Is there an objectively best power source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to power converters, we can directly compare power sources that don't produce the same type of energy. For example, a fusion reactor produces about 13482 mj/t with a power converter - pretty much 94 times as much as a 36hp boiler. Not that that's very helpful since you have to take into account the startup costs, running costs, space required... as well as a few others I haven't thought of. Would it be helpful to compile a list of power sources, in order of how good they are? I can think of a few obvious ones: thermal generators are superior to geothermals since they produce 20% more power for a given amount of lava, with not-much-higher startup costs. But there's a lot of stuff I've never used before, as well as some things that won't have crossed my mind... perhaps you guys could help? :)

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Converters are not the way to compare. PowerCrystals has his own view on conversion ratios, so if one made other converters, relative efficiency would change.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Converters are not the way to compare. PowerCrystals has his own view on conversion ratios, so if one made other converters, relative efficiency would change.
Oh. I never knew that. Well, at the very least, would it be worth trying to compare power supplies for the same power type?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
You know, the nicest thing about this modpack is that it doesn't even matter - that much. Sure if you gimp yourself with only using extremely inefficient power producers then you're probably going to have a bad time, But in all honesty, all you ever need to do is...

Build more.

I'm slowly also starting to realize that the only currency in this game is Time. There is nothing else.

Wonderful example. You can get more iridium from your UU matter by making it into platinum and centrifuging that. The time and energy cost is much higher though, so that's just a mental trap. It takes more time, thus is the more inefficient method.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
For the same power type, I think it's possible. But it's more like personal preferences. Some prefer solars, some windmills, and the other (like me) like steam turbines...

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
You know, the nicest thing about this modpack is that it doesn't even matter - that much. Sure if you gimp yourself with only using extremely inefficient power producers then you're probably going to have a bad time, But in all honesty, all you ever need to do is...

Build more.

I'm slowly also starting to realize that the only currency in this game is Time. There is nothing else.

Wonderful example. You can get more iridium from your UU matter by making it into platinum and centrifuging that. The time and energy cost is much higher though, so that's just a mental trap. It takes more time, thus is the more inefficient method.

Pretty much this.

The beautiful thing about Minecraft is you can ALWAYS build more. Sure, it'll take more time and effort to fuel a base off of a less efficient fuel source, but I guarantee you'll feel more accomplished for it.

Reactions: Quesenek

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
If you have Mystcraft in your modpack it is very hard to beat the various forms of solar, simply because you can make an age that removes most of the weaknesses of solar (no night time, no rain, etc.).

I think bees->oil->fuel->steam is pretty good too and is definitely more fun than a non-moving field of solar panels.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I imagine the objectively best power source would be the one that produced the most amount of energy using the least amount of blocks.

But then you could argue that the amount of blocks doesn't matter, since Minecraft is infinite.

So, I don't know. If there is one, it's probably not important enough to make a huge deal over.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
The power converters default ratio for EU, MJ, and Steam is exact/pretty close to the ingame options except for conversion to EU where you get about 60% more than equally free in game method.

Like EU to MJ 5:2 is the same as electric engine with efficiency upgrade.
Steam 5:1 MJ is the same as railcraft's MJ engines.

His factorization and UE numbers are off, but for the release in ultimate factorization did not have the steam generator. Factorization newer version that uses steam directly gave an easy reference point for charge. UE is hard to pin down the conversion in game, but in later versions the mod internally values 100 AE watts at 1mj and 40 AE watts as 1 EU.

As an additional reference point applied energistics converts to its internal power units in the following ratio 5 units = 1 MJ, 2.5 EU, 100 AE Watts). Same ratios as you get basing the conversions of electrical engines and UE's internal ratio.

Going to EU does not match up to in game options because it has to be the inverse of the items above. If you tied it to steam turbine or lava/magma crucibles you would get about 60% lower output. You can't do that and keep a lossless system as 1 MJ has to equal 2.5 EU. In game you get about 1-1.5 EU per MJ free, or ~2.5 if you use netherrack in a magma crucible. So it would probably feel too strong if you convert all your input power systems to output EU as a final output. If you use EU as your distance transmission lines and convert back to other systems at the end it will make sense.

Powerconverters is not balanced to simulate the ingame conversion available in the mods. It is to allow lossless conversion between the power sources.

For my play, based on my research I have updated the conversion ratio's to the following:
ratios {
I:BuildCraftInternalEnergyPerEachInput=1000
I:BuildCraftInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=1000
I:FactorizationInternalEnergyPerEachInput=80
I:FactorizationInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=80
I:IndustrialCraftInternalEnergyPerEachInput=400
I:IndustrialCraftInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=400
I:SteamInternalEnergyPerEachInput=200
I:SteamInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=200
I:UniversalElectricityInternalEnergyPerEachInput=10
I:UniversalElectricityInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=10
}

Default:
ratios {
I:BuildCraftInternalEnergyPerEachInput=4375
I:BuildCraftInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=4375
I:FactorizationInternalEnergyPerEachInput=1458
I:FactorizationInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=1458
I:IndustrialCraftInternalEnergyPerEachInput=1800
I:IndustrialCraftInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=1800
I:SteamInternalEnergyPerEachInput=875
I:SteamInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=875
I:UniversalElectricityInternalEnergyPerEachInput=10
I:UniversalElectricityInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=10
}

If you wanted to add loss to some or all the conversions you can simply add to the output line.

Based on the default ratios, charge is the best power source, but to get it in bulk you need factorization updated to a version that runs off steam. Run the charge steam turbine directly off a railcraft boiler and you will make a crazy amount of charge which is way overvalued in the default ratios.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Fusion power runs off highly refined water and counting the EU cost to refine the fuel directly from water it's 90% fuel efficient, and that fuel is effectively free.

Fusion power is objectively the supreme power source for literally all problems involving power, especially with Power Converters. The problem is actually obtaining one, but as soon as you've got it you'll never look back.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, his converters don't bother about equipment cost. And steam->eu is wrong.

It is wrong in the sense it does not match an in-game option given in railcraft.

But it is the correct ratio to allow you to convert 720 Steam -> EU -- transmit over a distance --> convert to 144 MJ.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
It is wrong in the sense it does not match an in-game option given in railcraft.
Yes. And that's the only valid conversion ratio. Steam was introduced by railcraft. Any other option to convert steam to eu is like making diamonds out of dirt.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Fusion power runs off highly refined water and counting the EU cost to refine the fuel directly from water it's 90% fuel efficient, and that fuel is effectively free.

Fusion power is objectively the supreme power source for literally all problems involving power, especially with Power Converters. The problem is actually obtaining one, but as soon as you've got it you'll never look back.

I've done a LOT with FTB, but a Fusion Reactor is something I have never gotten close to.

I would hope that it's objectively the best, considering that insane material cost.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
I've done a LOT with FTB, but a Fusion Reactor is something I have never gotten close to.

I would hope that it's objectively the best, considering that insane material cost.

If your measure of quality is EU/t/area Ultimate Solars probably still win in a permanent day, no rain age. However, fusion reactors have them beat handily in Iridium/EU/t.
Although the new versions of GregTech make them a lot bigger, more expensive, and harder to keep fueled, so, sadly, it looks like solar will be better again.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
If your measure of quality is EU/t/area Ultimate Solars probably still win in a permanent day, no rain age. However, fusion reactors have them beat handily in Iridium/EU/t.

Do you mean I/(EU/t) or (I/EU)/t? Probably the first, in which case you should be using the unit Iridium-tick/EU.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
While the big minds are marching around throwing their mathematical spells at one another, the Fuzzlewhumper sneaks in under the radar and drops down the stirling engine and some coal and says, "There ya go, bestest ever power supply!"

Giving no numbers, logic, reason, or method - just his crappy opinion which is almost 100% wrong 99% of the time.

Reactions: RedBoss and Whovian