Keep a drone safe (bee)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys

So iv been given some nice drones from my friends on my server... glittering steadfast valuable and industrious... my question is how am I able to breed these bees into a princess while still making sure I dont loose them ? I dont mind loosing it if I have the princess version of it as along as I can get more of them...

I dont know if I was exactly clear on what I wanted to do? Shout if you dont understand

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
no the only way to turn them into a princess is to get a species serum and inject it into another rocky being the best

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Do I get guaranteed the serum from the bee or is there a chance I loos it and get nothing ?

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
Do I get guaranteed the serum from the bee or is there a chance I loos it and get nothing ?

when you pull genes from a bee there are a lot of results you can get the climate they like or the flower or how many baby bees they have not always the species but you are guaranteed a serum a the cost of possible losing said bee

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Well I guess its a risk im going to have to take thanks guys

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
This will help me a lot... so far im just at a stage where I know how to automate apiaries (sorta but ill make another thread for that ) I havent got into the really advanced stuff yet but thanks ilm take a look at this now

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hey guys

So iv been given some nice drones from my friends on my server... glittering steadfast valuable and industrious... my question is how am I able to breed these bees into a princess while still making sure I dont loose them ? I dont mind loosing it if I have the princess version of it as along as I can get more of them...

I dont know if I was exactly clear on what I wanted to do? Shout if you dont understand

Dont waste the drones on serums!

First its almost impossible with just 1 drone. But if you ask your friend nicely you might be able to get 13-14 of each kind. DO NOT BEALYZE THEM! The need to be pristine unscanned drones with stable traits(identical on both sides. If your friend is automating them, they are most likely stable. Else you can try and scan one and keep the rest unscanned.). Put the stack of drone into a simple automated apiary(BC pipe automation is all you need) together with any spare princess you got(Use rocky princess, since they can breed almost anywhere and are quite abundant). Over time with continuous breeding with the drones, the princess will adapt the species/traits of the drones. Let them keep breeding until there is 20+ drones in the apiary(Once the princess has been properly "copied" it will start making identical drones which will stack with the original ones you got from your friend(but will only stack automatically if you didn't bealyze them)). Keep an eye on that the drones don't run out. But if you start the "copying" with 13+ drones that is very unlikely to happen.
Use the new increased amount of drones to copy more princesses, and make sure you store some away for later use/safety.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odovbold

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
That is a genius plan... dont worry I wont bug them too much... just a little but im sure ill take this route of copying the bee

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That is a genius plan... dont worry I wont bug them too much... just a little but im sure ill take this route of copying the bee

Yeah together with the basic understanding of the Mendel genetics mechanic, copying this way is one of those large AHA! things of beekeeping. Once you have crossbred and stabilized a single set of bees of a new species, you can always copy it to make more.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
This will help me a lot... so far im just at a stage where I know how to automate apiaries (sorta but ill make another thread for that ) I havent got into the really advanced stuff yet but thanks ilm take a look at this now

No need for another thread, its really simple:
ETqx4a8.png

1 Apiary
1 Diamond transport pipe
1 Wooden transport Pipe
1 Stone/Cobble/Gold Transport pipe(gold is preferable since it will speed up rebreeding the bees after each life cycle, but not required)
1 Autarchic gate or redstone engine(+redstone signal source)(Just need to power the wooden pipe continuously, nothing fancy needed).

Program the diamond pipe to insert drone and princess back up into the apiary(any princess and drone will do, the diamond pipe cannot tell the difference between different species. I just use Rocky bees here).
LrlO1ln.png

As you can see, I just put something random into the side leading back into the wooden pipe, just to make sure nothing goes back that way. Not really needed, but I guess its an OCD thing.

Now everything in the outpit section of the apiary will automatically be pulled out and piped down into the diamond pipe. It will attempt to input any drone and princess back into the apiary. As long as the drones already stacked in the apiary are not beealyzed, any drone that is identical to them will be allowed to enter, while any hybrids/unstable/excess drones will be rejected and will follow the combs and other products down the black output.
You can link up all the output pipes of all your apiaries(and later alvearies) to send everything down to a single point. Here it is advised to put another diamond pipe to sort out all the drones into a chest/voidpipe and let the rest continue into whatever inventory/sorting network you want the produce delivered to.

This setup can also be used directly as it is on Alvearies.

Example of how I choose to use this on a larger scale:
Lines of producing Apiaries:
B6lP3V1.png

Piping underneath leading any excess drones and the produce down to a single point for sorting and input into ME network:
lHUGm0Y.png

More compact solution. Using these 12 apiaries for copying. I compacted it by blocking up the joining exits of the diamond pipes with some random item. The gold pipes are prevented from joining with Pipe Plugs, however a simpler solution would be to alternate cobble and stone transport pipes.
phNVZUr.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Museli

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I managed to get that done already... im kind of a excessive person when it comes to doing things...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385925770430.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385925770430.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 46

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Im using my phone to reply so that isnt exactly an option

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a single drone or princess of a species you're interested in, and you don't have any direct access to more, my recommended path is:

* Beealyse them first.
* Fully inoculate a maximum quality fertility serum.
* Breed them with another maximum fertility bee, which it cannot mutate with.

The result will be a princess and four new drones. Each new bee will be a hybrid of the parent's races, and will maintain maximum fertility. If you then breed one of the new drones with the new princess, each of the offspring will then have a 25% chance of coming out as a pure version of the race you want, a 25% chance of being a pure version of the race you don't want, and a 50% chance of being another hybrid.

In this manner, assuming you don't quickly end up with a pure princess and drone pair of the type you want, you'll still end up with so many hybrids that isolation becomes a viable option.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I see any of these methods ill need to set up a better infrastructure first but all of them sound like great ways of keeping my bee... each one improving on the last

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
@rhn, you can replace the gold pipe with an iron one instead since you can set iron pipes to go only in one direction.