, so you end up waiting on those and that's another good use for them.
In regards to RF, I setup multiple everburn urns feeding magma dynamos XD endless powaaaaa!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A few interesting tips:

You don't have to always automate everything using Applied Energistics. An Interface can provide materials, which can then be filtered through Thermal Dynamics ducts to make sure they arrive at their intended destination. Same thing with EnderIO conduits, but Ducts look so much cooler, particularly when you use hardened glass so you can see the items zipping along.

For example, I have a series of machines for the circuit making, one for each type. Then the interface gets a recipie 'one silicon + one <material> + 1 Redstone = 1 <chipset>'. The silicon and material go to their appropriately filtered machines, the redstone goes to the chipset stamper, then when the circuit boards are done, they also go to the chipset stamper, and out comes the result ducted back to the interface.

This can be similarly used for auto-refining of ores. Provide various ores to your pulverizers, pipe results directly to induction smelter, with the 'chance for additional' going down to a regular powered furnace for processing separately, and results are piped back into the same interface. This'll save you.

Also, remember the MAC from AE1? I re-created it. A 4x4x4 cube of interfaces and assemblers. Well, technically it's a 6x6x6, but only because of the additional assembly chambers surrounding it so that each and every interface has six assemblers adjacent to it. Precisely 32 channels, or a full dense cable worth of channels. I then proceeded to outline it with Chisel's Machine Blocks, which uses a marginal amount of iron to make some pretty fantastic looking sheet metal. Very nice effect.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Though the advantage to EnderIO is that you can also cross AE cables with it, if they aren't connected to any of the multi-part items. IE, Terminals, or Importer/Exporters. Can you direct connect TD Ducts to EIO cables? I know you can with some mods, such as Mekanism Cables to EIO conduits. (Or rather I believe so.)

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I'd like to know is how to expand my setup. It works fine for now, but I noticed that I can't have two controllers on my rig unless they're adjacent, otherwise they seem to "conflict", causing them to turn red and the whole system to shut down. I had to place them in a weird spot to get them close enough to all the things that require controllers. Much of this is all the machines that handle quarry output.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Also, remember the MAC from AE1? I re-created it. A 4x4x4 cube of interfaces and assemblers. Well, technically it's a 6x6x6, but only because of the additional assembly chambers surrounding it so that each and every interface has six assemblers adjacent to it. Precisely 32 channels, or a full dense cable worth of channels. I then proceeded to outline it with Chisel's Machine Blocks, which uses a marginal amount of iron to make some pretty fantastic looking sheet metal. Very nice effect.
Images or you're a lying piece of crap.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Controllers will multi-block up to 7 blocks away from the center, with the best structure being a set of 3 H shapes connected via bars. That gives the maximum amount of sides. A hollow box works as well.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Controllers will multi-block up to 7 blocks away from the center, with the best structure being a set of 3 H shapes connected via bars. That gives the maximum amount of sides. A hollow box works as well.

So, a string of controllers can't be more than 14 blocks long, then? And their range seemed to be about that much too... Is there really no way to further expand an ME system size-wise? And why are sides important? Do more sides connected give more channels? If you have/can link to pics, I'd like to see them.
I'm used to AE1 and setting up sprawling ME systems that manage items across a whole base.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I think that's right, but I haven't played with AE2 in quite a while. But every exposed face of an AE controller gives access to 32 channels. So a single controller block has 6x32 channels total available. Add a second and it's now 10x32, and so on.

As for the size, it's as large as you have the power to support the cables for. Every cable placed takes power, so I think at something like 400 blocks in length, it's cheaper to run a Quantum Ring.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So, a string of controllers can't be more than 14 blocks long, then? And their range seemed to be about that much too... Is there really no way to further expand an ME system size-wise? And why are sides important? Do more sides connected give more channels? If you have/can link to pics, I'd like to see them.
I'm used to AE1 and setting up sprawling ME systems that manage items across a whole base.
Here's the thing:

Controllers give a number of channels per side. Therefore, assuming you are using either dense cable or P2P connections, you can have 32 * (number of faces exposed) channels for your network.

A single controller has 6 sides, so that's a maximum of 192 channels possible off of a single ME Controller block. So the key is to maximize your number of channel faces, which is why they tend to be awkward hollow geometric shapes, to maximize the number of exposed faces (surface area, if you will) to draw from.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used dense cables or P2P tunnels. What do those do?

I get it that more sides connected means more channels. But what I noticed is that controllers have a range to them, and things like buses that are too far away fail to come online despite there being enough channels. The rig I have has the basic system, that is, drive and terminals (crafting and pattern), in a clump along with an interface for taking quarry output. Extending from that, a bit to the side, is a row of 10 pulverizers with export buses. Itemducts take the dusts to a row of furnaces, ingots then go to the system through another interface. Another branch puts the cobble into a cyclic assembler using a bus. The whole thing is ugly as hell, but it works.

I tried moving them further from the end of the pulverizer row and giving them more connections to test if they did in fact have a range, and they do. The two buses on the end went offline, saying that they were missing a channel.

So, as far as size goes, that is, how far the cables stretch, do they now have to be centralized unless you use quantum link chambers? I've only done basic setups. A simple drive-controller-terminal rig, all basic cables, and buses and interfaces for automating. No autocrafting, no quantum link chambers (I've only seen them, not used them), no spatial or fluid storage. The fanciest I've gotten is wireless terminals. This is also my first time using AE2, with a quest book providing sone guidance.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Cables require power. If you're too far away, they probably don't have enough power for the entire length of cable.

Basic cables, as well as smart ones, carry eight channels each. Dense ones carry 32 channels, but can't have Import/Export busses on them. Instead, you split them down into four normal cables and then each of those has eight channels.

p2p tunnels can transfer channels long distances as if they were one block apart. So a hundred block distance is still counted as one block. They'll travel 32 channels per, if connected to dense cable.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I probably misphrased what I meant by offline. In Waila, they say they're missing a channel. I went into my creative world and whipped up a test rig with two lines of 10 export buses connected to chests, simply to see if the cause really was the range of the controllers. The system was a basic one with an energy acceptor, a drive, and a crafting terminal. It recieved power from a redstone fluxduct.

I started with one controller, set at the back of the two rows of buses and a little to one side. As expected, eight came online, but in an uneven pattern.

I then moved it down the line, which caused more to come online. Adding a second brought all of them online when they were in the middle. Two at the "back" of the rows, closest to the center of the system, failed to bring six online, while all of them came online if they were further down.

After this, without moving or adding controllers, I added two more energy acceptors. It had no effect.

I also noticed that I could not bring more online by connecting more sides. The test was going back to one controller at the back. Two at the back could reach to the 7th bus. One would only bring 8 online in the same place, four on each row. However, all 20 should not have been brought online by two controllers if this holds completely true.

So, they do have a range, and it seems to be 8 blocks, regardless of the amount of power. Seeing as terminals and flat interfaces require a channel as well, this fact plus the controllers needing to be adjacent forces ME systems to be compact and centralized.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You need to run three separate lines, using cable anchors or painting to keep them from cross connecting and forming loops. Each cable has 8 channels, and so can support eight total machines.

Here, you can see the blue and yellow lines each have eight connections, and they're all lit, with enough channels. They're coming off of a single Dense cable, breaking up the 32 channels from the controller into four sets. The red one has one that's off line, because that's the ninth block.
2017-02-11_08.10.33.png

Here, the green is quite some distance from the controller, but still has exactly eight channels.
2017-02-11_08.11.59.png

This one is in correct, because it can only support four of the 16 devices because it doesn't have enough channels, and it's looping. Break any of the active ones, and it'll jump to a new one. Those eight are on, simply because they have the closest connection to the controller.
2017-02-11_08.27.00.png

This is the correct way, using anchors to separate the lines into two sets of eight devices, which will all be online.
2017-02-11_08.29.36.png

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, ok! I didn't know looping was a thing. The quest book didn't mention anything about that. Well, now my rig is a lot less messy and more colorful! Thanks!
Also, those are some very brightly glowing cables... Are those covered cables? I just use glass ones.