Just lost a massive chunk of my base...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

nerdnosyd

Jul 29, 2019
So I had just plopped down this industrial electrolyzer gregtech thingy and put in some dust and noticed it was going really slow... so I called up my ME system and politely asked it for a few overclockers and I shoved them into it. It was then getting starved for power and with seemingly no way to remove the overclockers, I resolved myself to pick it up and refund it, cause that's horsecrap. The wrench wouldn't pick it up. So I used a pick. And it exploded... violently, taking a massive chunk of my base with it.

I want to like gregtech but it keeps giving me reasons to delete it and forget it ever existed.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
If you read the Greg Tech thread on the Industrial Craft forums you will see once you put in an overclocker there is no way to remove said overclocker. Not sure about your wrench problem, which wrench did you use? I would highly suggest reading through some Greg Tech wikis or his forum thread over on the IC2 page. He explains alot of what his mod has and why it works the way it does.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
There's other little gotchyas you should be aware of. Water/rain makes your machines burn/explode, a GT machine that explodes not only explodes it also sends high powered energy surges trough the network making other machines potentially explode as well.

Bearing this in mind, GT security 101:
1) have each GT machine have either its transformer or energy storage
2) build them inside, take great care around water
3) always double check you're connecting your machine to the right energy level (however over the machine in your inventory to find out how much it needs)
4) only ever use omniwrenches to remove GT machines. Double right clicking the top usually works. (the only other wrench which can remove those without less is the electric wrench on lossless mode, DO NOT bother with it)
5) you can use a pick to remove casings
6) a redstone current can reverse the function of a transformer, avoid clumped designs unless you know what you're doing.

Have I missed anything?

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
There's other little gotchyas you should be aware of. Water/rain makes your machines burn/explode, a GT machine that explodes not only explodes it also sends high powered energy surges trough the network making other machines potentially explode as well.

3) always double check you're connecting your machine to the right energy level (however over the machine in your inventory to find out how much it needs)
4) only ever use omniwrenches to remove GT machines. Double right clicking the top usually works. (the only other wrench which can remove those without less is the electric wrench on lossless mode, DO NOT bother with it)
6) a redstone current can reverse the function of a transformer, avoid clumped designs unless you know what you're doing.

Have I missed anything?

Those seem like the major ones. A good precaution to avoid power surges is to use a weaker wire into your machine. Say, a gold cable into an industrial electrolizer instead of fibre. (only has to be the last cable going in) This is so that, if a surge occurs, the cable blows up without taking the machine out. Horray breakers!

nerdnosyd

Jul 29, 2019
If you read the Greg Tech thread on the Industrial Craft forums you will see once you put in an overclocker there is no way to remove said overclocker.

The fact isn't listed on any of the wikis is multiple levels of asinine. Forums are not a good delivery method such as 'you can't remove upgrades' or 'using a pick will cause your base to vanish.' Hell I'm not even a big believer of using wikis, I believe that information should be available ingame.

I'm not pissy about losing my base so don't read me wrong; I am upset that a ton of work put into said base over the past couple of days will take hours to rebuild, even using creative mode. What I am pissy about is the lack of a centralized source of information that is critical to have, as a player, so things like, say, losing your base, don't happen.

To clarify, I was using the omniwrench and I thought I spammed it on all sides and it didn't want to break. My only theory is it didn't want to pick up 'cause it was working on some dusts. The only reason I starved it of power was I threw 4 overclockers in it immediately (a habit from placing down macerators, furnaces, recyclers...) before realizing "oh this machine is different, that may actually use too much power-yep sure does."

Reactions: kilteroff

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Have I missed anything?

Good to know. I have not touched IC2/GT in awhile.

At least my habbit of isolating systems with storage and transformers will come in more handy now.

Reactions: whythisname

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
The wrench wouldn't pick it up.

Keyboard-Chair error. The wrench picks industrial electrolyzers up just fine.[DOUBLEPOST=1369519737][/DOUBLEPOST]
Those seem like the major ones. A good precaution to avoid power surges is to use a weaker wire into your machine. Say, a gold cable into an industrial electrolizer instead of fibre. (only has to be the last cable going in) This is so that, if a surge occurs, the cable blows up without taking the machine out. Horray breakers!

Doesn't work due to the packet design of EU. Wire transmits the large packet and only then vaporizes. Transformers do work.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't work due to the packet design of EU. Wire transmits the large packet and only then vaporizes. Transformers do work.
Yes, but if you use gold wire the wire vaporizes on the 512 EU packet, before the higher packets get sent (it's sequential, not all at once). Thus you'd only need to insulate your system against HV surges instead of EV, which is much more manageable since most peoples' power nets are HV anyway with transformers stepping down for specific machines/systems.

@OP: GT is probably the worst documented mod in FTB. In its defense, it's also probably the most frequently updated mod. I will say, though, that the Omniwrench being fiddly with GT machines is pretty well known (this info IS on wikis). The explosion thing is actually mentioned on both the IC2 wiki and the GT wiki, but it's in the sections about the config files.

nerdnosyd

Jul 29, 2019
@OP: GT is probably the worst documented mod in FTB. In its defense, it's also probably the most frequently updated mod. I will say, though, that the Omniwrench being fiddly with GT machines is pretty well known (this info IS on wikis). The explosion thing is actually mentioned on both the IC2 wiki and the GT wiki, but it's in the sections about the config files.

You can say that again. I noticed for machines that the omniwrench worked for (of the GT variety) there was significant lag between hitting machine with the wrench and it actually popping out; don't know what that is about. Need to teach my ME system to make Gravitool as I've never had an issue with them.

I really want to like Gregtech; having an endgame resource sink after I have spent days basically achieving creative mode through survival gameplay would be awesome, rather than "oh I beat Minecraft again; time to go play a different game for a few months!"

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I made a GraviTool mostly because I could and it looked cooler than an electric treetap, but after using it a bit I find it much easier to use than an omniwrench when working with IC2 stuff. Well, GT stuff, I suppose, but so much of my IC2 infrastructure is GT, they sorta run together in my mind.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but if you use gold wire the wire vaporizes on the 512 EU packet, before the higher packets get sent (it's sequential, not all at once)

So, exactly which machines are going to blow up to a 2048 packet but wouldn't with a 512EU packet, and won't encounter 512EU packets during normal operations?

You'll have the same difficulty at every stage.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Look, with that profile picture, what did you expect? You like thunder sir, so bear with it and its consequences.

nerdnosyd

Jul 29, 2019
I made a GraviTool mostly because I could and it looked cooler than an electric treetap, but after using it a bit I find it much easier to use than an omniwrench when working with IC2 stuff. Well, GT stuff, I suppose, but so much of my IC2 infrastructure is GT, they sorta run together in my mind.

I like the Gravitool cause I like one tool that does all the jobs and it functions as a wrench and screwdriver, which is handy when setting up redpower systems that applied energistics just isn't smart enough to do (...yet). Also it uses advanced nanosuit power. Definitely wish it had a more fluid mode switching like the powertool does, though.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
So, exactly which machines are going to blow up to a 2048 packet but wouldn't with a 512EU packet, and won't encounter 512EU packets during normal operations?

You'll have the same difficulty at every stage.
Why specify it not encounter 512EU packets during normal operation? The whole point is to feed things as much power as they can take. So if it won't blow up at 512EU/p, I say feed it 512EU/p.

FWIW: I was primarily thinking about MV transformers (though admittedly I've never actually hooked one up to an EV line to see if it would blow up). However, anything that has 2 transformer upgrades or otherwise deals with HV current would be an obvious possibility. I run my base off an HV mainline stepped down for individual systems, so I try to make sure that if any one system screws up it doesn't bring down the house. An MV transformer with a gold cable means that the highest packet size I have to worry about entering my system is HV, so I'm all set. If your EU mainline is setup to handle EV or you just string all your machines along a single cable, though, these sorts of precautions are a bit silly.

EDIT: after thinking about your question a bit more, I think I figured out what you're confused about. I think you're thinking about the lesser cables as a means of protecting the machines they're connected to. However, it's actually the opposite - having the cables burn out early protects the rest of the system should something go wrong with the machine they're connected to. So all my LV machines will only ever send MV surges into my main system and MV machines will only ever send HV.

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
It reads like " I didn't know what I was doing and it exploded on my face, now I'm off to the forums to complain about it ". Which isn't very nice is it?

Reactions: Abdiel

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: after thinking about your question a bit more, I think I figured out what you're confused about. I think you're thinking about the lesser cables as a means of protecting the machines they're connected to. However, it's actually the opposite - having the cables burn out early protects the rest of the system should something go wrong with the machine they're connected to. So all my LV machines will only ever send MV surges into my main system and MV machines will only ever send HV.

Seems like a lot of effort when a HV transformer accepts any EU size packet, translating it down to 512. That along with judicious use of transformers elsewhere will cause machine loss to be zero (other than the ones you hit with a pickaxe)

nerdnosyd

Jul 29, 2019
It reads like " I didn't know what I was doing and it exploded on my face, now I'm off to the forums to complain about it ". Which isn't very nice is it?

More of a cautionary tale was its intent and I'll fully admit that I didn't know what I was doing but should we really discourage experimenting with new things? Isn't that how progress is achieved?

My only possible complaint is the lack of a centralized source of information regarding all the mods and/or that information to be available in game. Thaumcraft is the only mod that I can think of that does it right, but this is really a topic for a different post.

Reactions: kilteroff