Is there a way to make a light or indicator that indicates...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

EazyCheeze1978

Jul 29, 2019
When, among other things (chests or other containers), MineFactory Reloaded machines like the Fertilizer are empty? It would be wonderful if I could have an indicator like that up in my office so I don't have to head out to the fields to constantly monitor fertilizer levels (got an almost totally automated farm going on, heh) Just wondering; it would be cool.

Oh BTW I (and the friend's server on which I play) am still on FTB Ultimate 1.4.7.

EazyCheeze1978

Jul 29, 2019
Which one? Just the Gate? And how do I use it? Just put it next to the fertilizer and when it's empty, a redstone signal is made? Or is a Gate a component of a machine I need to make? If so, how?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
pop any pipe next to the inventory you're wanting to check, then put a gate on the pipe. You need to make an assembly table and at least 1 laser. And I believe just the standard gate will work. You only need the single variable.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend a cobble stone structure pipe if your not already using build craft pipes with the containers. Put the gate on it and right it to adjust the UI to fit your needs.

EazyCheeze1978

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I tried using gates to detect varieties of conditions, but the problem was that the gates emitting redstone signals would turn the machines that I'm using off! Like MineFactory Reloaded's Fertilizer, or Planter or Harvester (and when I attached a pipe to this, the food that was supposed to go into my attached pneumatic tube fell out of the pipe). This isn't good for my purposes, as I would like simply indicators of what machines are working how, and not turning them off :) Pipe Wire doesn't work, apparently; as soon as the Gate is more than one block away from the machine, it doesn't detect the extra conditions of the machine regardless of Pipe Wire usage. :/

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I tried using gates to detect varieties of conditions, but the problem was that the gates emitting redstone signals would turn the machines that I'm using off! Like MineFactory Reloaded's Fertilizer, or Planter or Harvester (and when I attached a pipe to this, the food that was supposed to go into my attached pneumatic tube fell out of the pipe). This isn't good for my purposes, as I would like simply indicators of what machines are working how, and not turning them off :) Pipe Wire doesn't work, apparently; as soon as the Gate is more than one block away from the machine, it doesn't detect the extra conditions of the machine regardless of Pipe Wire usage. :/

Use at least iron gates and propagate the signal via pipe wire instead of redstone. This is one of the reasons pipe wire exists.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
If the fertilizer inventory is empty (signal on) then theres also no point in it working. As soon as it receives fertilizer the redstone signal will turn off and the machine will work again.

Also, like KirinDave mentioned you can use pipe wires, but that means a few extra components that can be avoided in this case.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Pipe Wire doesn't work, apparently; as soon as the Gate is more than one block away from the machine, it doesn't detect the extra conditions of the machine regardless of Pipe Wire usage. :/

This is a genuine question and I don't mean to patronise, apologies if you know this, but you need to run the FULL LENGHT of the pipe that you want to carry the red pipe signal AND you need to use a minimum of IRON gate to be able to send/interpret the signal.

So a setup that would work for you would be to:
  • Put a buildcraft pipe next to the machine
  • Run the pipe away from the machine for 2-3 blocks (or far enough that a redstone signal wont mess anything up)
  • Run redpipe wire along the WHOLE length of the pipe
  • Put a Iron or better (It needs to be iron to be able to output redpipe signal) next to the machine
  • Set it up to send a redpipe signal when the machine is empty (or whatever condition you are tracking)
  • Put an Iron gate (or better) on the other end of the pipe line
  • Set up this second iron gate to emit a redstone signal when it recieves a redpipe signal
  • Run this signal through a wireless redstone transmitter to a wireless redstone receiver in your base/house linked up to a light/lamp
Voilá, you have a light in your house that turns on/off when you run out of whatever it is you are tracking.

Infallible

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
If you use a cobble stone structure pipe you will not experience the issue of minefactory choosing to eject into it, instead of your red power tubes. For your setup it would be best to use 3 cobble stone structure pipes and 2 iron gates of any type connected with pipe wire.

EazyCheeze1978

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, thank you very very much! That works; the Fertilizer is still working after I extend the signal using Pipe Wire; that doesn't cause a redstone signal so doesn't interfere with the machine's operation, so I'll extend it to my other machines. And I will remember the cobblestone structure pipes. Didn't see those before. :) Thanks everyone!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, thank you very very much! That works; the Fertilizer is still working after I extend the signal using Pipe Wire; that doesn't cause a redstone signal so doesn't interfere with the machine's operation, so I'll extend it to my other machines. And I will remember the cobblestone structure pipes. Didn't see those before. :) Thanks everyone!

I'm curious why you'd need to monitor fertilizer levels? Put a few cows over an upgraded sewer and you're good.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have a sewer with a 4 radius upgrade near my cow and chicken pens. It makes more than enough fertilizer to keep my tree farm running at full steam (running at 2MJ/tick) and extra left over to assist with my other farms. I think I only have about 2 dozen total animals.

I can see using a gate indicator if you are crafting fertilizer out of materials, but the MFR sewer and composter route is probably the best to go.