Keep a generator fueled all the time?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to keep a generator fully fueled all the time? I'd like to automatically fill stacks of wood into the generator to keep it charging an MFE unit.

Thanks,
Bryan

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. And other mods such as Buildcraft give you more options for automation ^^

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that methood does work good even for your generators. Place a normal minecraft hopper on top, and a chest on top of that. The hopper will pull from the chest and only allow items to drop into the generator (or any other machine below it) when it is able. The chest can act as over flow if needed or just extra storage.

I do the same set up with my ore production. All items from my quarry get sorted with ores get pumped into a diamond chest that's on top of a hopper that's on top of my SAG mil. The chest work swell for over flow and the hoppers drop items in only when they can go in. No worrying about stuff getting backed up in pipes. Plus you can set up the chest for manual imput as well. If you -really- need more over flow room, add more chests and hoppers stacked and just pump stuff into the top of said stack.

That kind of set up works fine for anything you need to place a large amount of items into but don't want stuff clogging up.

Like my town's needing a lot of smelted stone for stone bricks, so I have a tripple chest stack linked by hoppers to hold all the back flow while two smelters have at it.

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that methood does work good even for your generators. Place a normal minecraft hopper on top, and a chest on top of that. The hopper will pull from the chest and only allow items to drop into the generator (or any other machine below it) when it is able. The chest can act as over flow if needed or just extra storage.

I do the same set up with my ore production. All items from my quarry get sorted with ores get pumped into a diamond chest that's on top of a hopper that's on top of my SAG mil. The chest work swell for over flow and the hoppers drop items in only when they can go in. No worrying about stuff getting backed up in pipes. Plus you can set up the chest for manual imput as well. If you -really- need more over flow room, add more chests and hoppers stacked and just pump stuff into the top of said stack.

That kind of set up works fine for anything you need to place a large amount of items into but don't want stuff clogging up.

Like my town's needing a lot of smelted stone for stone bricks, so I have a tripple chest stack linked by hoppers to hold all the back flow while two smelters have at it.

This works great, and it is easy to do. I'll get to automation..... some day.

Bryan

Reactions: Type1Ninja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Hoppers a great, specially for early game semi automation.
But fair warning. Hoppers are(or at least used to be, maybe forge or someone fixed it?) HORRIBLY coded and optimized and you can afaik end up with them being downright small lag machines. Think it is happening when the hoppers inventory is full and it is pulling stuff from an above inventory. If it is empty/half full it should be within reason.
Ofc your world/server wont die from a few hoppers. You probably just don't want to go and make a huge factory of them. Or avoid using them in the busiest places.

But again, I wouldn't be surprised if something somewhere had fixed Mojangs derps to the biggest extend possible. Just not sure :p

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Never had an issue with hopper lag. In normal minecraft I've set up chain networks using hoppers to transport items around. even a sorting system with hoppers. Never had lag.

fgTwCNs.png

That's my set up. The right side is my main ore imput going into my sag mil that goes into my furnace. The diamond pipe sorts items coming in, stuff that don't need smelted get bypassed and head right into the main network, items that can be further grinded down are sent off to the left side with some going in a loop back to get grinded further and sorted back to the furnace if there to be cooked again. Otherwise they take their own path to the main line.
The system extends above the floor with a chest for manual imput of everything.

Yes using this methood you only really need one of every machine. The chests are the perfect backflow catcher, though sense this screeny was taken all the chests been upgraded to at least iron. I've not had need of bigger yet to hold the extra items.

Last edited: