Lagging problem

rod

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,
I have just built a new dedicated server based on the following spec. But we get a lot of lag from it. I was hoping someone could provide some pointers to help solve the problem
Dell Power Edge R210 mk2 Server
Intel Xeon E31220 Quad Core 3.1 Ghz processor
16Gb RAM
2 x 300Gb SAS 15k HDD
Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit SP1
Java SDK 64bit
NO AV software running
The server is connected to a firewalled FTTC connection in the UK which runs at 70Mb down - 12mb up. The firewall has a single port which is NAT'ing through to the server. Std Minecraft port being used.

The client is on a different ADSL connection running at 7Mb down - 900k up. It has also been tried at other locations, one with a similar bandwidth connection to the server and they also notice lag.

Whilst running FTB the server CPU sits at around 48% and RAM @ 2GB. This server is 100% dedicated to FTB and nothing else runs on it.

This is my start up script
java -server -DJINTEGRA_NATIVE_MODE -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:UseSSE=3 -Xmn2G -Xms6G -Xmx6G -XX:SurvivorRatio=4 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:parallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -jar ftbserver.jar -nogui

I found this on another forum whilst trying to get to the bottom of the issue but it doesn't seem to have made much difference to using the standard startup script.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks

rod

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I forgot to mention.. we are running FTB Unleased and whilst running the Java Minecraft server console says it's running at around 225Mb which is 50% free. The other stats are Windows performance manager stats. We do get the message in the console that says "Server can not keep up" every now and again also.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I know that SSD hard drives are highly suggested over HDD for servers, due to being able to read and write to and from them much faster.

rod

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Wagon153... I have seen that but have you seen the cost of good quality "large" SSD HDD's... the drives I have a 15'000 rpm spin and run of a direct server SAS controller... they run at around 3 times faster than your average PC SATA drive with much quicker read / write speeds so if these drives don't work and SSD are the only option FTB is dead on the ground as it's needs are just beyond most people.

Just for added info... running a basic Minecraft server is fine with no lag so it has to be something to do with the FTB mod.

rod

Jul 29, 2019
We are running Unleased.. sorry did mention it above in my second post.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Sorry I forgot to mention.. we are running FTB Unleased and whilst running the Java Minecraft server console says it's running at around 225Mb which is 50% free. The other stats are Windows performance manager stats. We do get the message in the console that says "Server can not keep up" every now and again also.

If the memory percentage free says that then I think there is a java flag somewhere that is telling java to use 512mb of ram. Unless you have actually allocated only 512mb of ram which sounds :eek: to me.

Take a look at the link below to make sure there is no variable in there.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/direwolf20-pack-crashes-on-load.41319/#post-562561

rod

Jul 29, 2019
Hi UniZero, thanks for the info. I have checked the link above and I do not have any Java variables. I have also double checked my start.bat file and simplified it to the following

java -server-Xms4096M -Xmx6144M -jar ftbserver.jar

I have also followed this advice and set Java to use 6Gb RAM - http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/120229/how-do-you-allocate-more-ram-to-minecraft

Unfortunately none of it has made a difference and my server console is still reporting "Memory Use: 210Mb (62% free)

I think you are right in saying Java is only using 512Mb RAM but I can not seem to alter this.

Any other tips?
Thanks

rod

Jul 29, 2019
I think I may have resolved it. I have set the start.bat file to use 10Gb Ram on both setting and now my server console shows as 402Mb use & 96% free... will load the server up with users later and see if it still lags. No idea why the 6Gb setting made no difference although I have since rebooted my server also.
Thanks