LANDSCAPING

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
This topic is about transforming and sculpting the land.

I'm going to make Silent Hill. This calls for a lot of biome control. I have been scouring the map for the perfect spot. I need a biome that is pretty much like the Vanilla "plains."

I'm going to set off a nuke and make the lake.

I found a decent spot. So now I'm smoothing out my canvas.

I have a system that works pretty well for me;

Whenever I encounter a pond, I zap it with the Wand of Frost to turn the water into ice blocks. Then I whip out the Wand of Equal Trade (my right-hand man) and transform the ice into grass blocks.

I don't know if you guys ever use it this way, but, if you go into "creative mode plus" and get infinite grass blocks (or any kind of block) and have a Wand of Equal Trade, you can fly around and convert the landscape into the desired block.

That wand, along with the Filler machine, it's almost as good as World Edit. Almost.

I was wondering which methods you guys might use to edit the landscape.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
Pics wouldn't show much, at the moment. I have my render distance set to short due to lag issues. I will most definitely take some soon though.

I have tried the terraformer. I have used different TFBP's but the thing doesnt seem to be very effective. Maybe I'm using it wrong.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Mining laser and that item from GraviPack which breaks pretty much everything instantly for spot cleaning, and if I have a mountain to remove, I fall back on BC and the filler(though I haven't done this in a while, so I may be wrong about what to use[and likely am]).

If you need literal biome control, grab EnderStuff+, which has a block which can literally change the biome of an area. Like, change, say, Plains to Desert for that sun burned grass look, or maybe to the Nether for some "visitors", or maybe "The End" for some "friends".

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
I am right now struggling wit the dang filler. I'm trying to use it to help flatten the land by filling in the gaps between the high points in this field.

The thing, as usual, is giving me grief. I have the pattern set, and the thing is fully powered and stocked with blocks. The light is red, however, and it refuses to work.[DOUBLEPOST=1368584084][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mining laser and that item from GraviPack which breaks pretty much everything instantly for spot cleaning, and if I have a mountain to remove, I fall back on BC and the filler(though I haven't done this in a while, so I may be wrong about what to use[and likely am]).

If you need literal biome control, grab EnderStuff+, which has a block which can literally change the biome of an area. Like, change, say, Plains to Desert for that sun burned grass look, or maybe to the Nether for some "visitors", or maybe "The End" for some "friends".

I'm using Direwolf's pack. I think I have that mining laser. Its the one wit the red tip. Is that the one from "gravipack"?

What is BC?

EnderStuff+? It sounds perfect. I'm not sure if I have it though

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Pics wouldn't show much, at the moment. I have my render distance set to short due to lag issues. I will most definitely take some soon though.

I have tried the terraformer. I have used different TFBP's but the thing doesnt seem to be very effective. Maybe I'm using it wrong.
I've seen good results from I think the Cultivation TFBP. It might have been the irrigation one, though. Letting it run for a while made a very nice garden-like thing. Not as choked for space as a forest, but with plenty of underbrush. Whenever I try to manually build something like that it ends up looking built, not natural, so the terraformer was kinda nice.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I am right now struggling wit the dang filler. I'm trying to use it to help flatten the land by filling in the gaps between the high points in this field.

The thing, as usual, is giving me grief. I have the pattern set, and the thing is fully powered and stocked with blocks. The light is red, however, and it refuses to work.[DOUBLEPOST=1368584084][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'm using Direwolf's pack. I think I have that mining laser. Its the one wit the red tip. Is that the one from "gravipack"?

What is BC?

The mining laser is vanilla IC2, actually. The thing I can't spell starts with a V but is pretty cool. BC is shorthand for Buildcraft. There's a lot of shorthand names here. IC2, GT, BC, EE3, TC, TE, AE, FZ, YOLO, FR, EBXL, MFR, SWAG, you name it, we've got shorthand for it.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019

What is BC?

The mining laser does indeed have a red tip. The item from GraviSuite is called a Vajra. BC = BuildCraft (the mod the filler is from). EnderStuff+ is not included in any FTB pack as far as I know, so unless you downloaded it separately, you probably don't have it.

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, you guys, this Silent Hill is going to be EPIC. I built one in our Vanilla server a while ago. It was all underground. You take an exit in the subway and jump down a hole.

The thing was basically a town underground. I took great care to line it with black wool and barricade the streets. I had a hospital which had a hallway on the third floor, which stretched on into a surprise trap that sends you to the "other" hospital. An exact replica except lined with fleshy netherrack and stuffed with traps and bizarre rooms.

I tried to make the whole town like an interactive story. There were written books which narrated the plot.

THIS ONE will have better special effects what with the fancy redstone circuitry and machines.

Of course, I will have a command block which forces the player into Adventure mode. I will however provide a wooden sword and some cheap armor in the starting point.

If I'm feeling particularly cruel, I may have the player enter a mystcraft portal with the disarm option selected.

So this town is above ground, but I will have an exact replica below it. But it will be... different.. heh heh

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
So what do you guys recommend? the Terraformer and Filler?

Have you guys ever used the Wand of Equal Trade like I have? It's great!

Why isnt my Filler working?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
For making silent hill, I'd probably skip the terraformer. I liked the way it grew plants in a natural looking way, but that's not really what you're after.

I've never used the wand of equal trade quite like that, quite ingenious if you ask me.

The filler gets stuck if it encounters lava I think. You're just doing surface work, though, so I find that to be an unlikely issue. If you're using energy conduits for your power hookup make sure they're wrenched in the correct direction. Those are the first potential problems that come to mind.

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what Im doing wrong. There isnt any lava or weird obstructions in the way. Why is the light red?
Untitled.png

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Is there oil? That will screw it up same as lava.

I'm afraid my usage of the filler has been mostly problem free, so I don't have a lot of experience troubleshooting it.

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, I didn't see any lava or oil. I have a love hate relationship with this machine.

WELL, I decided just to make a mystcraft age that would suit me better.

It's mostly a Plains world, with "dark" selected as a modifier for lighting, and "overcast" for weather. Check it out!
Untitled.png

There are plains without trees.

I will still face some of the same problems, though.

Though not as bad.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, I didn't see any lava or oil. I have a love hate relationship with this machine.

WELL, I decided just to make a mystcraft age that would suit me better.

It's mostly a Plains world, with "dark" selected as a modifier for lighting, and "overcast" for weather. Check it out! *snip'd*

There are plains without trees.

I will still face some of the same problems, though.

Though not as bad.
Make sure you disable instability in that age then if you're planning on using it for videos or whatever. Unless you're a great age writer, in which case you may be fine. Or completely doomed.