Laptop Question (sorry)

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Let me start this thread by saying I'm sure you everyone here has seen their fair share of "what laptop should I use" posts, as I have, and I would like to apologize for making a similar thread. However, when searching through the threads, I never found anything that was helpful to my personal situation, so I am here to post a question. Please don't throw stones.

I am going to need to get a new computer. I will need a better one to use as a DAW (in other words I write music and record it through my computer), and I would like to be able to play Monster with a good texture pack, hopefully 128x+, and have a good frame rate. Oh and one more thing it has to be portable. Oh. Crap. That is where everything gets difficult. I could get a full blown gaming pc for relatively cheap but because I need a laptop, everything gets tricky. I'm going to need a new laptop for college in a year and a half, and I don't think mine that dies as soon as I unplug it will be a good choice.

Here is what I am looking at should I decide to go full blown gaming laptop:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/FANGBOOK_Evo_HX7-100_Gaming_Notebook
This is the absolute maximum amount of money I am willing to spend on a computer, and I would prefer something cheaper.

I might not end up getting a gaming pc though. I would like to see what some of my friends do first. After all it is a lot more fun to play games with friends, so I may end up going console when they drop the price about $100 like they did a year after the last generation of consoles came out.

So here is what I'm looking for.
-Can run Monster with descent frame rates
-Run the DAW Cubase well (shouldn't be a problem for any descent computers)
-Will last me through college as a computer that I can do homework / take notes on.

I am looking for suggestions for what to buy, especially in laptops that aren't specifically made for gaming, since it is obvious a super gaming laptop could easily run a game with the graphics of minecraft, but if you think you have a better idea of a gaming laptop, feel free to post that too.

I understand that the RAM and the processor are what's important, and the graphics card is less important when running minecraft.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, and thank you for any help in advance.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
That's not a horrible laptop. I'd personally "upgrade" to the 7200 RPM 1GB drive (and save $4), and change to Windows 7 if you stick with that. Also, you might want to consider the 1x8GB stick of RAM instead of the 2x4GB, they're offering it for the same price and will let you potentially upgrade your RAM later without having to remove a stick.

Honestly, the way I see things, it's best to build things for longevity, which sometimes means spending a bit more initially and having a computer/laptop that lasts for the better portion of a decade.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that the RAM and the processor are what's important, and the graphics card is less important when running minecraft.

All three are very important. Take it from me: you absolutely DO NOT want to play minecraft on a laptop with integrated Intel graphics. It may not be necessary to go full bore and get the best graphics card, but you definitely will want to make sure you get a dedicated card.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
This laptop is capable of running monster IMO
But really important to mention is that it's also the amount of stuff you load on your computer that impacts performance.
Just filling it with all kinds of shit, downloading illegal cracks, going to websites you shouldn't be going to=malware
I have a ton of friends who come to me and say: "Dude my laptop is going slow?"
And a quick cleanup for malware and useless programs they get their power back.

What i'm trying to say is that this laptop is capable of running monster on paper but if you don't treat it well it will lose power.
(Don't forget to clean it inside every 3-4 months)

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
A laptop with an Intel Core i3, 4 GB of RAM and a halfway decent graphics card should be able to run monster perfectly. Just give it 2 GB of RAM.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
That's not a horrible laptop. I'd personally "upgrade" to the 7200 RPM 1GB drive (and save $4), and change to Windows 7 if you stick with that. Also, you might want to consider the 1x8GB stick of RAM instead of the 2x4GB, they're offering it for the same price and will let you potentially upgrade your RAM later without having to remove a stick.

Honestly, the way I see things, it's best to build things for longevity, which sometimes means spending a bit more initially and having a computer/laptop that lasts for the better portion of a decade.

Yeah I am definitively going to get the 7200 RPM drive. 7200s really help when recording music. My thinking right now is that it probably won't last too long as a gaming pc, but I could game on it for a couple years, and it would be usable in general long enough to get me through college.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I am definitively going to get the 7200 RPM drive. 7200s really help when recording music. My thinking right now is that it probably won't last too long as a gaming pc, but I could game on it for a couple years, and it would be usable in general long enough to get me through college.
I dunno. With the trend for many "indie" games coming out recently, it's been that they don't have the highest system requirements, but still provide great gameplay. You can probably keep gaming on that laptop for quite some time if you keep an eye out for good games on Steam or GoG. Mind you, you're probably spot on for the billion-dollar-budget AAA supergames that are coming out, but there's still dozens of games coming out every year with lower system reqs that are just as good, if not better (to me at least).