Is there a way to make colored wood planks?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Staying on some builds on part of my farm, and one of the things I want to make is a large pole barn. But I need red, black, and white wood planks. Is there a way to get colored ones, or to change the color of the ones I have.

I have the DW20 pack, with a few mods added.

Thanks.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utililites should suffice for that. It adds some colored planks, made with a paintbrush(made with sticks and string IIRC), some dye, and planks, but there are other options.(and indeed, more things you can color)

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Extra Utililites should suffice for that. It adds some colored planks, made with a paintbrush(made with sticks and string IIRC), some dye, and planks, but there are other options.(and indeed, more things you can color)

So one option is to paint with extra utilities. How is this done exactly? As far as the other options, what do those entail?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The painting with XU is actually rather easy, take some dye, 7 of the object you want to paint, and craft all that with the paintbrush.
As for other options, that can mean other things you can paint/dye, or other mods/options on how to paint/dye them. Mostly it boils down to painting/dyeing stone bricks as well as planks, but occasionally other options present themselves, and as for how it's done, it often changes from one mod to another but usually is either crafting bench style, but some allow for in game painting as well.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
The painting with XU is actually rather easy, take some dye, 7 of the object you want to paint, and craft all that with the paintbrush.
As for other options, that can mean other things you can paint/dye, or other mods/options on how to paint/dye them. Mostly it boils down to painting/dyeing stone bricks as well as planks, but occasionally other options present themselves, and as for how it's done, it often changes from one mod to another but usually is either crafting bench style, but some allow for in game painting as well.

This way works well enough and does it easy enough to understand, and easy enough to automate with AE. :)

Thanks again

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013

Meant to ask since some colors are in short supply, is there a way to make a farm of flowers sotospeak that harvests, and stuff like that ?

Or do I have to wander around aimlessly looking for them?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Meant to ask since some colors are in short supply, is there a way to make a farm of flowers sotospeak that harvests, and stuff like that ?

Or do I have to wander around aimlessly looking for them?
Flowers? I suggest using some Bees for that. Those who see me post here often enough recognize that I'm a broken record when it comes to proposing a solution with bees, but this is actually the best case for bees.
Make a scoop(6 sticks and 1 wool) and find some hives. You'll want forest/meadows bees for this, but later on any kind will do if you are smart/careful. Then make either a apiary(or trade with a apiarist villager for one if he has that trade, or just steal his, and trust me, those bees in them are crap[but what would you expect from a Testificate Apiarist?]) if you have the stuff to spare, or if you're in a pinch, make a bee house(or twenty) with 3 wooden slabs, 5 wooden planks, and a honey comb(slabs on top, comb in the middle, boat shape with planks), and place those bees near some flowers(roses or flowers will suffice, BoP ones are harder to get to work in my experience), and assuming that they can work where you are(ideally a plains biome, as that is normal temp/normal humid, and both forest and meadows bees actually only work in those conditions unless bred to work elsewhere).

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Flowers? I suggest using some Bees for that. Those who see me post here often enough recognize that I'm a broken record when it comes to proposing a solution with bees, but this is actually the best case for bees.
Make a scoop(6 sticks and 1 wool) and find some hives. You'll want forest/meadows bees for this, but later on any kind will do if you are smart/careful. Then make either a apiary(or trade with a apiarist villager for one if he has that trade, or just steal his, and trust me, those bees in them are crap[but what would you expect from a Testificate Apiarist?]) if you have the stuff to spare, or if you're in a pinch, make a bee house(or twenty) with 3 wooden slabs, 5 wooden planks, and a honey comb(slabs on top, comb in the middle, boat shape with planks), and place those bees near some flowers(roses or flowers will suffice, BoP ones are harder to get to work in my experience), and assuming that they can work where you are(ideally a plains biome, as that is normal temp/normal humid, and both forest and meadows bees actually only work in those conditions unless bred to work elsewhere).
So do bees produce flowers on their own ?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So do bees produce flowers on their own ?
Yes and no. They need a flower to start, and they occasionally make others appear, but only if the flower type for the bee you're using is set to "flowers".

But basically, yes, they do. Assuming you aren't using complex, later bees that don't want those basic flowers.[DOUBLEPOST=1397802315][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes they do, but if you're in a pinch i guess you could have an autonomous activator bonemeal a patch of grass and another with a bucket of water.
At that point I'd just suggest using a watering can and watering the world. Less bonemeal wasted, but not as quick.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Yes and no. They need a flower to start, and they occasionally make others appear, but only if the flower type for the bee you're using is set to "flowers".

But basically, yes, they do. Assuming you aren't using complex, later bees that don't want those basic flowers.[DOUBLEPOST=1397802315][/DOUBLEPOST]
At that point I'd just suggest using a watering can and watering the world. Less bonemeal wasted, but not as quick.
True, but since a basic drop tower mob farm gives me more bones than i know what to do with, i don't mind. :)

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a good way to automatically harvest all those flowers, there is a Steve's carts module that can harvest flowers. I think it is called the lawn mower (but it also shears sheep). They have a good range and if you slap one onto a basic iron cart with a solar panel and some storage you should be able to make a really good dye farm. Just make sure at least one flower is left within the range of all of your bees. Unlike some of the stuff you see in Steve's carts, this cart is not particularly expensive, easily an early mid-game objective, and they look cool.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a good way to automatically harvest all those flowers, there is a Steve's carts module that can harvest flowers. I think it is called the lawn mower (but it also shears sheep). They have a good range and if you slap one onto a basic iron cart with a solar panel and some storage you should be able to make a really good dye farm. Just make sure at least one flower is left within the range of all of your bees. Unlike some of the stuff you see in Steve's carts, this cart is not particularly expensive, easily an early mid-game objective, and they look cool.
Yes, but do I need to use a Galgordian one to not have to replace the mower blades now and then?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but do I need to use a Galgordian one to not have to replace the mower blades now and then?
No, I am pretty sure it has infinite durability. Of the top of my head, the only tools that need to upgraded to galgadorian level to gain maximum effectiveness and infinite durability are the drill, the woodcutter and the farmer. Outside of those three tools, SC2 has a huge amount of content that is pretty easy to get, including the best loose item entity vacuum in the game (imo).