Kerbal Space Program

wishinguponyou

Jul 29, 2019
So, I don't play many games besides Minecraft, one of my favorite has to be KSP. I found out about it on accident, through Youtube, seeing someone else play it and fell in love. Bought and downloaded that night. Been with it for a while and loved it. Building crazy things with vanilla and mods is awesome. Got a few geosync space stations up right now (Opposite sides of Kerban right now). Right now, trying to design a nice Mun and Minmus base that I can land. Anyone else playing KSP around here?

adib

Jul 29, 2019
wishinguponyou said:
So, I don't play many games besides Minecraft, one of my favorite has to be KSP. I found out about it on accident, through Youtube, seeing someone else play it and fell in love. Bought and downloaded that night. Been with it for a while and loved it. Building crazy things with vanilla and mods is awesome. Got a few geosync space stations up right now (Opposite sides of Kerban right now). Right now, trying to design a nice Mun and Minmus base that I can land. Anyone else playing KSP around here?
seems interesting but im not gonna play 18 bux for it.

Fuubar

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just gonna drop in here and say that Jebediah is a boss. With his joyful smiling, you half expect him to break into cheering when pieces start falling off (Now this flight is getting fun). The only time I've seen him freak out was when project space brick went pear shaped. Luckily no one survived to tarnish Jab's reputation as fearless.

KSP used to be hilariously difficult before they added symmetry. I remember crossing my fingers and just hoping that my rockets didn't shake apart at launch or even before it (the rockets were just so excited that couldn't keep still). I still love finding absurd designs that "fly", like using chains of radial decouplers to let your SRBs flare out ans spin stabilize the rocket.

Some info on the space brick

MobiusOne

Jul 29, 2019
I made an SSTO for this game! I was so proud of myself when i finally finished it, lol. Video Link. Definitely recommend this game. Its almost as open ended as minecraft in some ways. Perfect for hours of creativity without "burning you out" too much.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Got the game myself back in 0.20. Have been in love with it since. The best part is coming up with a design that when you look at it you say "No way that will make it!", but then it does. The mod support for it is fantastic as well. Wonder if we will ever see self installing mod packs like FTB for it? Who knows.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
I love Kerbal Space Program. :D

Got the game myself back in 0.20. Have been in love with it since. The best part is coming up with a design that when you look at it you say "No way that will make it!", but then it does. The mod support for it is fantastic as well. Wonder if we will ever see self installing mod packs like FTB for it? Who knows.

The only thing really holding the game back from a mod pack is basically RAM, the game is only 32-bit and its very easy to exceed that with only a few large part mods. If you exceed it the game just crashes. Sadly they can't do much about it until a stable 64-bit version of the Unity engine is released.

I've come a long way from the vanilla experience through mods, now a days I build enourmous drilling rigs to mine for Kethane to make fuel and spaceparts for orbital shipyards, build satelitte networks to send probes into deep space, harvest exotic matter from Jool for warp drives. We got cranes, mechs, auto pilots, cargo bays, there's just as big a world of difference between KSP vanilla to modded as there is Minecraft to Minecraft FTB now.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
For anyone confused by this game, Scott Manley is an awesome youtuber who shows you everything you need to know about KSP. He flew to the moon and back... entirely within the capsule, no manuever nodes or mechjeb. Also his 2 missions to unlock the entire science tree (pre nerf) were epic.

I love that there are lots of solutions to the same problem. Many of them more efficient than what you first come up with. Definately agree it needs to go to 64 bit. The number of mods and textures is really limited by this factor. I am looking forward to a vanilla game solution to fuel acquisition. The dev team did unfortunately say they were going to make up fake names for raw materials rather than stick to science like a lot of people wanted.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Ya but Squad has a history of made up names, just look at the names of the planets. If they want to keep the same pseudo-fantasy feel they need to continue that trend. KSP is NOT a flight Sim based in reality. Yes, it uses the real world as a basis for everything that is done but it is not intended to simulate the real world. Yes, there are mods to make it more realistic but those are only mods not Squad.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Ya but Squad has a history of made up names, just look at the names of the planets. If they want to keep the same pseudo-fantasy feel they need to continue that trend. KSP is NOT a flight Sim based in reality. Yes, it uses the real world as a basis for everything that is done but it is not intended to simulate the real world. Yes, there are mods to make it more realistic but those are only mods not Squad.

Of course its just a game. While the names are made up, lots of things are grounded in reality. Most of the rocketry parts are modeled after real kinds of rocket parts. They have nuclear, ion, solid fuel, and liquid fueled engines. They arent named like the real world counterparts, but they are grounded in reality. Having the raw materials be based in reality while being named something absurd would be fine. What I saw previewed to me at the time showed they were made up names and raw materials that werent necessarily grounded in reality.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Of course its just a game. While the names are made up, lots of things are grounded in reality. Most of the rocketry parts are modeled after real kinds of rocket parts. They have nuclear, ion, solid fuel, and liquid fueled engines. They arent named like the real world counterparts, but they are grounded in reality. Having the raw materials be based in reality while being named something absurd would be fine. What I saw previewed to me at the time showed they were made up names and raw materials that werent necessarily grounded in reality.

I see, I was not aware of the fictional nature of the resources themselves. In my mind it does not matter. Squad has created their own reality and so can deviate as much or as little as they wish. It won't change my enjoyment of what is proving to be a great start to what promises to be an awesome game.